Chronic Fatigue Book

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Chronic Fatigue Book

I thought I should add this book here for anyone interested. I haven't really been getting anywhere with my doc so far so I have decided to try this supplement regime, will let you know what I think. I have also decided to add Tyrosine as not only is it important for mood but it is needed for thyroid (perhaps why it helps mood so much). Chronic fatigue is closely connected to Fibromyalgia (some refer them as one and the same) so this may interest FMS sufferers too.

This is the book, you can download as a PDF for free, also make sure to look around the website as there's heaps of information on chronic fatigue, thyroid and others. It is an easy read:

DIAGNOSING AND TREATING CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Chronic Fatigue Book

Oh and for those wondering what CFS is, this is a quote from the beginning of the book that describes it:

The Clinical Picture of CFS
      I see CFS as a symptom which may have many causes. The two key symptoms which I believe reflect mitochondrial dysfunction are:

very poor stamina (mental and physical) – i.e. you can do things, but only for about 5 seconds before tiring. This is due to slow recycling of ATP.

delayed fatigue (mental and physical) – i.e. symptoms persist for 24-96 hours if you over-do things. This is because when mitochondria are stressed, all the energy molecules (ATP, ADP and AMP) are drained out and cells have to wait 1-4 days for new energy molecules to be made via the pentose phosphate shunt. These two symptoms are central to the diagnosis of CFS. The mental fatigue manifests as poor short term memory, inability to follow a line of argument, difficulty reading or watching TV, poor problem solving ability, difficulty dealing with more than one thing at a time – what I call foggy brain. As one of my patients put it – nothing right in my left brain, nothing left in my right brain!

In additions to the above, there are common symptoms present in many cases which are worse when the patient overdoes things such as:

malaise (ie a feeling of illness) – this is caused by damage to tissues when the sufferer overdoes things. In tests this is reflected by a high cell free DNA - a measure of tissue damage. See INFLAMMATION.

muscle pain - ditto – also caused by poor antioxidant status, early switch into anaerobic metabolism, or magnesium deficiency. See PAIN, FIBROMYALGIA, ALLERGIC MUSCLES, STIFF MUSCLES.

muscle weakness (including the muscles in the eyes giving episodic, variable, blurring of vision),

sleep disturbance (whereby the “biological clock” is moved on 4-6 hours and CFSs drop off to sleep late and wake late). CFS Sufferers are natural owls.

tendency to get recurrent infections – see VIRAL INFECTIONS – HOW TO AVOID

a general hypersensitivity to noise, light, touch, pain, smells etc

drug and alcohol intolerance
      – a small drink gives a big hangover. Indeed intolerance of many drugs is common especially to antidepressants, beta blockers, statins and blood pressure medication. This may reflect poor detoxification pathways. However many of these substances inhibit mitochondria or worsen the already struggling low cardiac output. See
      DETOXIFICATION

feeling of “not being with it”

poor temperature control – see MITOCHONDRIAL FUNCTION.

gut symptoms: ALLERGY, HYPOGLYCAEMIA, GUT DYSBIOSIS, HYPOCHLORYDRIA, YEAST PROBLEMS, MALABSORPTION and POOR PANCREATIC FUNCTION.

headache,

mood swings – see BRAIN IN CFS – EDGE EFFECT

joint pain – see NUTRITIONAL TREATMENT OF ARTHRITIS, OSTEOPOROSIS

There are usually few physical signs. Sometimes there are tender trigger points in muscles and tendons, sometimes signs of inflammation such as swollen tender lymph nodes in the neck or low grade fever. However often there are no obvious abnormalities on physical examination – indeed the
      patient may look reasonably well.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Sherrie wrote:

I have decided to try this supplement regime, will let you know what I think. I have also decided to add Tyrosine as not only is it important for mood but it is needed for thyroid (perhaps why it helps mood so much).

Hi Sherrie,
      Just wanted to add that with your upcoming move and change in environment that it may also lift your energy levels which may mask or confuse which is doing the most good, the supps or the change.
      You'll have to keep this in mind while trying to assess.

Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.

Yes good thinking, I was thinking of that as well, I am thinking if I get my supps before the move it might be a good idea to take them anyway because if I am on an adrenalin rush then I will inevitably fall so they may help me with that. If that makes sense?

