my favorite breakfast cake

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• my favorite breakfast cake

This is my variation of the classic 1-minute flaxmeal muffin:

1/4 cup flaxmeal
      1/2 tsp baking powder
      2 tsp cocoa powder
      1 packet splenda
      --mix well in a coffee mug, with a fork--
      add:
      1 egg
      1/4 tsp vanilla
      1 tsp melted butter
      --mix well again, microwave 60 to 70 seconds. dump out of mug, to cool on a rack or paper towels

I make this every morning before work, and eat it mid-morning, after it's cooled off. It's yummy when hot, but seems to take longer to eat, once it's cooled. I slice it and spread with a little butter. very filling and such a nice chocolate fix!

When i was traveling, i made one up ahead of time, cooled it and sliced into 6 thin slices. I spread 3 of the slices with my favorite choco-philly stuff* and topped with plain slices. I wrapped each little sandwich cake individually, and had a wonderful treat to munch on while on the planes. sooooo good, like a LC Hostess cupcake :)
      *choco-philly stuff: 1.5 oz philly
      1 tsp cocoa powder
      approx 1 tsp Davinici's Hazelnut sugarfree syrup
      Mash together til smooth-microwave 10 sec if necessary

Flaxmeal has been a wonderful thing for keeping me uhmmm.....regular ;)
    • Re: my favorite breakfast cake

This is an exceptional treat and I have made three already! You are so right about the ease and portability of this breakie. We will be off in caravan soon for up to 4 months and I only have a stove top, griller and microwave oven so was getting a bit nervous about leaving my gas oven behind since I have discovered Oopsie Rolls, Baked Cheesecake Muffins, Almond Thins and so many more.

Variations: Leaving out the cocoa powder and vanilla I used the other ingredients as the base recipe.

Cheese Muffin Breakfast
      1 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese
      2 teaspoons grated cheddar cheese

Blueberry Muffin
      4-5 frozen blueberries
      1 teaspoon raspberry syrup

You could try a mix of linseed meal and almond meal with a few slivered almonds on top or in the mix with almond essence

How about bacon pieces and cheese?

It is so versatile and delicious. Endless possibilties.

Yum, I just made this for a yummy snack to have this Friday evening while DH is watching the gritty Britties (which I can't stand). I added a tiny bit of coconut too, and I used LSA instead of just linseed, 'cos I didn't have any. Great texture, and just a smear of butter makes this a very satisfying bread-like snack. I melted the tiny bit of butter in the same mug and then added all the other ingredients so I didn't have to use another container. Fantastic recipe, thank you!

I have been playing with these too. I love using 1 teas vanilla essence instead of the chocolate to get a really lovely vanilla flavour. Also using coconut oil instead of butter in the mixture - adds another flavour dimension.

Going to try some savoury ones now.:)
      cheers Hen

Omg, I want to try this. Am getting sick of the omelettes to take to work and eat before 6:30 in the morning! How many carbs would it have? I should work it out myself instead of being lazy (which is breaking my challenge!!)
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worked this out at 29.0g carbs, with 20.5g of fibre. So one serve is 8.5 net carbs. Makes it a little naughty for me at this stage, but I'll definately try it soon!

im bumping this recipe up so some newies can try it i just made one this mornign with chocolate and goji berries. i get three serves out of this. and i only used almond meal as thats all i had. still worked out beauitifully.
      now just try not to eat all at once. hehehe. no i have 1/3 sliced fresh nice and warm, with some icecream for breaky. and then ill prob have the other 1/3s as a snack through out the day .

You're right Sinders, these are excellent for brekkie. I made up a big batch a couple of days ago and have another 10 in the freezer now for brekkie/brunch on the run.

Just take out of the freezer, nuke in the microwave for a couple of seconds and add a dab of butter... delicious and really filling!

My version (for a big batch)

1/3 cup of flax seeds (ground to fine flour)
      1/3 cup of sunflower seeds (ground ~ makes a lovely fine flour)
      1/2 cup of almonds (ground fine)
      1 tbspn baking powder (makes them fluffier)
      2 tbspns all spice
      1 tbspn ground cinnamon
      1/2 tbspn ground ginger

4 eggs
      A good dash vanilla essence
      1/2 cup warm water
      2 tbspns coconut oil

2 tbspns dried berries soaked in enough hot water to cover (I used cranberries and blueberries)

Mix all dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs til frothy. Add vanilla essence and mix well with warm water.

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the egg mix and coconut oil. Mix it all together well (you may need to add a bit more water ~ it should be the consistency of a cake mix). Last add the berries and the water they've been soaked in.

Drop 2tbspns of mix into a tea cup and microwave on high for 1 1/2 mins each. The coconut oil stops it from sticking. Turn muffins out onto a cooling rack and when cold, wrap well in glad wrap and freeze.
      Makes about 10-12 muffins.