Xylitol and spenda

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Xylitol and spenda

hi, don't know all the technical stuff except there are some websites like Dr. Mercola etc. who don't touch splenda. xylitol has none of the aftertaste of splenda. i can't drink diet coke or pepsi max etc. because of the aftertaste (not sure, though what they have in them - aspartame i suspect) so i was pleased to find something i could eat. haven't read anything negative on it science wise. it is derived from the bark of birch trees or corn cobs. hope u find something that suits you.

Stevia makes me feel sick so I don't use it. I started using splenda again, I would be willing to try replacing with erythritol as I think I tolerate it okay but over here it is way too expensive (so far) and hard to find. And yes, I have read all the pros and cons and even went off splenda for 4 years, only started using it again sometime last year. I felt I was feeling worse off it then on it so I certainly don't blame it for any of my issues. After my thinking on it, I can't say I am convinced that any issues with splenda are anything more then a tolerance issue that you would experience with any "healthy" and "natural" food that you don't tolerate (but I could be wrong!) and I suspect that the issues some people have simply boils down to the fact that chlorine is a fructan which is another form of fructose which is also found in healthy foods like green beans and artichokes. Regarding fructans this is an issue if you suffer from fructose malabsorbtion which is extremely common and usually appears when you consume more fructose then you do glucose.

So in a nutshell, the jury is out with me :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Stevia makes me feel sick so I don't use it. I started using splenda again, I would be willing to try replacing with erythritol as I think I tolerate it okay but over here it is way too expensive (so far) and hard to find. And yes, I have read all the pros and cons and even went off splenda for 4 years, only started using it again sometime last year. I felt I was feeling worse off it then on it so I certainly don't blame it for any of my issues. After my thinking on it, I can't say I am convinced that any issues with splenda are anything more then a tolerance issue that you would experience with any "healthy" and "natural" food that you don't tolerate (but I could be wrong!) and I suspect that the issues some people have simply boils down to the fact that chlorine is a fructan which is another form of fructose which is also found in healthy foods like green beans and artichokes. Regarding fructans this is an issue if you suffer from fructose malabsorbtion which is extremely common and usually appears when you consume more fructose then you do glucose.

So in a nutshell, the jury is out with me :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

hi, my understanding is that chlorine is an element - can exist as a poisonous gas and is an oxidant that lots of people avoid like the plague. i've never heard of it referred to as a fructan? correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the chlorine bit that they do to sugar to make it into splenda is what sets peoples alarm bells ringing.

donkeybrook wrote:

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the chlorine bit that they do to sugar to make it into splenda is what sets peoples alarm bells ringing.

Whenever you're faced with an unnatural substance, there can be many reasons why it's bad, some of which we may not even know. (By the way, even though Splenda is advertised as natural because it originates from regular sugar, it's really not. It goes through a lot of processing).

Yes, the involvement of chlorine is one of the big, if not the biggest factor. It's not so much the chlorine, but the byproducts that chlorine can cause. As I mentioned in my article, there was a study done by Duke University late in '08 that showed splenda to kill beneficial gut flora. That may not sound like a big deal, but it is, especially in today's society with people eating so poorly and already having gut problems. Your gut is the center of your health!

Here's a question for you guys. Why use sweetners at all? Seriously!

I NEVER use them and I have no need to. I also used to be a carb junkie and had to go through pretty severe cravings.

My diet is now 100% meats, vegetables, nuts and oils. Once in a while, when I feel like having something sweet, I'll have it.

I think artificial sweeteners are far worse than regular sugar, especially if you're only having sugar in moderation. It's an other example of why it's so important to consider your health before considering weight loss.

Here's more of my thoughts on moderation.

Vin

I have gradually been giving up sugar and sweeteners over the past 3 months. I figured replacing sugar with sweeteners was sort of defeating the purpose of learning a different way to eat. I am now down to maybe a teaspoon a week. I found this ebook about sugar addiction which I downloaded for my partner to try and help him. He has been diagnosed as diabetic and while he was careful with his diet at first, he has slipped back into bad habits. It is a free download - just click on the ordering options button. I haven't read it all yet - firstourselves.com/first_ourse…how-to-give-up-sugar.html

Taggie wrote:

He has been diagnosed as diabetic and while he was careful with his diet at first, he has slipped back into bad habits.

