In or out of ketosis?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• In or out of ketosis?

I have been on atkins for two weeks and after just two days I was getting moderate ketone levels. Even when I drank vodka and diet coke I was in ketosis.
      For some reason two days ago I was showing no sign of ketosis after eating a day of pretty much only protein as I was really busy at work. I did have two glasses of wine when I got home but that shouldn't have affected me as I ate hardly any carbs all day and the wine was white and very dry/not sweet.
      I have neither gained or lost over the past two days and still tonight even after exercising this morning I wasn't showing that I was in ketosis.

Is it possible that the wine took me out of ketosis and it will take me a few days to get back into it?
      Would really like to hear all your experiences on going in an out of ketosis according to the sticks and your weight loss.
    • Re: In or out of ketosis?

If you had gone right out of ketosis you would've gained weight. Your body is just starting to adapt and become more efficient and not wasting so many ketones. Unless you show tell tale signs such as overnight weight gain of 1 or more kg, cravings and hunger etc I wouldn't worry about it.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

I also find the ketostix confusing, I have been doing atkins for the last 5 weeks now, and some days they are purple and some days they almost look negative.
      Yesterday i actually had some spinach pie and thought the pastry would have knocked me out, and later in the night it looked negative. Today I'm back to purple again, go figure.
      I also notice that when i mix lemon juice with my water i get a negative read and then within 24 hours i'm back to purple again...
      Like Sherrie said, i think it's best to read your body signs and not so much the stix.!

It is confusing - I have been on dark purple for about a week now but not really losing much :confused: - I will keep using them for now but , for some reason it makes me feel better to see the reading - so not sure what is going on in my head there :D
      Cheers
      Nic

[SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Orange"]You can't stop the waves - but you can learn to surf[/SIZE][/SIZE] ;)[/COLOR]

I can see that everyone is confused. We are all having different results! I am the same as you all though - I like using the sticks as a way to see how I am going even though they don't seem to work. Must be a mental thing.

I think I have hit a stall - AGAIN I have not lost weight. Since Monday I have not lost a gram. Its so frustrating as I am trying so hard and am eating exactly what I ate during my first 9 days where I was losing 200grams a day!

Don't lose hope guys, I stalled for 4 weeks, had no loss all that time and was reading purple stix the whole time, I then twigged my diet a little and removed cheese, and some protein cookies i was having and finally lost 1.5kg.
      Maybe look at what your eating, also make sure to drink 3ltrs of water, i found that was imperative!. i also started exercising, which i hadn't at all.

Just keep up the motivation, and it will budge!

Having same diffs as lots of you-exercising daily, sticking to diet rigidly, not super hungry, pink-purple ketostix and weight not budging. Helps to know others having similar probs. Will persevere-it's worked for me before.

Hey Guys, day 12 for me but strips suddenly pale pink. Can't exercise because of torn meniscus in my knee, so am counting calories as well. Weight should be dropping off but isnt. I am going to take advice from you and stop eating my cheese snack and cutting my 20mls of cream out of my evening decaf treat. Maybe this will help. Thanks for all the great info.

ellen wrote:

Hey Guys, day 12 for me but strips suddenly pale pink. Can't exercise because of torn meniscus in my knee, so am counting calories as well. Weight should be dropping off but isnt. I am going to take advice from you and stop eating my cheese snack and cutting my 20mls of cream out of my evening decaf treat. Maybe this will help. Thanks for all the great info.

I have done both things to get me out of a plateau. One was what you are suggesting by removing cheese snacks and cream. The other was to do the opposite and cut down on the protein and eat more fats. Eating more fats definitely helped me. Meals I ate included fritattas, cream cheese muffins, cream cheese omlettes, macadamia nuts etc. I made sure I didn't eat over 1300 calories a day when eating the high fats and the weight just FELL OFF. When I start to see my weight loss stall a bit like last week, I just ate higher fat foods and less protein and the change broke my stall. I signed up to calorie king (its free) and I track my carbs and fats and make sure my diet is about 80% fats and it really works!!!

Thanks rose willow, still having problem wrapping my head around more fat, years of ingrained diet mantra! Totally false i am now finding out. As for calorie king ive been signed up with them for a while now, keeping to around 1200 calories, but doing low carbs and high protein. I am certainly going to try the higher fat regime.

I've been on Atkins since December 16, lost 13.3 kilos since then and haven't had any reading whatsoever with the ketostix! I read somewhere, that if you drink a lot the ketones get so diluted they don't show up in your pee. I was worried at first, but since I'm losing all the time, I don't anymore.

Hello Nettie, 13+ kgs, wow that is fantastic! thanks for the encouragement and have you posted a food diary? I would love to know what you are eating. You are right about the drinking bit, i realised this after i read your blog.