The benefits of Maca

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: The benefits of Maca

Hi Wen ~ looks like we're on the same wavelength! I saw Maca mentioned a few times in members' diaries and wondered what it was.

Have been researching it on the net a bit and like what I see so far, but I'm wondering about anyone's personal experiences with it.

I did a search on POH and see Sherrie posted a link to an old thread here:

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?t=987

Also, on that site you mention, it says (for those too busy to follow links):

"Traditionally, the native Peruvians of the Andes have been using it, since well before the time of the Incas, as an aphrodisiac, for stamina, for energy and for physical endurance. In just the last 20 years, South American doctors have rediscovered it, and use it to treat numerous problems and diseases, including premenstrual syndrome, menopause (vagina dryness, hot flashes, depression), male impotence, infertility and osteoporosis. It is also used for memory disorders, mental clarity and increased erectile tissue response.

This is not an ordinary plant. Maca has the potency to forestall the hormonal changes which cause aging. It acts on men and women to balance their hormonal systems. It does this by regulating the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus, the master glands. These, in turn, trigger the Endocrine System - the adrenals, testes, ovaries, thyroid and pancreas to return to normal healthy function, producing the appropriate amounts of hormones needed.

Maca all but reverses the aging process..."

It sounds amazing! Has anyone else been taking it? Please post your thoughts / experiences here!

You probably have seen I have been taking it every morning now for a number of weeks and instantly saw a great improvement, like the fist day I took it I was thinking...hey, why do I feel so much better today, then realized a couple of days later...it' was the maca.

I started taking it again to stop the hot flashes, that hasn't happened yet, but I think it is supposed to take a little while for that, but Immediate energy levels and much better mental improvement.
      My Blog
      First Mini Goal of 1.6 achieved - 30-7-2013

MINI GOAL

BIGGER GOAL

BIGGEST GOAL TO COME

jojoamethyst wrote:

i posted about this a while ago and everyone made fun of me :cool:

Yes, I saw that thread when I was searching for info, Jojo. Not very nice (but a bit funny! lol) :D

Are you taking it? Have you noticed any difference in mood / energy?

If I was responding to your thread, I'd post "Yeah, Jojo, I've heard of it and want to know more!" :D

wenever wrote:

You probably have seen I have been taking it every morning now for a number of weeks and instantly saw a great improvement, like the fist day I took it I was thinking...hey, why do I feel so much better today, then realized a couple of days later...it' was the maca.

I started taking it again to stop the hot flashes, that hasn't happened yet, but I think it is supposed to take a little while for that, but Immediate energy levels and much better mental improvement.

Yes, Wenny, your's is probably one of the diaries I saw it in. Like you, I've spent some time checking it out now and it sounds really positive.

One of the things I like the sounds of is that it's a natural adaptogen:

"In the 1930s, Russian scientists studying plant medicine coined the term adaptogen to refer to a plant that promoted non specific benefits to an organism while inducing NO negative side effects.

An adaptogen is a substance which raises the non-specific resistance in an organism.

Adaptogens enable the body to enhance its power of resistance and adapt to external conditions.

They work with the body's natural rhythms to help rebuild weak immune systems, re-mineralize poorly nourished bodies, and increase energy and endurance.
      "

Much more info on this website: macaroot.com/benefits/index.html

I like the idea of a natural herb that helps the body to repair and balance itself :)

Anyway, enough research... I'm off to see if I can find any Maca on this primitive little island! Fingers crossed! :)

Scribe wrote:

Yes, I saw that thread when I was searching for info, Jojo. Not very nice (but a bit funny! lol) :D

Are you taking it? Have you noticed any difference in mood / energy?

If I was responding to your thread, I'd post "Yeah, Jojo, I've heard of it and want to know more!" :D

was a bit funny cos i knew the girls but a bit mean too LOL

took it for a while but not right now

I was reading up on it again yesterday and thought I would put this in really simple terms as to what Maca does, just for a better idea. Now please anyone who knows correct me if I have said this wrong, but this is how I see how it works.

We all have glands, IE thyroid gland, plus many others
      we have hormones that flow through the body giving these glands the correct amount of nutrients they need, or hormones, to keep them functioning as they should to make the body run perfectly.
      This doesn't always happen correctly, so different glands don't work properly making the body sick, or tired, or run down.
      Maca works along with the hormones and makes sure the hormones give the correct amount of nutrients/hormones to each gland, enabling the body to recover somewhat and perform better.
      My Blog

MINI GOAL

BIGGER GOAL

BIGGEST GOAL TO COME

Hi Wenny ~ your description made my brain hurt a bit, but I think that sounds about right :D

I really like the fact it's a natural adaptogen, so each body will take it and use it where it's needed. The increased energy and support for the immune system are my main reasons for wanting to try it (plus the increased libido doesn't sound bad, either!)

Whatever... I went to the city and luckily found some in tablet form, just the maca 500mg.

This is day 3 of taking them and, whether it's psychological or not, I definitely have more energy and it lasts until later in the day, too!

Are you still taking it? A lot of the sites say you should cycle on and off, so your body gets used to it (eg: one week on, one day off).

So far, so good! :)

Yes I still take it and feel the benefits definitely

I'm glad you sourced some and it is making you feel energetic, physiological or not...it still works lol

I haven't cycled it and I'm not sure I want too in case I fall in a screaming hep, or my flushes get worse...lool funny story I was in bed this morning and it was quite cold I didn't want to get out, so I told R I will wait till I have a hot flush and that will make me warm enough to get out hehe, well naturally when you want one, you don't get one!
      My Blog

MINI GOAL

BIGGER GOAL

BIGGEST GOAL TO COME

Lol about the hot flushes. I haven't got there yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm perimenopausal, so I'm hoping the maca (+ the melatonin + the omega 3's) will help ease my way to "wise woman" (rather than mad woman!) :eek: :D

I made a point of noticing my energy levels yesterday, and I definitely do have more energy. No mid afternoon drop and I feel more alert and healthy. Placebo or not, I'm impressed! :)

Day 4 of Maca for me.

Hot flushes as bad as ever (currently going through a very bad patch actually, drives me nuts). But afternoon energy soooooo much better than it has been for years. I spent over 3 hours making cauli pizza bases yesterday arvo..no WAY I could have done that a week ago..not without the use of heavy chains to keep me there anyways LOL

I'm on powder form..i take one heaped tspn in the mornings with a tblspn of natural greek yoghurt (lowest carb I could find) and a dash of light ribena. Took a bit of getting used to the taste, but it's growing on me :D.

I'll try the one day off after the first week is done Scribe. Are you and Wenny still using it?

PerthNat wrote:

I'll try the one day off after the first week is done Scribe. Are you and Wenny still using it?

Sorry Nat, I just saw this post now. Weirdly enough, I didn't take the maca during the 2+ weeks I was sick with the tummy bug. Mostly because I wasn't keeping anything in my tummy, so I thought it would be a waste! Stupid, in retrospect... it might have helped with me feeling so lethargic :p

Back on the maca the last few days and presto! More energy again, especially in the afternoons. Like you, I'm getting heaps more done :D

I've read the powder form is better to take, but doesn't taste so good. It's not available over here anyway, but the tablets ~ though they seem subtle ~ do seem to do the job! :D

Yep I still take it, when I went ot adelaide I was slack and didn;t and noticed a difference.

I am taking it with my morning cereal ( refer to my diary for cereal) and have noticed a definite increase in energy again.

it definitely works
      My Blog

MINI GOAL

BIGGER GOAL

BIGGEST GOAL TO COME