Best Ever Meatloaf

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Best Ever Meatloaf

Ok this is one fantastic recipe. You wont be able to get enough of it, its so good. Its found here: stellastyle.com/community2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3512

Beefed-Up Meat Loaf

Prep Time: 30 minutes
      Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
      Yield: 8 servings

Tomato Topping:
      1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
      1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
      1/4 cup sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
      2 teaspoons white vinegar or water

2 pounds ground chuck (may use meat loaf mix with ground pork)
      2 eggs
      1/2 cup grated Parmesan
      1/4 cup red onion, diced small
      1/4 cup roasted or fresh red bell peppers, diced
      2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
      1/2 teaspoon dried basil
      1 teaspoon kosher salt
      1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
      1/4 pound prosciutto, or any type of ham, thinly sliced
      1/4 pound provolone cheese, sliced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a small bowl, mix together the tomato topping ingredients. Set aside. You may add a few drops of water to thin to a ketchup consistency.

In a large bowl, mix together the beef, eggs, Parmesan, vegetables, herbs, and seasonings.

Working on a waxed paper lined sheet pan or counter, form meatloaf mix into a 10 by 8-inch flat rectangle on the waxed paper. Place a layer of prosciutto slices on top, followed by a layer of provolone slices. Roll up the stuffed meatloaf mix like a burrito and seal the edges all around by pinching the meat.

Place the roll, seam side down, into a 5 by 9-inch loaf pan. Spread a heavy coat of the tomato topping to completely cover the top of the meatloaf. Place in oven and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the temperature on a meat thermometer registers 165 degrees F. Drain fat and let rest at least 10 minutes before slicing.

Nutrition Information per serving
      Calories 509
      Fat 39 grams
      Saturated Fat 17 grams
      Carbohydrates 7 grams
      Fiber 1 gram
      Net Carbohydrates 6 grams
    • Re: Best Ever Meatloaf

Thanks Scrappy :)

I have never liked meatloaf and thus never made one before but I know Garry loves it so I might give it a whirl.

I think what I would do though is instead of all that tomato sauce and paste I will just use a bottle of passata (however much replaces the quantity of the sauce and paste) and some fresh basil then replace the splenda and vinegar with the juice of a lemon. I think that would be a nice touch :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Best Ever Meatloaf

Oh both sound very nice, but I wasn't sure what Passata was so I did a google on it and came across this which I thought I'd add for anyone that was interested.

What is Passata?

Q: I saw a recipe for Corsican Beef Stew that calls for 2 Tbsp of passata. What is passata?

A: Passata is a cooked tomato concentrate. In the case of the recipe you refer to, which calls for a small amount, you might prefer to substitute tomato paste rather than going to the trouble of making a batch of passata.

There is also a growing body of thought that passata is an uncooked tomato concentrate.

In the meantime, one of our lovely readers has supplied her own recipe for what she assures us is a delicious cooked passata:

Passata

Ingredients:

2 or 3 oz of pancetta, chopped
      1 carrot, chopped fine
      1 onion, chopped fine
      1 celery stalk, chopped fine
      1.5 lb of boneless pork shoulder
      2 Tbsp olive oil
      1 cup very dry red wine
      1 cup tomato sauce
      1 can tomato paste

Instructions:

Blend the pancetta, carrot, onion, and celery in a food processor and mill until fully chopped.

Place the boneless pork shoulder into a pan with the olive oil, and add the mix of chopped ingredients. Add a cup of very dry red wine and a cup of tomato sauce, and cook until pork is tender and liquid reduced, about 1-1/2 hours. Remove the pork and use for anything you like.

Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of tomato paste at a time and cook until drying. Add more, and do this over and over until the entire can is incorporated.

The resulting passata will be brownish, shiny, and very concentrated, and can be used for many different dishes. It should be refrigerated in a glass container, and will keep for several weeks.

Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.