Low Carb Cereal/Granola/Porridge

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Cereal/Granola/Porridge

Thought I'd put some cereal recipes here for easy access if okay.

Flax Seed And Nut Granola (Low-Carb)

(6 servings) Printable Version

• 1 cup flax seeds
      • 1 cup sunflower seeds
      • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
      • 1 cup chopped pecans
      • 1 cup chopped walnuts
      • 1 cup chopped almonds
      • 1 stick of butter -- melted
      • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
      • 2 teaspoons vanilla powder (sugar and alcohol-free)
      • 3 packets of Splenda (or other sugar alternative)
      In a large roasting pan, mix together flax seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut and nuts. Drizzle with melted butter. Stir in cinnamon, vanilla power and sugar substitute. Toast in the oven at 325 degrees for a half hour, stirring every 5 or 10 minutes.

mrbreakfast.com/superdisplay.asp?recipeid=1180

Hot Cinnamon Cereal

Ingredients:
      3 Tablespoons Flax Meal
      3 Tablespoons Vanilla Protein Powder
      2/3 cup Water
      dash Salt
      1 Tablespoon Butter
      1 teaspoon Cinnamon
      Artificial Sweetener (I use Stevia) to taste
      1/4 cup Heavy Cream -- well chilled

Mix first 4 ingredients until smooth. Microwave approximately 2 minutes. Top with butter, Sweetener, cinnamon and cream.

Makes 1 serving. 2 carbs per serving if using liquid sweetener. Adjust as necessary if you use a different sweetener (Splenda packets have carbs)

FibreX Substitute
      Originally posted by sambalam
      i promised somewhere that i'd come up with some sort of sub for the empower brand fibreX as some people like it but find it too $$$$.

1 1/4 cups whey protein isolate
      1 1/4 cups almond meal
      3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp linseed meal
      1/4 cup plus 2 tsp ground sunflower seeds
      1/4 cup psyllium husk

combine ingredients and store in a container in the fridge. you make it the same way as fibreX.

edited: i meant to give credit to someone from another forum for the cup measurements, as i had it at home in grams and forgot to bring it in, so i thought this would do for the time being. thanks zedgirl if you're ever around here!

My low carb "porridge" is:-

1 tablespoon each of psyllium husks, LSA mix and wheat protein isolate, 1 sachet of splenda, mix well together before adding approx 3/4 cup of boiling water and mix quickly so lumps don't form then add a tablespoon or so of cream. Yum!

I mix up equal quantities of the first 3 ingredients and keep in a container in the fridge then just measure out 3 tablespoons each morning and make it up. Very filling. I've also used vanilla flavoured protein powder for the wpi before and that works fine and I could even get away without the cream then.

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?t=4156
      Weight Loss Goal - to reach 55kg
      Currently doing 12 week body transformation - at 64kg (9kg to goal)
      (Started 27/8/12 at 77.8kg)
    • Re: Low Carb Cereal/Granola/Porridge

Snez wrote:

FibreX Substitute
      Originally posted by sambalam
      i promised somewhere that i'd come up with some sort of sub for the empower brand fibreX as some people like it but find it too $$$$.

1 1/4 cups whey protein isolate
      1 1/4 cups almond meal
      3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp linseed meal
      1/4 cup plus 2 tsp ground sunflower seeds
      1/4 cup psyllium husk

combine ingredients and store in a container in the fridge. you make it the same way as fibreX.

edited: i meant to give credit to someone from another forum for the cup measurements, as i had it at home in grams and forgot to bring it in, so i thought this would do for the time being. thanks zedgirl if you're ever around here!

No problem Snez, I pop in every now and then.
      I use less WPI in the FX mix now (about a cup) and I also add sesame seed meal and have lightened up on the amount of linseed meal I use.

When eating cereals like these on LC, what do you have 'with' them - ie not milk I presume? So water and a bit of cream? Or any other suggestions?
      Start Weight 109.1 @ 18/10/10 ~~~ Current Weight 105.6 @ 25/11/10
      To lose 9.2kg and to be under 100kg! --> 3.5kg gone, 5.7kg left!

How cool is that! You've just opened up a whole new path for me to investigate, thankyou!!

I have WPI and psyllium in the pantry so will have to get experimenting once I track down some linseed, sunflower and almond meal.

Awesomeness - thanks!
      Start Weight 109.1 @ 18/10/10 ~~~ Current Weight 105.6 @ 25/11/10
      To lose 9.2kg and to be under 100kg! --> 3.5kg gone, 5.7kg left!