Low Carb Cereal

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Low Carb Cereal

There's a couple of recipes in the breakfast thread: low carb breakfast

The people that owned this forum a long time ago used to sell a cereal and muffin mix which consisted of psylium (sp?) husks, flax/linseeds, dessicated coconut, whey protein isolate and lecithin (for storage). They had a coarse ground version for cereal and a finer ground mix for muffins, cakes etc... This was really yummy and very clean (e.g. no nuts) with no bitter taste. I used to have it every morning as a cold cereal and would just mix some of it with some splenda and cream (sometimes some strawberries as well), others would eat it warm as a porridge but for me the less gluggy the better, made a good cheesecake base as well :)

Anyway, it shouldn't be hard to make your own if you ever feel like playing around with it, flax seeds are best eaten freshly ground (always make sure to grind them otherwise they will pass straight through and won't be absorbed).
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Sherrie wrote:

There's a couple of recipes in the breakfast thread: low carb breakfast

The people that owned this forum a long time ago used to sell a cereal and muffin mix which consisted of psylium (sp?) husks, flax/linseeds, dessicated coconut, whey protein isolate and lecithin (for storage). They had a coarse ground version for cereal and a finer ground mix for muffins, cakes etc... This was really yummy and very clean (e.g. no nuts) with no bitter taste. I used to have it every morning as a cold cereal and would just mix some of it with some splenda and cream (sometimes some strawberries as well), others would eat it warm as a porridge but for me the less gluggy the better, made a good cheesecake base as well :)

Anyway, it shouldn't be hard to make your own if you ever feel like playing around with it, flax seeds are best eaten freshly ground (always make sure to grind them otherwise they will pass straight through and won't be absorbed).

Hi Sherrie - are these things available from a normal supermarket?
      Thank you
      Emily

The individual items? Yes definitely, you will find them in the health food section though the coconut might be in the section with the dried fruits and nuts. I always buy organic coconut from organic shops though as regular dried coconut and fruits contain sulphites.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.