Lilly's Jerky

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Lilly's Jerky

:p The jerky is very good when it isnt burnt to kingdom come! BF is always gobbling it up before I get a chance, and I'm often tempted to pull pieces of the baking sheet and eat them piping hot.

It's easy as to make, and you can use beef or venison. Cheap cuts of meat work a treat, and its great for those tougher cuts. I use venison.

Ingredients:

For the marinade:

- 1 TBSP worsctershire sauce
      - 1 TBSP Soy sauce
      - Generous pinch mixed herbs (Depending on taste, I use one with rosemary tarragon oregano)
      - Pinch of black pepper
      - Pinch salt
      - 1/2 TSP garlic powder
      - 1 TBSP lemon juice
      - 1 TSP organic apple cider vinegar (may be omitted)
      - 1/2 TSP minced garlic
      - 1/2 TSP minced ginger
      - 1/4 TSP sambal oloeak or cayenne pepper
      - 2 TBSP olive oil
      - 2 TBSP water

SECRET INGREDIENT: CINAMMON (I add a good dash of cinammon, it adds a natural sweetness to the meat and just makes it taste so special!)

Preheat overn to 180 degrees.
      Mix all that up well.
      Using a very sharp knife slice your meat into small pieces, about 1 cm thick or smaller. The larger the slice the longer they take to dry, but the chewier they will be. Cutting along the grain produces a very chewy jerky, but doesnt travel as well, as the jerky is prone to falling apart at the grain lines.

Line a baking tray with al foil, spray with cooking oil. Lay jerky pieces on sheet (not to close as they may stew). The oven should be 180. The initial high temperature is to zap any bugs that may be in the meat. After about 5-10 minutes, bring the temperature down to 80-100 degrees. Bake until the jerky is chewy and dry. It may take between 2-4 hrs.
      Also, I've never actually measured out the the ingredients in the marinade, I just add by sight, a dash of this a sprinkle of that!

What I hate about this though, is that while I was nibbling on jerky whilst camping, everyone else was having carby snacks (Shapes, chips, pretzels). As soon as they found out I had jerky it was gone in a flash!!
      It really is that good!

The post was edited 2 times, last by Lilly ().

• Re: Lilly's Jerky

That looks like it would be REALLY yum :)

My oven doesn't go that low, should be moving soon so hopefully that one will!

I did have a look at those dehydrators a while back but I am not sure if I can trust what they're made from.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.