Advice on Exercise Pls

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Advice on Exercise Pls

Heya,
      I have recently discovered the gym (November) and i have found i really like it.. (after not thinking I would ever be a gym goer!).
      My usual routine in Mon and Wed, Fri and Sat 30 mins on walker 6.5kph and 7.5% incline then about another 20 mins on strength and weights training
      Tues and Thurs I have a PT session for an hour, do all kinds of things in this time.
      Tues and Thursday are also Aqua Aerobics for 45 mins.
      Sunday the gym is closed so its usually a walk to get the paper the long way around...
      Some one told me recently that this is too much training for someone looking to loose weight.. I am about 87 kg.. I am really confused, I thought regular exercise was good for you and I am really enjoying it... What shall I do?
      Thanks for any advice.
      Jak
    • Re: Advice on Exercise Pls

If you're not feeling exhausted it might be ok just make sure you don't drop calories too low and have a shake at the end of your work out. If you still start to feel drained try adding some glucose to the shake starting with the days that you work out intensely.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Hey Jak, I do at least that amount of exercise. The only thing I do differently now is maybe have a little bit more carbs before a workout and I have a protein shake afterwards if I feel I need it.
      Muscle burns more calories than fat anyway so your body is burning more fuel 24/7 :)

[Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wBNvBCc/weight.png]

"The most important person to be honest with is yourself"

Thanks for your comments..
      I had been at a plateau since November and joined the gym to assist, which till now it hadn't.. started Low Carb Monday and have lost 4.4kg so far and feeling great.. not tired at all after the gym, quite energized actually.. i feel better than I have in years. I will continue with the gym, switching to more cardio and less weights though, to see if I can make a huge impact in my first couple of weeks on Low Carb..
      Thanks again... Jak

jakimac wrote:

Heya,
      I have recently discovered the gym (November) and i have found i really like it.. (after not thinking I would ever be a gym goer!).
      My usual routine in Mon and Wed, Fri and Sat 30 mins on walker 6.5kph and 7.5% incline then about another 20 mins on strength and weights training
      Tues and Thurs I have a PT session for an hour, do all kinds of things in this time.
      Tues and Thursday are also Aqua Aerobics for 45 mins.
      Sunday the gym is closed so its usually a walk to get the paper the long way around...
      Some one told me recently that this is too much training for someone looking to loose weight.. I am about 87 kg.. I am really confused, I thought regular exercise was good for you and I am really enjoying it... What shall I do?
      Thanks for any advice.
      Jak

When I started on atkins I didn't have the energy to go to the gym which was a shame as I used to do quite a lot of classes. If you don't feel absolutely tired at the end of the day I say go for it! I dont think exercise can hurt. Now, instead of doing classes I go to the gym five times a week and just run on the treadmill until it tells me I have burnt between 150-200 calories and then I do weights. I find little bursts rather than classes keep me still loving the gym.

jakimac wrote:

Thanks for your comments..
      I had been at a plateau since November and joined the gym to assist, which till now it hadn't.. started Low Carb Monday and have lost 4.4kg so far and feeling great.. not tired at all after the gym, quite energized actually.. i feel better than I have in years. I will continue with the gym, switching to more cardio and less weights though, to see if I can make a huge impact in my first couple of weeks on Low Carb..
      Thanks again... Jak

Hi Jak,

Switching to cardio will only break your muscle back down and that is what will be the weight loss not the fat loss. Continue on with the weights as you need to build as much muscle as possible. Remember its about the fat loss and not the weight loss.