sugar cravings at night helllllp!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: sugar cravings at night helllllp!

well it doesnt usually matter what i have for dinner, the craving comes about 10 mins after i have eaten.
      tonight i had a salad and a some roast chicken and one slice of grain bread.
      is that bad?
      i didnt think it was...

Well it depends, there might not be enough fibre or fat to slow absorption of your meal down plus when you eat carbs (bread) it tend to make you hungry quickly afterwards. Or if you're not eating enough during the day that could cause problems at night.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Nah don't worry about it. There's a recipe in the recipe section called oopsie rolls, you might want to give them a try and see if you like them.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that it is probably the bread that does that and it is not aloud on induction at all.
      For that something sweet, try this and take your time licking it off the spoon.

For my other creation, My sweet tooth...I weigh out two oz philly cream cheese, micrwave for 50 sec, add 1 tsp pure cocoa,orange extract, mix and eat ssslllooowww. mmmm
      I am only on week two and I have started this eating plan so many times and never made it to the first week. I have to make it to the two weeks this time!
      Good luck to you.

Night eaters most commonly have little or no appetite upon awakening in the morning, and may not feel hungry for the first time of the day until afternoon. They then would tend to overeat from dinnertime onward throughout the night, frequently consuming an excess of calories after dinner. This pattern of pattern of deprivation during the day, and over consumption of calories at night leads to weight gain and eventually obesity.

Night eating syndrome is now recognized as a specific type of eating disorder. Not only is this syndrome an eating disorder, but one of mood and sleep as well.

the above is from a site called UltraPrevention.com. This is me, the way i have been all my life! it sounds like melatonin and/or Leptin might help.

any input, Sherrie?

The post was edited 1 time, last by AlaskaLinda ().

Hi Linda

(just posted a long post which disappeared, bummer. So here the short version:)

I can totally understand how you feel. I always felt like a big undisciplined pig. I was never really overweight, cos I exercised and also was quite controlled during the day. But it really got me psychologically, made me feel bad about myself!

there is a book called 'Overcoming Night eating Syndrome', really good, by the researchers who found out about the NES, in plain English, tho. Dr. Kelly C Allison, Dr. Albert Stunkard. It recommends a number of ways to tackle it, from 5HTP to behavioral therapy to anti-depressants. It also describes 4 different types. It seems to be partly genetic, partly learned behavior. My mum has it. One of my sisters has it, both not as bad as me, tho. One of the types is the 'compelled evening and nighttime overeater', who does not get up in the middle of the might as well (which is what I used to do), but stays up late, continues to eat after their dinner well into the night before they are ready to fall asleep. If you tell me a bit more about you, I can help you better, if you think this is you.

I have tried a lot of things, and about 6 months ago started on prozac. That helped straight away, and since then I have probably had about max 10 episodes of night chocolate binges (or other carbs). Much better!

Any question, feel free to ask me.

I am not very active on this forum, as you can see, as i am also on a forum called 'Cohens', an eating plan which I lost 15 kilos with (and managed to mostly keep off for a year now). It's also very low carbs.

Cheers

Katrin

And yeah, try the melatonin. Also, try the tryptophan and 5HTP. If you're in the US, that should not be a problem. Then, if that doesn't help, try the sertraline (prozac). Took me a while to get my head around it, as I am surely not depressed. I could not believe the effect it had.

And I am glad you have now got a name for it, as when I first found out, I nearly wanted to cry cos I was so relieved that 'it wasn't my fault'.
      Katrin

kagiesen wrote:

Hi Linda

(just posted a long post which disappeared, bummer. So here the short version:)

I can totally understand how you feel. I always felt like a big undisciplined pig. I was never really overweight, cos I exercised and also was quite controlled during the day. But it really got me psychologically, made me feel bad about myself!

this is ME!!!

there is a book called 'Overcoming Night eating Syndrome',

i will look for this book immediately

It seems to be partly genetic, partly learned behavior. My mum has it.

i never thought about it before, but now that you mention it, my Dad had this problem, too. he died at age 59 of pancreatic cancer. hmmm

One of the types is the 'compelled evening and nighttime overeater', who does not get up in the middle of the might as well (which is what I used to do), but stays up late, continues to eat after their dinner well into the night before they are ready to fall asleep. If you tell me a bit more about you, I can help you better, if you think this is you.

this is exactly what i do. i can go all day, eating only a single egg, or a small bit of meat....but once i start eating dinner, i am like a bottomless pit. since beginning Atkins, i've worked hard to eat breakfast and lunch....but too often, i save those calories and carbs for dinnertime, and after. ever since my husband died, it's been even worse. i *never* want to go to sleep at night. i eat a big dinner, then munch, thru the evening. then i don't want to go to sleep on a full stomach, so i stay up late. and then feel 'hungry' again.....so i eat, and stay up later......over and over, til i just collapse. i never get up to eat, after going to bed (at least there's that!):rolleyes:

I have tried a lot of things, and about 6 months ago started on prozac. That helped straight away, and since then I have probably had about max 10 episodes of night chocolate binges (or other carbs). Much better!

Any question, feel free to ask me.

thank you so very much!!! i took prozac for a short time, when hubby first became ill. but i didn't like how it made me kinda jittery. i don't have objections to it in general, so it's good to know there are levels of options to try first. truly, i never thought this problem was solve-able. i really did think it was a part of my personal character flaws. this gives me such an optimisitic feeling!!

I am not very active on this forum, as you can see, as i am also on a forum called 'Cohens', an eating plan which I lost 15 kilos with (and managed to mostly keep off for a year now). It's also very low carbs.

i'm so glad that you happened to share your info on this topic, on a day when i was going thru all new posts! serendipity! Congratulations on your excellent weight loss.....i look so forward to learning more about this. thank you again, Katrin! :)

Linda

(better post this quick before i lose it....i hate it when that happens! ;) )

This all sounds a bit familiar !
      I know a lot of times for me it is thirst. So make sure you have a good drink of water with your dinner but if that doesn't do it - try this, it works for me.
      As soon as I get that sugar/sweet crave I make myself a big glass of diet softdrink (diet rite) and I add a dash of cream, (it doesn't need to be much).
      I like to drink it through a straw.
      Just really satisfies me, and I don't think it has stopped me from losing although I am a slow loser.

Then there's always the good old diet jelly to help you through these cravings as well. Serve with a little cream.

Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.

those suggestions are good ones. thanks, Janal!

my nighttime cravings are not just sweet-cravings....now i just want to eat SOMETHING. it's like....at nighttime, i never feel full.....not that i'm hungry per se; just obsessed ....it's gotta be that emotional component.....or maybe i am missing chemicals/minerals ? I'm gonna try to find that book tomorrow, before i leave, so i can read it on my 8-hour :( flight.