Schizophrenia, gluten, and low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diets: a case report & review

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Schizophrenia, gluten, and low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diets: a case report & review

Schizophrenia, gluten, and low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diets: a case report and review of the literature

Abstract

We report the unexpected resolution of longstanding schizophrenic symptoms after starting a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet. After a review of the literature, possible reasons for this include the metabolic consequences from the elimination of gluten from the diet, and the modulation of the disease of schizophrenia at the cellular level.

Full Text: Bryan D Kraft and Eric C Westman, Schizophrenia, gluten, and low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diets: a case report and review of the literature. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2009; 6 : 10.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Schizophrenia, gluten, and low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diets: a case report & rev

Who knows, thyroid alters brain chemistry and apparently problems like celiac is quite common with thyroid problems. I have been reading lately that the body requires your body to be at a tightly regulated temperature of around 37 degrees for proper enzymatic function which to me would make sense as to why there is such a broad range of symptoms with hypothyroidism.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Schizophrenia, gluten, and low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diets: a case report & rev

That is absolutely staggering! I know how much gluten intolerance can affect you, but to 'cure' schizophrenia with a low carb diet. It seems like fantasy land, but what a discovery.

And the part about societies where grains are not eaten having a much lower incidence of reporting the disease.

It links back to the small snippet in the article I posted about today, from the weekend Australian, about studying ancient diseases via DNA in teeth, where the author said:

"Cooper and his team intend to investigate numerous samples that are about 9000 years old. That's roughly when agriculture began and the human diet changed from a mixed hunting and gathering diet to a more modern carbohydrate-based one.
      As Cooper points out, the dramatic shift coincides with the emergence of important medical conditions, including diabetes, heart disease and hypertension."

I certainly hope THIS pointer to how good low carb can be for people is followed up and not pooh-poohed.
      Odille -
      following Primal Lifestyle

Low fat is so last century!