Eat butter liberally?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Eat butter liberally?

But Skippy I am not even arguing the comparison between a low fat and low carb diet, what I was pointing out was that the low carbers experienced improvements despite their saturated fat intake, there's plenty more out there that say the same thing.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Sherrie wrote:

But Skippy I am not even arguing the comparison between a low fat and low carb diet, what I was pointing out was that the low carbers experienced improvements despite their saturated fat intake, there's plenty more out there that say the same thing.

Sherrie, and if you look there's even more to disprove that theory. There's also plenty of research which is loaded or twisted to make a point, correct? If you look into impartial studies and research by respectful institutions spending investing on life long studies WHO, Heart Foundation etc. you will see there's much more evidence to support the theory that too much satfat is bad for you.

hi skippy, have u actually read atkins guidelines. u will see that veges - particularly the low carb ones r also on most dieticians lists of "super foods". i.e. spinach, all leafy greens, broccoli, cabbage. these veges plus many others feature largely in an atkins diet. it is very possible if u r following atkins correctly to actually end up eating more veges than u ever did before. one of the simplest atkins type meals is protein with a large leafy salad, with capsicum, cucumber, tomatoes, sprouts, mushies etc. or a vegie stir fry with chicken or beef etc. it is certainly not a burger, bacon, and egg fest although these can be eaten (just not exclusively as u seem to think). please go and read atkins thoroughly as i don't think u r quite clear on it.

Donkey,

I'm well aware of the Atkins guidelines. I'm just making a point. You tend to pick up on one aspect to base your argument on. The fact remains that so many healthy fruits and veges are not allowed on Atkins - ever. I don't think it's a realistic lifetime commitment. I don't know anyone who has stayed on Atkins after losing weight. They end up putting on more than they started. The fact is most people cannot stick to Atkins long term.

if u go back and read your post that prompted my reply u will see that u have made many "points" about atkins that are in fact not true. i wasn't just focussing on a particular aspect of atkins. i was pointing out to you the errors in your statement and they are many. we should stick to facts, not skew our statements "to make a point". my reply to you is simply the facts of what atkins book is about. your last statement of what atkins is about is totally wrong, not just skewed. i tend to read all the information, compare and then decide what to do for myself. i have read up on all the different "diets" and also many books on fats etc plus the WHO and Heart Foundation recommendations and i adopt little bits from all of them IF they sound feasible to me. so let's stick to facts in our discussions without exaggerations or stretching things to "make a point".

Skippy wrote:

Sherrie, and if you look there's even more to disprove that theory. There's also plenty of research which is loaded or twisted to make a point, correct?

Yes you betcha but it goes both ways :)

If you look into impartial studies and research by respectful institutions spending investing on life long studies WHO, Heart Foundation etc. you will see there's much more evidence to support the theory that too much satfat is bad for you.

Yes the same respectful institutions, whom recommended high carbohydrate low fat diets and condemned low carb diets, even to diabetics!!! But you will find that is all starting to change, low carb is becoming much more accepted and they are finally starting to realise that their fears do not seem to be panning out but its an uphill battle because it doesn't support drug companies and the like!

It's funny how low carb has had to have all this research done and ongoing to be accepted yet low fat diets never needed research to prove their safety.

You seem to like polyunsaturated fats but there is quite a negative side to them as well, yet you never hear much about that.

Heck I remember there was a study a few years ago though this was in the context of a low fat diet, they actually found saturated fat intake was protective in the low fat group with higher saturated fat in take.

I think there's still a lot more to learn, take cholesterol, first it was total cholesterol and then we learn theres different types one good (HDL) and one bad (LDL), now we learn that there's different types of LDL, small and large particles with the small ones being the trouble makers. Then in women, we learn that lowering cholesterol with statins hasn't been proven to do squat (I should add it does squat in most men too!) as the choleterol level is just a symptom of their hormone/thyroid status. Take thyroid for instance, low thyroid is a common cause of high cholesterol, yeah the cardioascular risk is increased but because of the low thyroid!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.