Question for Jesper

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Question for Jesper

Hey Jesper, how are you?

In another thread you said
      "Another question is why you are on the ketogenic diet? If it is to lose fat, stick to low intensity cardio. But if you like the lifestyle and don't care about the fat, there is perhaps a compromise . You can try MCT Oil (Medium Chain Triglycerids).
      MCT actually provides energy quicker than even glucose. You should be able to do high intensity excercises if you consume MCT 30 minutes before exercising without losing muscle. At least theoretically, I have never tried myself! Calculate how many calories you burn in a session and make sure these calories are covered by calories in the MCT oil."

At the moment I am on a reduced carb diet. I am trying to stick to around 20-30g carbs per day and so far it seems to be going well. I also do high intensity excersize such as kickboxing 3-4 times per week and try to get to the gym 3-4 mornings per week doing spinning or aerobics.

I don't want to burn any muscle, only fat but cannot bring myself to give up these high intensity workouts because I seem to be going well so far and I really enjoy it.

If I was to add some of this MCT before my workouts would it help ensure I am not losing muscle?

THanks
      :D
    • Hi Rosanna, well this question has been bugging me for a while now and when I saw Jesper mention the MCT I got very excited! See, I think for me trying to get into ketosis is probably a little unrealistic at this time and if I'm losing weight and building muscle just by drastically cutting down on carbs then I'm pretty happy with that as well.

There is certainly a LOT of information on this site, it's gonna take me forever to get through it all :cool:

I received my muffin mix and Cereal mix yesterday! I only ordered them on Wednesday, how's that for service. My next order will be some protein bars..... Yummmmmmmmyyyyyyy
    • Cindy, I honestly think you need to sort out your priorities ;). Either focus of fatloss or get enjoyment out of high intensity cardio work.

Theoretically, MCT should help. Having done some more research about it, I don't think it will eliminate muscle loss. If you are persistent I suppose you could try.

The bottom line is that the keto diet and high intensity exercising do not belong together.
    • Originally posted by Jesper
      Cindy, I honestly think you need to sort out your priorities ;). Either focus of fatloss or get enjoyment out of high intensity cardio work.

Theoretically, MCT should help. Having done some more research about it, I don't think it will eliminate muscle loss. If you are persistent I suppose you could try.

The bottom line is that the keto diet and high intensity exercising do not belong together.

Hi Jesper, thanks for your reply.

Honestly, I am not trying to get into ketosis at all. Rather, I have adapted a low carb lifestyle now. I don't need to focus on fatloss anymore as I lost that pretty much within 3 weeks of doing the strict 20g or less carbs a day thing.

I am not limiting my carb intake to as little as 20 grams a day anymore and my reasoning for that is because I do enjoy my excersice (esp. Kickboxing). I suppose I would be intaking around 30-40g carbs a day at the moment.

Basically, I have more or less stopped eating bread. This hasn't been too hard as I don't seem to tolerate it and other products containing flour too well these days. I have also stopped eating pasta and other starches such as potatoes. I eat mainly lean meats, chicken, green vegies (plus tomatoes) and most other foods that are considered low carb as well as some fruits and yogurt. Again, this is just my preferred way of eating now.
      I think I will give the MCT a try. So far, I don't think I am burning muscle with my workouts but I do see if I was on a very small amount of carbs daily how this would happen and I will avoid that at all costs...

I guess it will take some trial and error getting the correct balance of carbs and MCT to ensure these workouts burn fat, not muscle, but I have to at least try :)
    • Another option perhaps people should be aware of is a cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD). Essentially it's a keto diet with periods of carb loading. Not for people that want to lose maximum weight, but I'm considering it because I want to gain weight (and pump iron). So why do I want to keto if I want to gain weight? Because I'm intrigued by the idea of bulking without creating insulin resistance and blood sugar spikes etc.

Here's some info re: CKD's:

bodybuilding.com/fun/keto2.htm