That is very sad to hear. :( I always have a hard time understanding why people lack the will power needed to overcome unhealthy eating when they know what it's doing to them.

My wife's uncle has diabietes. He's blind now because he wasn't careful enough with his diet.

I know sugar can be tough to cut out. In fact, many people consider it to be as addictive as some of the worst drugs.

Here are two things that come to mind that might be making it difficult for him:

1. Swings in blood sugar have a significant affect on neurotransmitter production and mood. If the brain is not capable of producing neurotransmitters in its normal fashion, perhaps due to inadequate nutrition, it can make sugar cravings worse because your body is looking for an alterantive way to make the neurotransmitters.

For more information on this, check out "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross.

2. I don't mean this to be offensive in any way, but perhaps he doesn't perceive enough meaning in his life to have the motivation and incentive to be healthy.

I hope that helps some!
      Vin Miller
      Natural Bias
      Maximizing life through health, fitness and perspective

My choice is xylitol. I won't use any artificial sweeteners because they just don't do it for me! I don't like the aftertaste and they really don't taste 'sweet' to me. But I am also concerned about the issues with them as chemicals. I find even though stevia is 'natural' it tastes the same as the artificial ones. I was using Splenda for a little while but found out about it being cut with chlorine and promptly tossed half a box in the rubbish. But I also find it has that aftertaste. It's very odd how some people can't tell the difference!

The only data I can find regarding the figures for xylitol is that it's 40% of the calories of sugar and that the GI is 7. One website says that it doesn't count towards your net carbs.

I also found this statement:

"Xylitol is a sugar alcohol, a type of carbohydrate; however, sugar alcohols are not fully broken down in digestion, and so some of it might not be absorbed."

this document has some interesting info too:

Xylitol Background

one thing in this document I noticed is the following

"2.8 Xylitol has antiketogenic properties, i.e., it prevents or inhibits the formation of ketone bodies (serum free fatty acid levels)."

not sure if this is good or bad if you trying to loose weight. Any thoughts on this??

regardless I think that moderation with anything is important.

I primarily like my decaf coffee sweetened. But I would like to use xylitol in my sweets in the future. But I don't want to get to carried away either.

I really would like to have coke with xylitol thanks! hmmm.... maybe I should try to experiment! NO If I had my druthers it would have to be Dr. Pepper with xylitol. But that reminds me that Diet Dr. Pepper is the only diet soda that doesn't have that aftertaste! But can't get either here in Australia so I am safe! But this does give me the idea of making my own rootbeer/sars with xylitol...hmmm... will report on that later if I suceed!

yes it's interesting how your sweet tooth changes. i have xylitol on my porridge, but a friend of mine says if u put salt in it when cooking and butter on it after that it tastes great like that. i might try it tomorrow. a bit of sea salt and butter sounds ok except it seems odd because i've always associated porridge with sweet not savoury tastes. but i do agree with Vin that we should try and wean ourselves off that need for sweet. a bit of low carb dark chocolate with a nice coffee is still a treat for me:D

Interesting, I wonder why it is anti-ketogenic, it could be a bad thing if it prevents your body from making ketone bodies which on a low carb diet is what your body relies on for energy. But I assume you would need a lot?

Re chlorine do you have your hot water filtered ? because if you're concerned about chlorine this is your biggest threat as chlorine is much more easily absorbed through the lungs which is present in the steam/vapour when you run your hot water making showers and baths a good way to absorb chlorine.

I've been meaning to get a filter for our shower but am afraid it will take away more of my non-existent pressure. We have issues with our hot water being from a gravity feed water heater. It takes forever just to adjust the hot and cold to get the right temp and then our pressure is extremely limited on top of that, so a filter may make it worse. We are renting otherwise the first thing I'd change is the water heater.

Yeah we are renting too, I'd love all our water filtered. ATM our biggest problem is winter when we don't get much hotwater BRRRRR

Sherrie wrote:

Re chlorine do you have your hot water filtered ? because if you're concerned about chlorine this is your biggest threat as chlorine is much more easily absorbed through the lungs which is present in the steam/vapour when you run your hot water making showers and baths a good way to absorb chlorine.

Great point and also a good reason to use a filter on your shower head!
      Vin Miller
      Natural Bias
      Maximizing life through health, fitness and perspective