Low Carb Lemon and Almond Tarts

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Lemon and Almond Tarts

These low carb, lemon almond tarts are really yummy, I made these using a recipe from the May, Australian Good Food magazine and converted it to low carb. :)

Low Carb Lemon and Almond Tarts

Ingredients:

2 x low carb pastry
      1/2 cup of home-made low carb lemon curd

Frangipane filling:
      100g (3.5oz) butter
      finely grated rind of 2 lemons
      1/4 cup of xylitol
      6 splenda tablets (6 teaspoons granular)
      1 cup (100g / 3.5oz) of almond meal
      2 eggs

1/3 cup (30g / 1 oz) flaked almonds
      creme or cream fraiche to serve

Method:

Preheat Oven to 200C/392F

Press pastry into 6 x 10cm loose bottom tartlet pans (8cm base) and chill in fridge until needed.

Cream butter, sugar and lemon rind until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time with a spoonful of almond meal. Stir in remaining meal.

Spread lemon curd over pastry bases then spoon over the frangipane and sprinly with flaked almonds. Bake for 20-25mins until golden then chill for 5 mins before removing from pans and serving whilst warm with cream or cream fraiche.

Notes: I was too chicken to put everything straight onto the bases and decided to blind bake them first, the pastry did brown a bit too quickly because of this so up to you.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Sherrie: US conversions :) ().

• Re: Low Carb Lemon and Almond Tarts

Thanks Sherrie, looks delish!

I found a (somewhat similar) recipe on taste.com and wonder if it could be turned into a low-carb dessert??...I admire your wizardry in the kitchen in turning normally off-limits desserts into low-carb wonders for us all. Plus how low-carb is polenta, do you know? I'll copy/paste the recipe here and see what you think.

Texy ;)

Lemon & almond cake with pine nuts

[removed cut and paste to respect copyright]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: copyright ().

polenta is basically ground up corn so too carby: polenta

What you need to do is replace it with something else be it more almond or another low carb flour/meal.

Then all you need really is to replace the sugar.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

ok, these tarts are in the oven as I type.. I have some questions though..
      1. how much lemon curd to put in each tart?.. do we just use it all or a tspn or what?..
      2. was i supposed to completley cover the curd with the almond mix?.. it was a bit hard to spread so left it as blobs..
      3. I agree hard to roll out, maybe between 2 sheets of silicon paper.. and I get why you doubled the recipe.. doesnt make a huge amount
      how many did you get out of a batch?

Gwenni I can't remember now but I would assume you spread the 1/2 a cup across all 6 bases. By reading the recipe I assume I made 6.

It won't matter, it's all about looks, I have watched one of Jamie Oliver's episodes recently where he made some type of frangipane tarts and added the frangipane (almond mixture) and jam in random blobs.

gwenni wrote:

ok, these tarts are in the oven as I type.. I have some questions though..
      1. how much lemon curd to put in each tart?.. do we just use it all or a tspn or what?..
      2. was i supposed to completley cover the curd with the almond mix?.. it was a bit hard to spread so left it as blobs..
      3. I agree hard to roll out, maybe between 2 sheets of silicon paper.. and I get why you doubled the recipe.. doesnt make a huge amount
      how many did you get out of a batch?

Hey Gwenni I am just sorting out my hard drives and came across a pic that would answer your questions :)

• Sherrie you are a little magician. I have just made the Low Carb Lemon and Almond Tart. I did not have small tartlet pans so made one big one. I was a bit short on the pastry (only made a single batch), but it turned out absolutely fantastic. I am so chaffed. I immediately gobbled down two small slices!. There are about 16 slices for the whole tart. Do you have nutritional values on the recipe?
    • These are awesome I have to make some again soon especially the curd considering I have an abundance of lemons and eggs in my back yard :)

It doesn't look like i worked it out sorry but it shouldn't be hard except the curd as I'll need to make it again to get an idea of the total volume and estimate from there, won't be perfect though.

I think I have xylitol in the cuboard some where, if I do I might make some during the week and update the recipe but it will be just xylitol no Splenda as I don't use it anymore.

• I made this pastry used in this recipe today for another recipe (I will post if it works). Anyway I wanted to comment here that it might pay to make 3 times the pastry instead of 2 times just so you have extra for back up. Mine feels a bit too thin so I am just crossing my fingers its ok!