Carbohydrate Restriction has a More Favorable Impact on the Metabolic Syndrome than..

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Carbohydrate Restriction has a More Favorable Impact on the Metabolic Syndrome than..

Carbohydrate Restriction has a More Favorable Impact on the Metabolic Syndrome than a Low Fat Diet

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] New York, NY, April 6, 2009: New Research by Jeff Volek, PhD, Associate Professor and Exercise and Nutrition Researcher (University of Connecticut) has revealed that the biological markers improved by carbohydrate restriction were precisely those that define the metabolic syndrome (MetS), and that the common thread was regulation of insulin as a control element. Research published in Lipids (2009) 44:297-309.

The findings provide support for unifying the disparate markers of MetS and for the proposed intimate connection with dietary carbohydrate. The results support the use of dietary carbohydrate restriction as an effective approach to improve features of MetS and cardiovascular risk.

Metabolic syndrome is a combination of medical disorders that increase the risk of developing cardiovascular disease and diabetes. According to the National Institutes of Health "about 47 million adults in the United States (almost 25 percent) have metabolic syndrome, and the numbers continue to grow. The increasing number of people with this condition is connected to the rise in obesity rates among adults."
      The five conditions listed below are metabolic risk factors for heart disease (they often occur together). Metabolic syndrome is diagnosed when a person has at least three of these heart disease risk factors:
      A large waistline; higher than normal triglyceride level in the blood; lower than normal level of HDL cholesterol (high-density lipoprotein cholesterol) in the blood; High blood pressure; High fasting blood sugar.
      The results presented here show that a diet restricted in carbohydrate can provide a more comprehensive improvement in the clinical risk factors associated with MetS than a Low Fat Diet at reduced caloric intake. There are many options for treating obesity or the individual components of MetS, but carbohydrate restriction has the ability to target the range of markers with a single intervention.

Dr. Richard Feinman, Biochemistry Professor at Downstate Medical Center in New York, states
      "We think that this work helps to solidify the science behind metabolic syndrome. Beyond that, we think it points the way to an effective treatment and hope that physicians will pick up on it."

[/FONT]

I found the study that the press release is referring too:

Carbohydrate Restriction has a More Favorable Impact on the Metabolic Syndrome than a Low Fat Diet
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Carbohydrate Restriction has a More Favorable Impact on the Metabolic Syndrome th

Actually I want to add the abstract here as the article doesn't mention their finidings regarding saturated fat and I think it is important considering so many here are still so scared of it. CRD stands for Carbohydrate Restricted Diet which is just another way of saying low carbohydrate diet:

Carbohydrate Restriction has a More Favorable Impact on the Metabolic Syndrome than a Low Fat Diet.

Volek JS, Phinney SD, Forsythe CE, Quann EE, Wood RJ, Puglisi MJ, Kraemer WJ, Bibus DM, Fernandez ML, Feinman RD.

Department of Kinesiology, University of Connecticut, 2095 Hillside Road, Unit 1110, Storrs, CT, 06269-1110, USA, jeff.volek@uconn.edu.

We recently proposed that the biological markers improved by carbohydrate restriction were precisely those that define the metabolic syndrome (MetS), and that the common thread was regulation of insulin as a control element. We specifically tested the idea with a 12-week study comparing two hypocaloric diets (~1,500 kcal): a carbohydrate-restricted diet (CRD) (%carbohydrate:fat:protein = 12:59:28) and a low-fat diet (LFD) (56:24:20) in 40 subjects with atherogenic dyslipidemia. Both interventions led to improvements in several metabolic markers, but subjects following the CRD had consistently reduced glucose (-12%) and insulin (-50%) concentrations, insulin sensitivity (-55%), weight loss (-10%), decreased adiposity (-14%), and more favorable triacylglycerol (TAG) (-51%), HDL-C (13%) and total cholesterol/HDL-C ratio (-14%) responses. In addition to these markers for MetS, the CRD subjects showed more favorable responses to alternative indicators of cardiovascular risk: postprandial lipemia (-47%), the Apo B/Apo A-1 ratio (-16%), and LDL particle distribution. Despite a threefold higher intake of dietary saturated fat during the CRD, saturated fatty acids in TAG and cholesteryl ester were significantly decreased, as was palmitoleic acid (16:1n-7), an endogenous marker of lipogenesis, compared to subjects consuming the LFD. Serum retinol binding protein 4 has been linked to insulin-resistant states, and only the CRD decreased this marker (-20%). The findings provide support for unifying the disparate markers of MetS and for the proposed intimate connection with dietary carbohydrate. The results support the use of dietary carbohydrate restriction as an effective approach to improve features of MetS and cardiovascular risk.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Re: Carbohydrate Restriction has a More Favorable Impact on the Metabolic Syndrome th

Very interesting! My take on this diet was that as a species, sugar is really only a new thing, and our weight gain is also a new thing. It just makes sense to me that we as a race, are becoming fatter simply due to our increase in ability to refine things and isolate compounds etc.

Previously we just ate what was grown or killed. Now we specifically muck around with stuff which changes our intake.

Maybe too simplistic a view, but that is how I see it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by knight76 ().

Yes your right except when it comes to wholegrain grains and beans as these aren't necessarily healthier as we don't digest them well and they also interfere with nutrient absorption. Even nuts can be a little bit of a problem there (more so with the skins I think) as well as fibrous low carb veggies.

Yes, the sugar industry is relatively modern. It was engineered to be a mega-industry and a political machine, just as the low-fat tyranny is today.

And the early low-carb, high-fat pioneers, such as Dr. MacKarness, made it a point that eating grains came about only after the introduction of agriculture.