New and lots to lose

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• New and lots to lose

Hi everyone

Some info on me. I am 41, shhhh. I have low carbed about 6 years ago but only lasted about 4-5 months and then fell pregnant. Wow was that a surprise, I have PCOS and hadn’t fallen pregnant in previous 10 years with my husband. Hubby always says ‘Atkins has a lot to answer for’, always said in a very joking way. Fell off the bandwagon and now 2 kids later and put the weight back on I lost and more.:o Particularly the last 18 months since I have started doing 24/7 rotating shiftwork. I have been procrastinating over getting back into my low carb regime but kept putting it off. Last year was a big enough upheaval with our house going gluten free for my son who was diagnosed coeliac. But huge slap about the back of head late last year for the first time having cholesterol level being not good and being diagnosed as pre-diabetic. Tore up the statin script and metformin script and told my GP I would come back in 6 months and retest but I was going diet and exercise first. Judging by his reaction, not much support on this route, so I am on the lookout for a different GP. Hoping I can find one who is supportive of this lifestyle. I am lucky to have an extremely supportive hubby who is my number one supporter and is doing his best to get his head around my new lifestyle.

Have a mindset of 2009 being the beginning of the new me. Time to put some of my focus back on me. This time round I am not as anal as what I was first time being so focused on just carbs. This time I am trying to make this adjustment more a long sustainable change to lifestyle and keep in mind the protein/fat/carb percentages and making sure I don’t drop my calories too low.

I started back on Atkins 1st December and so far have lost 10.4 kgs. Still a long way to go but the difference I can notice already. The only BSL level I was struggling with, even with a low carb dinner, was my fasting and it is now starting to drop. Not where it should be but about 0.5 down on what it was so it is getting better. I probably anticipate I need to lose some where in the regions of 70 kgs. :eek: Gawd how that looks awful when you put it that way but at 10 kgs down I am already about 15% of the way there. As much as possible I try and look at the glass is half full.

The last few weeks I am even being able to be more active, it is bloody hard work lugging 70kgs too much around but I am finding I am more motivated and am able to walk and cycle more so looking forward to gaining some fitness as this journey continues. Don't think I will ever become a gym junkie but I guess never say never.

I have been lurking for a few weeks and found some great tips and already have a pile of recipes to try once my madhouse settles down in a week or so. Eldest back to school this week, yeah!, and my youngest is having tonsils and adenoids out on Wednesday.

So here’s my intro so to speak before I start dipping my toe into the forums. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and sharing the good/bad times.

Time for bed for me, graveyard shift tonight.

Cheers

Nicole
    • Re: New and lots to lose

Hi Nicole, nice to meet you and welcome. I also have heaps to lose, so I guess the best thing about this forum is that we will be here for some time :)
      You have made a great start. I have been lurking here for about 6 months and have recently started a diary to keep myself going in 2009.
      You will find lots of help and encouragement here.
      cheers Hen

Hi Crazymum, Great intro. You're off to a great start and this forum will help you when the going gets tough.
      The LC Lifestyle works well with the coeliacs as well.
      The metformin is one of the better drugs to be taking and will help with the insulin resistance so that may be one to reconsider.
      My HbA1c is now down to 5.4 and it use to be 8.5. That's all thanks to LC.

Well enjoy your new lifestyle and if you have any questions - ask away..!
      Cheers

Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.

Welcome Nicole :)

10kgs is fantastic, you're doing well!

Regarding finding a doctor, the one I am seeing is really supportive of low carb, he has done some training in nutritional medicine where they believe in trying to fix things through diet and lifestyle with the help of supplements if needed and drugs as a last resort. Anyway, he's obviously no where near you! But for others he recommends a website for an organisation that offer these courses, seminars etc on nutritional medicine to doctors and practitioners. On this website they have a tool where you can find doctors and practitioners near you that have undertaken their courses. I don't have the link at the top of my head but I added it to the first post of the Thyroid 101 thread in the womens health section. I think their name is ACNEM or something similar. You might find the Thyroid 101 thread handy anyway.

I really love your attitude!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Thanks feels good, still have another ten to loose, but hey will get there.
      Last November, I had two falls and ended in the QEH for a week, and I took it as a wake up call. I needed to re think my life and how I was living it. Am still going through property settlement issues, and had let him intimidate me to an all time lo, and thus a silly action on my behalf, had this fall. I had a few tests while there, and had to go back for a check up, and am glad to say all is a ok, and dont have to go back there. Except for skin irratations.