We'll see what happens, I still have to order them most likely from the US and if I do snail mail it might take a bit so probably won't start until after. I ordered some magnesium oil to take transdermally, apparently a lot better then taking orally. For anyone interested, I ordered some magnesium oil from a place in Australia last night, I noticed they also sell carnitine cheap as well which I already have but you have to buy it in bulk.

Wow I might be getting my supplements tomorrow, I put my order through Friday night and on my tracking its already here in Adelaide :) Looks like just before the w/e is a good time to order from the US as it keeps going through the rounds over the weekend whereas if it arrives in Australia just before, it will get stuck there over the weekend, at least that's what happened to my first order :)

Funny enough, I ordered my magnesium oil from Australia on Thursday and it is still being processed.

Thankyou, thankyou and thankyou again Sherrie!

I spent from the age of 15-22 with severe CFS. I was getting weekly B12 injections from my GP and to this day, although i am not as bad as I used to be, am still left wondering why I burn out so quickly. There are so many things in the book that I never would have related to the CFS. My hubby gets so mad with me, because I am such a night owl. I like to sleep late and wake late and I can remember things as clear as day that happened 10 yrs ago, but have trouble remembering what I did last week! I also suffer with IBS and hypoglycemia as well as intolerances to wheat/dairy.

I relapse quickly with any type of stresses. I love to do daily high intensity exercise but after about the third day in a row, I am out for the week, so it's very counterproductive :(. Emotional stress these days is probably the hardest one for me to recover from as I have had quite a bit of it and whilst a bit of confrontation never used to bother me, nowdays I just want to run and hide :S

Whilst I know that a low carb program is the best way to go for me, I have trouble adjusting them to suit my needs. The recommended Stoneage diet sounds like EXACTLY what I have been looking for as i can still eat yoghurt and fruit (which going no-low carb, I find are the hardest things for me to give up). They just need to be eaten at night, which makes sooooo much sense to me as I have bad insomnia which seems to be made worse by my low carbing and heavy meat based "carb free" dinners!

You are such a treasure! This info is absolute gold, I am going to have a more thorough read and try to start applying as I am so sick of being tired,lethargic and cranky! And being a perfectionist, it comes as no suprise to me why I got CFS in the first place!

The post was edited 1 time, last by TLP: additions ().

You're welcome :)

Mines come back bad since I weaned my daughter, make sure you read this article of hers and check out her other articles:

CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME, THE CENTRAL CAUSE: MITOCHONDRIAL FAILURE

Mine has gotten worse since having my daughter. Hubby is really lazy, so I am left doing everything by myself. So technically, I am a single mum with two kids! LOL! Extra workload on me = extra stress= relapse of cfs. I am just soooooo happy to have done some reading on the Stoneage/Paleo type diets! When I was about 19 all I pretty much ate for 1.5yrs was fruit and I lost weight and felt great, no sign of CFS at all (which is why i was always confused about low carb diets giving energy as not many contain great amounts of fruit). I was too busy thinking about what it was about fruit that was so wonderful, that maybe instead of concentrating on what I was eating, I should have concentrated on what it was that I wasn't eating, which is more than likely why I felt so much better! No grains, dairy, preservatives etc. My IBS was never a problem with all the fruit - I was literally like clockwork. On low carb diets (no fruit/grains) I have low energy, IBS flares up again big time, and I had a feeling it should be working (as it did to some degree with my tummy bloating disappearing) but now I can do a low carb type eating plan WITH the addition of fruit and technically all my problems will be solved! I am so excited to start trialing this! I really need either the addition of fruit/grains to help with IBS so it makes sense to me to go in the natural direction of fruit. You have no idea just how grateful I am to you for posting this thread :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by TLP: extras ().

I had some relief from the fatigue during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I coped much better when I was breastfeeding, being woken up constantly and having to do everything and support a very depressed partner. Perhaps I was on an adrenaline rush, who knows.

Picked up my magnesium oil today so I am already to go :)

Trying to decide whether to start now or once I am in new house, still deciding. Won't be resuming prog and test cream this month so that will be another change as well but oh well if I hold off it will never be the right time so I just have to do it :)

With the sheet of paper that came with the magnesium oil there was a suggestion to use it as deodorant. I will probably just use the magnesium on its own for a month or two just in case there's a deficiency and then add in a calcium supp.

