Iron Supplement - what is a good one?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Iron Supplement - what is a good one?

You want ione that had folic acid with it and also take it with a vitamin c tablet. I think it had an orange lid. This one was good as it didn't constipate me.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Sherrie you may be able to clarify this for me , the naturapath at the pharmacy told me to take an iron tablet that had Co-factors in it . She gave me a ramble as to why , but I cannot remember what it was . Sh also said not to take it with other supplements ?????

The one she recommended for me was

ETHICAL NUTRIENTS

IRON PLUS (iron with co-factors)

So when I saw adipips question I thought I would find out if you or anyone knew anything about the co-factors side of it .
      DAISY

Small steps to a healthy lifestyle....here we go

Daisy, I just googled it and no I don't like it at all. It has calcium in it and calcium and iron compete with each other.

Godfordgirl, it really depends on how well a persons gut is, how much red meat they eat and what they eat it with, activity level and how heavy they menstruate. Daisy has lots of problems with the last one and hence her problems.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Daisy , that was the one the lady at the health food shop sold me but I dont feel its the right one. Thankyou for clarifying that Sherrie cos I thought it had calcium in it and thats a big no- no to have with iron.
      It also says on my bottle - not to be used to treat iron deficiency - so really dont see the point of it to be honest.

Gosford girl - I am doing CSIRO which is fairly low carb - it does allow some carbs but not a lot. I think my problem has been there for awhile just hasnt been diagnosed till this stage - plus I am a coeliac and iron deficiency is pretty common. Plus I dont eat a lot of red meat - mainly chicken but I am trying to change this

:)

Gee I am so surprised by that , also so sorry for the mis-information . I am so annoyed at that pharmacy and will definately be giving them a piece of my mind . She talked me into that brand with all this mumble jumble , and she knew I was iron deficient . I really am so mad actually , as it is no wonder I still feel very deficient . My last reading was still 4 , maybe this explains why .

So once again I really do appololgise for giving out the wrong information . Thankyou Sherrie for being on the ball .
      DAISY

Daisy I don't know how mine compared to the other two on this link but the FGF one (orange lid) is the one that the hospital gave me when I left as well as vitamin c tablets which I had to take at the same time. This was after I had a hemorrhage of 1.5-2 litres of blood, 2 blood transfusions and was still anemic and breastfeeding. When I had my bloods done at 6 weeks my iron was allegedly fine though I am going by the doctors fine as I never saw the results. This one didn't constipate me and if I recall I think this is the one Pixie likes as she has problems with hemorrhages and others would constipate her.

Remember not to take dairy or fibre around any iron supplements as they may interfere.

Yeh Daisy I am very annoyed as well as she went straight to that one and said it was great blah blah and she calls herself a naturopath :eek:
      And it had REALLY BAD side effects for me too !!

I ended up getting "spa-tone" its a liquid one, which should absorb well (for my coeliacs) so will see how that goes - have had no side effects as yet so thats good. If that doesnt work but will go with the one you suggested Sherrie - I was advised against that one (renowned for side effects apparently ??) but then you have said you didnt have any (I had already bought it when I read that)

I honestly did think something like an iron supplement would be so confusing really

Cheers

Hey adipip, it is the only one I have ever taken so I definitely am no expert but yes I had no problems with it. Pixie has tried a few so if you run into trouble she would be a good person to ask.

Okay so I have gotten to the bottom of the 'iron plus' confusion . I have spoken to 2 different naturapaths and here is the story . On the label it says "not for the treatment of iron deficiency conditions" . Okay so apparently you will see this on every bottle of iron tablets purchased from now on , as it is a requirement by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). The reason is that people were purcahsing iron tablets just because they were tired and not actually checking if they were deficient or not . They also told me that the amount of calcium is minimal and in no way at that dose can it interfere and in actual fact it is needed to add the absorption . They both agreed that calcium and iron should not be taken together , but in this small amount is not a concern . Now they also told me that this particular formulation is by far the best way to take iron and one even showed me a text book on why . To be totally honest i was so lost in all the medical jargon I did not understand it .

So bottom line is that I would take the one that Sherrie was talking about , as it seems to be the one that most people take . then after 3 months have your iron checked again .

I am going to continue to take the one my new Dr advised me to , as I have other issues as well . i just feel so much better now though , as I was very confused by the labelling . It all seems very ridiculous to me , but it is just the age we live in I guess and the amount of people sueing these companies .
      DAISY

Thanks for explaining all that Daisy - definitely helps explain a few things.

I am going to take the spa tone for a month and then go and see another doctor and get them tested (my current doctor is next to useless I have discovered !!) and take it from there

Thanks again for everyones help

Daisy, if your iron levels have not improved whilst taking it all this time then I would be looking into why, whether its the supp or digestive issues. See, this is another thing where thyroid comes in as it needs iron to function also.

Sherrie wrote:

Daisy, if your iron levels have not improved whilst taking it all this time then I would be looking into why, whether its the supp or digestive issues. See, this is another thing where thyroid comes in as it needs iron to function also.

It has not been retested as yet , as I had to wait 3 months . So I am due to have it retested next week . I am so hoping it has improved , as I am wanting to restart donating blood .
      DAISY

Yep I used to take the one with the orange lid, seemed like so long ago.
      Today while stocking up on l/c foods I purchased the Centrum Recharge vitamins, they are full of the B's, vitamin C and folic acid.....have had them before and they seemed good then.
      I have really been struggling with the feeling that something isnt right, constant fatigue, unable to go to sleep, not feeling like getting up in the morning, almost like everything is to hard. I don't have a good GP either just one to go to for scripts and filling forms in.