Hydrogenated fat free bread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Hydrogenated fat free bread

I was wondering if anyone knew of hydrogenated fat free bread? I have recently returned to a low carb diet (lost 4 kg since Christmas!) and my partner is keen to try also (he's not overweight but just interested from a health perspective). I have steered him away from his daily sausage roll, (replaced by natural yogurt with fresh fruit) but the main sticking point is that he has a bread roll/sandwich at lunch time and I have read that bread is high in hydrogenated fat. I am just wondering if anyone knows of an alternative?
    • Re: Hydrogenated fat free bread

Hey Dani :)

Low carb bread? If so, have you looked at the low carb bread recipes here? Oopsie rolls are a good alternative.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Thanks Sherrie, I don't think he'll survive without the carbs as he runs so much so I'll keep a look out for something, I know there's a few American brands. The oopsie rolls look wonderful and I will definitely give them a go as I totally avoid bread, I was using eggplant as a pizza base, these will make a great alternative.

I can't wait until there is better info on hydrogenated fats in our food, I eat butter and cold pressed oils but it is going difficult to keep it out of my little one's diet as he grows (he is still on breastmilk only, but about to introduce food) as it appears to be in just about everything!

Ok you can usually find some decent bread in an organic shop or being in the country you might have a good bakery that makes a nice clean bread. Bread should only have about 4 or 5 ingredients. flour, yeast, salt, sugar and if you want lots of air some fat. That's it.

I can give you a really nice basic bread recipe that you bake in the oven which I have used with both bread flour and spelt flour with great success but you may not feel comfortable with baking it and refraining from eating some.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Look into Dave's Killer Bread. It is amazingly wholesome and organic. There are actually many you can choose from.

Also my wife makes an awesome wheat bread that tastes amazing and nothing like regular store bought wheat breads. Here is the recipe:

100% Whole Grain Wheat Bread (AWESOME!)

Ingredients

2 3/4 cups hot water
      1/3 cup olive oil
      1/2 cup honey
      1 tablespoon salt
      7 1/2 cups of 100% whole grain wheat flour
      2 tablespoons dry active yeast

Directions

• Place the first four ingredients in the bowl and mix.
      • Add: 2 Cups 100% Whole Grain Wheat Flour. Mix then add 2 Tbs. of Dry Active Yeast.
      • Add: 4 Cups of 100% Whole Grain Wheat Flour.
      • Mix until the consistency is some what even. Then continue to slowly add flour 1/2 Cup at a time until the dough quits sticking to the sides of the bowl. It should be tacky to the touch. The trick is to have enough consistency to stand up with the least amount of flour so the bread will be fluffy. It will most likely be 7 1/2 cups of wheat flour.
      • Once the dough no longer sticks to the side of the bowl let it mix an additional 7-8 minutes or until gluten has developed.
      • When your dough is finished, leave it in the mixer, cover the bowl and let it rise for about 30-45 minutes. The dough will be larger but it doesn't need to double.
      • Grease two bread pans with olive oil.
      • Mix the dough again enough to knock it down to the original size.
      • Drop the dough on a floured surface so you can work the dough and shape it. Cut the dough in half. Shape each loaf individually. Press the dough into a rectangle that is as long as the loaf pan and slightly less than twice as wide as it is long. At the narrow end, roll the dough tightly, jelly-roll style. Pinch the ends and seam to seal. Drop the loaves in your bread pans, with the seam on the bottom of the pan, and let them rise until almost doubled, about 20 min. Bake in a preheated oven at 325 for 36 minutes.
      • When done turn the bread out of the pan to a rack to cool. You can eat it right away. Don't wrap it until completely cooled. If you put it in the refrigerator it will turn into a brick.