So many supps, I will have to plan out a daily plan so I don't get confused, hope I haven't wasted my money lol

I was in denial about it for such a long time but then after reading this I realised it is just a symptom of something else. For me I suspect it is a thyroid/pituitary issue. I don't think I have a problem converting them but rather making enough hormone. I think it stems from my skipping breakfast and lunch all through childhood as I always had hypothyroid symptoms (being cold all the time, didn't sweat etc), followed by the glandular fever and then pushing myself straight into going out boozing followed by 2 hours straight in the gym 1 week after getting out of hospital and so forth, it just gets worse hehe (e.g. pushing myself too much). Then when I lost my weight even though the lowest I went was 1500 calories, I pushed myself too much. I had the mentality that I needed to do more and I'd just do more weights for longer etc when really my body was trying to tell me time out. Same thing after having Maya and everything that happened during that time, I would just push myself through it and try to look on the bright side etc

Anyway, I'm already noticing that my head is clearer and less aches, though the magnesium oil burnt like hell yesterday, I was out very early this morning all day so didn't get a chance to apply it today, may as well wait until tomorrow.

I can't remember where it was that I was talking about the D-Ribose my doc gave me a script for to get from the compounding chemist. I finally received a reply in my email yesterday and they quoted $44 for 100g whereas the one I bought was $28US for 300g, glad I listened to my instincts!

Hi :).

I have CFS myself with a host of other problems (mainly PMS, slightly underactive thyroid, adrenal fatigue etc). From what I understand this almost always comes in a package :(.

After a horrible few months spending far too much money and seeing far too many docs including unnecessary procedures such as MRI, CT and so on, I am now being treated as follows:

- adrenal fatigue: adrenoplex (mostly ginseng: can't say it really makes a difference). I am assuming the next step would be adrenal cortex (does anyone have experience with this one?) or cortisol/DHEA.

- CFS/Mitochondria problems: Ribose and all the other minerals and vitamins that were listed here (have not started the ribose yet, so can't comment yet). So far none of those have made a difference, but maybe it is just the ribose that is missing.

- Hormonal imbalance/PMS: progesterone cream (made a difference straight away)

- Thyroid: will need to start taking L-thyrosine once the other problems are fixed (from what I understand you always need to treat the adrenal fatigue first).

- Will also start Wobenzym (as it seems to all come down to gut problems/enzyme problems?). Has anyone had experience with this product?

- I have been ordering magnesium gel from the US (will let you know how I go with that).

Also: this is how CFS is mostly treated in my home country: has anyone here tried VegEPA? This is meant to bring great relief. It can't be any OMEGA supplement though. It needs to have a very high content of EPA and you need to start with 8 capsules a day. Unfortunately it is very expensive. Apparently it fixes the gut problems that are associated with CFS.

Cheers

Dr B put me on cortisol as the next step (which made things worse) so that might be what he does with you. Where did you get the magnesium gel? Might be cheaper then the oil :)

I am taking a high EPA and DHA fish oil supp from iherb, I am a bit weary with omega 3 in that they usually thin my blood a lot.

Hi there,

the gel is quite expensive :(. US$39. It is just magnesium and Aloe Vera. The reason why I got that is because I also want to try it on my girls eczema (can't use the oil on her).

EPA: apparently it is very important that the product contains no DHA. It only works if it is only EPA (and primrose oil). A combination of DHA and EPA alters the EPA before it starts acting in the body (having trouble explaining this... ), but there is a bit on the net, if you google VegEPA and chronic fatigue.

I'll let you be the guinea pig and if it helps you I might give it a try :)

Maya had eczema, I tried special creams, diet etc etc and the only thing that seems to work for her is tepid water and less baths, I still use fragrance free products etc but it is the less baths and tepid water that got rid of it once and for all *crosses fingers* I guess even those soaps etc still irritate. She hasn't had eczema for hmm perhaps all year!

I saw an endo back in 2004 and he was of no help, just told me I had CFS, gave me a couple of pieces of paper explaining CFS and how I have to pace myself and that was it.