Law to stop midwives working outside hospitals

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Law to stop midwives working outside hospitals

This is disgusting!

Law to stop midwives working outside hospitals

By Kate Sikora June 19, 2009 12:00am

HOMEBIRTHS will become illegal under tough new laws that prevent women using midwives to have children outside hospitals.
      The move is set to drive homebirths underground, with expectant mothers and their babies at risk.

There are fears women determined to have a homebirth will "go it alone" like birthing advocate Janet Fraser, whose baby died during a natural water birth in April.

Under the draft Health Practitioner Regulation National Law, released last week, a midwife cannot be registered unless she has insurance.
      But with insurance companies and the Government so far refusing to include homebirths in the indemnity scheme, midwives will face being de-registered if they attend a homebirth.

Women's groups accuse the Rudd Government of stripping women of rights by forcing them into hospitals.

Australian College of Midwives boss Dr Barbara Vernon said the Government's intention was obvious.
      "I had been optimistic until now when you can see it in black and white," she said. "Even though only less than half a per cent of women have homebirths, they should have the same rights as a woman who chooses to have a caesarean. Homebirths won't stop."

About 150 midwives do homebirths in Australia. Called independent or private midwives, most do not work in a hospital and are uninsured.
      But from July 2010, they will no longer be able to call themselves midwives even though they are trained. Only those insured and registered can use the term midwife, otherwise they face a $30,000 fine.

There are about 700 homebirths a year but some say this may be as high as 2100 as they are under-reported.
      For TV presenter and marriage celebrant Elizabeth Trevan, giving birth to her 18-month old twins Nash and Harvey at home was an "overwhelming experience."
      "It breaks my heart to hear that the Government will do this," she said. "This is about choice.
      "The Government should be driving this and helping midwives who want to (do) homebirths. They will never be able to afford insurance."
      Home Births Australia secretary Justine Caines said the new law took away the rights of women.
      "It technically makes homebirthing illegal," she said.

The Royal Australasian College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists is against homebirths.

news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sto…,25657779-5001021,00.html
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Law to stop midwives working outside hospitals

There's a poll here if anyone wants to vote: news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,,25657523-2682,00.html
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Tell me about it. Not happy at all. It's likely that our next child will be born after July 2010 so this is definitely going to affect us. I still want the same midwife I've had for the last two pregnancies and she'll still come, but a lot of women aren't going to feel comfortable with that. Since when is it the government's business where I decide to give birth? :mad:

It's crazy, especially considering one your paying for it and two it takes pressure off the hospital system. I have had both my children in the lyell mac and both times despite a decade between the two the staff have been overworked and stressed and made it absolutely horrible for the patients. The first time I had a trouble free vaginal birth yet I had to wait 3 days just for them to tick me off the set criteria they have so you can go home and then to wait for a pediatrician to finely give me the OK. I barely ever saw a nurse or midwife in that time, they never showed me how to do anything I had to figure it on my own then eventually buzz them to tick it off so I could go home it was just a big waste of my time and taxpayers money. The second time was even worse and I was having problems with Maya feeding and they were of absolutely no help and treated me really badly. Again I had to figure it out myself AFTER I got home with my dehydrated baby in order to get her to actually feed!
      I was meant to be on antibiotics and they weren't giving it to me! I had hemmoraghed nearly 2 litres of blood and again they weren't giving me iron supplements and ended up having some blood transfusions, ruh roh I am starting to rant but you get the drill ;)

Hey Mel, all might not be lost for you, this was down the bottom of the 2nd link I posted with the poll:

n SA, more women are choosing to give birth at home, and that number was expected to rise after the State Government released a new homebirth policy earlier this year.

The policy supports planned births in the home through the Women's and Children's Hospital.

The latest statistics show the number of women choosing to give birth at home doubled from 44 – 0.2 per cent of births in 1997 – to 107 – 0.5 per cent of births in 2007.

SA Health Department chief executive Tony Sherbon said SA Health's home-birth service would not be affected. "Our midwives who provide that service are insured by the Government," he said.

"That satisfies the national requirement in regard to them being insured."

Hi, I know this is an old thread - but I just wanted to say 'yay!!' that you cared!! It's a topic close to my heart!

My first 3 children were born at home - I had two wonderful midwives - and my fourth in hospital (I moved to a country town - i didn't really have a choice) - i know some maternity hospitals and staff may be great - but this one was the pits! It was dirty, the staff rude (bitching about other patients in the hall!!) and they were horrible to me (months later somebody told my partner , as he's a nurse, that the OB registrar on duty had boasted how she'd 'got the homebirth mum'!) - they gave me a hospital acquired infection of the uterus - agonising and it took months to fix and recover. oh and they performed a totally unneccesary episiotomy!!

Such a contrast to the care, support and cleanliness of my homebirth midwives who were soo professional that I was able to birth big babies (all 3 around the 10lb mark) intact perineum with no problems at all!

Sorry to rave.....just my 2 cents on the subject!

I wasnt aware of this but i think its disgusting.... my son was born in a birthing centre in england i was released 2 hours after his birth but still hated being in a Hospital environment my daughter was a planned homebirth but the little moo was 2 weeks late and the hospitals convinced (scared me) into an induction...Luckily my community midwife still oversaw my 3 1/2 hour labour and birth and i was promptly released from hospital 4 hours after giving birth (i agreed this with the hospital prior or i would not go ahead with the induction...) I have checked that community midwives wa and they have gone into partnership with WA health therefore being covered by their insurance and still performing low risk home births...Thats a win for WA mothers i say.... I know that all the midwives i met with CMWA were fantastic... so if in Wa and want a homebirth look them up and even better its still publicly funded meaning you dont pay for the midwife yourself although you pay a minimal membership fee.
      The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph!

Its funny that this was bumped up as I signed a petition on this very topic through facebook today!

Here it is: We will not comply