Pinned The Definition of a Weight Loss Stall or Plateau

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• The Definition of a Weight Loss Stall or Plateau

OK, so it's been a week and you haven't lost weight... have you hit a stall? NO, nada, nein, nicht, nej!

I regularly browse through my Atkins books, in my special home office and I came across the following information which we should ALL READ regularly:

The definition of a plateau: a genuine pause in weight loss that meets the following criteria....

* You have experienced no weight loss or loss of size for at least FOUR weeks. Increased muscle mass don't forget will skew the results you may get on the scales because muscle weighs more than fat, but you will continue to lose size.

* You have not started a new medication, changed your exercise routine, or made any other significant lifestyle change.

* You have examined your physical state and determined that you have not diet related disorders such as food intolerances, yeast reactions, diabetes, or thyroid problems - this can be a lengthy or quite involved process. We don't have alot of info on this forum about yeast infections for instance, but the protocol for getting rid of it is not an easy one whether you are low carbing or not.
      Check out Sherrie's diary to see what she did.

* You can take a close look at your eating habits and honestly say that you have stuck 100% to the same healthy, controlled carb eating plan that has afforded you the success you have achieved so far.
    • unfortunately rossana i cant say i have been keeping to the low carbs. i have been quiet naughty, just read my last thread in my diary. but i really want to get back into it and i am just finding i cant. i have been so good for 2 1/2 yrs now. not saying i have never broken it as i have but i have never gone this long and being almost constantly bad. i have something not on the menu probably every day and have been for the past 2 wks. it may even be a piece of toast or a spoonfull of rice or pasta. never anything too major or too much but just something. i feel i am craving something and i just cant get it. oh dear. never mind. any feed back would be appreciated
    • Some tips for breaking a plateau (from a book I have been reading):
      1. If having 3 meals a day, have 6 smaller meals instead
      2. Try a day or two of carbing up then straight back to 20g
      3. Have more fat and only your minimum serve of protein
      4. Body adapts to exercise so do something different
      5. Drop dairy (take calcium supplements to compensate)
      6. No aspartame or beverages with citric acid
      7. Stop having low-carb processed treats
      8. Lower your carbs even further to say 15g and up fats
      9. Up your carbs to 60 or 70g
      10. Try resistance training, more muscle mass, faster metabolism
      11. Check thyroid
      12. Cut caffeine
      13. For some have caffeine or tea as good thermogenic - stimulates fat burning
      14. Check medication is not the cause
      15. Drop alcohol
      16. Take GLA capsules - evening primrose oil or EPA flax seed oil - encourages fat burning

Change only one thing at a time and monitor yourself.
      Weight Loss Goal - to reach 55kg
      Currently doing 12 week body transformation - at 64kg (9kg to goal)
      (Started 27/8/12 at 77.8kg)
    • Re: The Definition of a Weight Loss Stall or Plateau

Singadiva you generally just eat the minimum protein amount that you work out using some popular low carb protein calculators. I am pretty sure there's a link to one on the low carb links page in the resources section. Otherwise if you remind me tomorrow I can have a look in my protein power book and get a calculation from there. Generally during the first four weeks of a low carb diet you need a little extra protein but after that the minimum is fine.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Sherrie wrote:

Singadiva you generally just eat the minimum protein amount that you work out using some popular low carb protein calculators. I am pretty sure there's a link to one on the low carb links page in the resources section. Otherwise if you remind me tomorrow I can have a look in my protein power book and get a calculation from there. Generally during the first four weeks of a low carb diet you need a little extra protein but after that the minimum is fine.

Cool:) but what I'm curious about is the fat content. It seems that most of the fat I'm eating is coming from things like meat, cheese and cream so if I didn't want to increase those things, what would I eat to increase fat? Would I just be adding more oil or butter to things?
      I saw some real raw cocoa butter in my local health food store yesterday and wondered what I could make with it, for example, that would be acceptable on Induction or even after?;)

Em

coconut oil is a good fat to add, I have never played with raw cocoa butter but you could try making low carb chocolate, that would probably be what I would do :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Just get plain unsweetened cocoa powder, home brand, abundant earth and green and blacks all have one :)

Sherrie I havnt got around to reading the Atkins book yet (its 37deg outside:mad:) so I think Ill wait till it cools down before I go to the bookstore.

I was wondering if (ref to singadivas comment) it is OK to have half an avacado or a boiled egg as 'part of the protein' allowance as they have the good fats in them (which is also allowed on the TF diet)
      should I be looking up a list of good fats on the forum?
      Stell.

Stella I do not have experience with Tony Ferguson but personally I would say yes, they are fine.

This is a good article for understanding the importance of fats and "good fats"

The Truth About Saturated Fats

You can also find other great low carb related articles here: Important Low Carb Articles, these are mostly ones concentrating on some of the anti fat and cholesterol myths.

Oh and PS: this is what the first 2 weeks of Atkins looks like, after those two weeks you can slowly add some foods back in according to your individual tolerances: Atkins Induction