Vietnamese PHO to die for!!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Vietnamese PHO to die for!!

Pho: this makes heaps of stock. BUT it is great to freeze.

Ingredients
      2.5 kg beef knuckle, with meat
      1kg beef oxtail
      1 white (daikon) radish,
      sliced 2 onions
      chopped 2 ounces whole star anise pods
      1/2 cinnamon stick
      2 whole cloves
      1 teaspoon black peppercorns
      1 knob fresh ginger root finely sliced
      salt & cracke black pepper to taste
      1 tablespoon fish sauce.
      1 kg frozen beef skirt - sirloin- brisket - what ever you can get that will freeze and then slice thinly

TOPPINGS: sriracha hot pepper sauce, hoisin sauce, thinly sliced onion or eschallots, fired garlic, chopped fresh corriander, bean sprouts (mung beans) sweet Thai basil, thinly sliced green onion, limes, quartered & ssqueezed into soup. Finely sliced not to hot chilli. You can add any or all of the above to your taste.

Directions
      Place the beef knuckle in a very large pot. Season with salt, and fill pot with water. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 3 hours.
      Skim fat from the surface of the soup, and add the oxtail, radish and onions. Tie the anise pods, cinnamon stick, cloves, peppercorns and ginger in a cheesecloth or place in a spice bag; add to the soup.
      Add salt & pepper & fish sauce. Simmer over medium-low heat for at least 4 more hours (the longer, the better). At the end of cooking, taste, and add salt as needed. Strain broth, and return to the pot to keep at a simmer. (or let come to room temp and divide into freezer containers and freeze)
      Discard spices and bones. Reserve meat from the beef knuckle for other uses if desired. (although why you would use it by that stage it is mush!!)

If you can get the japanese noodles that everyone here has been talking about use them. I can't think of the name I just pick them up from my asian shop LOL

Serving
      Slice the frozen beef paper thin. It is easier to slice wafer thin when frozen.
      The meat must be thin enough to cook instantly it is dropped into the stock.
      Place some noodles into each bowl, and top with a few raw beef slices. Ladle boiling broth over the beef and noodles .
      Serve with selection of toppings for individuals to add toppings to their liking.

One note though.

For some reason with me and a girlfriend give 1/2 hour after eating and you need the LOO BIG TIME:eek:>>>>> it is always a rush.!!!;);)
      Bron Doingit
      :)
      Now to maintain.....hard work! :D

The post was edited 2 times, last by DOINGIT ().