Which Protein powder???

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Which Protein powder???

Whey protein concentrate (WPC) is fine otherwise whey protein isolate (WPI) which has a little less lactose and thus less carbs. Most have a mixture of both. Just whatever you do avoid any "female" protein powders. Go straight for a body building one and make sure you buy a low carb one as they do have ones for gaining weight, also don't forget to check the sweeteners that are used.

I can't recommend a brand per se as it has been years since I last used them. My favourite one when I was, was the Goliath choc-mint flavour, this was an isolate and tasted very good even mixed with just water.

My first ever powder was a big bucket of unflavoured WPC. I used to flavour my shakes myself, I often used sweetener plus chocolate or vanilla and a couple of chopped fresh strawberries. The benefit from unflavoured is that you can vary the flavours as well as use it in cooking be it sweet or savoury.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Thanks Sherrie,

I ended up buying a Musashi chocolate blend, looks good, I think it was 0.2g carbs per serve..forgot to check sweeteners, but will look into it when it arrives....

Looking forward to making some homemade protein bars for quick meals on the run....

Thanks
      Yvette

Sorry I missed this but there's some protein bar recipes in the recipe section, I know Sinders makes one that was adapted from one of the recipes here and likes them so perhaps look out for her recipe.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Hi Sherrie

I noticed you said not to get a "female" protein powder and was wondering the reason why. I had no idea what to choose so I ended upy buying Define Womens High Protein, which has 1.1g of carbs/serve and 19.5g of protein/serve. It's been ok, and tho the label says it can be used as a meal replacer, it's really not filling enough so I use it as a snack between meals.

Wish I'd read this thread b4 buying it!

Cheers

I too is interested in what wrong with the womens one. I too have never bought them but have been considering it.

Also on the shakers i never suceeded with getting htem nice. I make mine now with a funnel into a 600ml plastic water bottle and shake it in there i find a better mix. I always add a dash of milk too just make it taste more palletable.
      Speaking of protein which one have you found taste nice because there is lots of ugh one out there so what do you buy and like?
      thanks
      Toni

The shakers are good as they're portable and easy for those that don't have a blender or stick blender. I loved mine, the one I had, had a plastic mesh that sits near the top which mixes it really well, it was an EAS one if that is any use.

The reason I would stay clear of the female ones is that they are gimmicky, over priced and usually contain soy powder. Just grab a normal low carb protein powder that uses either whey protein concentrate and/or whey protein isolate that's aimed for bodybuilders :) Sometimes you can buy samples so you can try them first.

Hi All,

If you want a protein powder that is good for you but tastes like a chocolate milkshake try Max's Hydroxy Phase (HP). There is a big muscle man and a blonde girl cartoon on the front of it. You can usually buy it off ebay in 3kg buckets cheaper than buying it per kilo in the health food shops. It is a little expensive, but its a nice treat, especially for breakfast. Blend 2 eggs, 1/2cup skim milk, ice, some strawberries/bananas and 2 sccops of the whey and YUM!!!

Otherwise for a cheaper alternative there is a site. bulknutrients.com.au and you can buy unflavoured or flavoured WPC at a pretty cheap and price and it tastes pretty good. I usually get the unflavoured and add some cinnamon and vanilla essence and create my own flavour. Also a plus is they charge a $12 flat delivery rate.

Good luck!! I've tried quite a few and those 2 are the best by far!