when does the weight start to drop!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• when does the weight start to drop!

Have been in ketosis for a least 4 days -have been on low carb for a week but weight still same. Am exercising each day and drinking plenty of water but I am post-menopausal so wonder if that's got anything to do with no weight loss yet. Only have a few kilos to lose.
    • Re: when does the weight start to drop!

Hi Trish, I'm no expert but I know that post breastfeeding (I still have full breasts 7 months after stopping feeding) I found the low carb diet takes much longer to kick in (in terms of weight loss) than previously. Rotten female hormones! I have only just started again and although it's not going to be as easy I am just going to stick at it. Are you doing some weight bearing exercise? I find even light weights help immensly.

My other thought is, that as I have lived low carb for 10 years pre-pregancy, that maybe the weight loss is not as radical as my system is used to it, not sure if that theory is proven widely though. Although I have alot more to lose than you, I reckon stick at it, good luck!

PS. forgot to say, my mum started lc when she was post-menopausal and was slower to notice weight loss but did really well in the long term.

The post was edited 1 time, last by dani ().

Thankyou Danni-your reply was really helpful. I "did" Atkins 8 years ago and lost weight easily and quickly and kept all the weight off easily on low-carb for years. 1/2 stone crept on even though I've been largely low-carb-ie no bread etc but with a new husband occasional cakes and chocolates(!) have caused some havoc. I walk briskly for an hour a day and exercise bike for 20 mins most days plus yoga 1x/week but will take on your suggestion of some other weight-bearing exercises-Any suggestions?
      Thanks too for sharing your mother's experience-I do plan to hang in.

Hi Trish, cake and chocolates are also my weakness :o! I was usually pretty good at avoiding them in the past but this time I am going to try some of the great sweets recipes on this website and use them for special occasions. My plan is to get good at a few favourite recipes then I can easily whip one up when a craving takes me.

Your exercise regime sounds great, the yoga is so good for everything. I must get back to doing some, I was spoilt with having classes closeby when I lived in the city but now in the country. My mum does yoga at home in the mornings but I'm not such a morning person. Your yoga probably does core strength exercises, which I do now. I find that if you build a little muscle the fat burning is accelerated. For a start I'd suggest just some hand weights, most department stores, sports stores and ebay sell them cheaply and try some pushups and squats (internet has some good instructions on basic exercises).

If you want to do more than that it's best to go to a gym to get someone to run you through the weights and how to use them safely if your not familiar with them (them improvise at home if the gym's not your scene).
      For weights, I used to go to a gym and my mum does a couple of sessions a week at a gym. Now I am in the country though I have just bought some 2.5kg hand weights and I sometimes walk/light jog with them and I also have an old weight bench with a barbell and some weights that I do a range of basic exercises, bench press, bicep curls, squats with weights. I'm only just getting back into it and will add more to the range as I get stronger. Even when I did 3 heavy weight sessions a week I have never bulked up, just toned, the weight bearing exercise just helps with the whole fat burning thing I find. Hope this helps, Dani.

Thanks so much for the exercise info Danni-really helpful.I hate gyms but happy to exercise at home so will improvise as you suggested. Have tried the little cheesecakes recipe and find that good. Where do I find more sweet recipes? -not having any trouble with savoury ideas. Am avoiding chocolates easily. Thanks again- this website is just so helpful.

I'm still finding my way around in here too Trish. When I log in, I just go to forums and then to the cooking and recipes secion and sift my way through posts for recipes. Another great tool is the Search option, I go to the advanced search and just show titles if I'm looking for something in particular like cheesecake and it brings up all posts with cheescake in the heading.

HElp.... I am getting worried about the scales heading in the wrong direction for the whole week!
      was 84.4 early in the week... this morning I am 85.8... and the ONLY naughty thigs i have eaten all week is two slices of toast with vegemite least night cause I am getting the flu and feel like crap..
      Really disheartened, even went to the gym last night, though I was feeling rotten.. i am drinking at least 2 litres water a day, eating regularly.. not having trouble with portion size at all, i am really committed.. I guess I am frustrated becuase I was on OPtislim and got from 103 ish to about 93 ish in a couple of months... I know I have only been on LC for a fortnight, but I seem to be putting on 200g a day, not the other.. Measured this morning just in case and there is no change there up nor down.... How do we mentally get through the UP times when we have been so good.... If I had been cheating, it wouldn't bother me at all... but it has been a long time since I have been so good when trying to loose weight, and I am frustrated that no matter how hard I work out at the gym, it soesn't seem to be working this week... I don't the TOM anymore after having an op to relieve heavy loss about 3 years ago (best thing in the world...), so i dunno if that would ahve anything to do with it... Sorry for the big rant... just need to vent.. ANy fairies out there with a magic wand to help me?

That gain is from the bread you had last night, it is just fluid and will go in a couple of days.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

jakimac wrote:

HElp.... I am getting worried about the scales heading in the wrong direction for the whole week!
      was 84.4 early in the week... this morning I am 85.8... and the ONLY naughty thigs i have eaten all week is two slices of toast with vegemite least night cause I am getting the flu and feel like crap..
      Really disheartened, even went to the gym last night, though I was feeling rotten.. i am drinking at least 2 litres water a day, eating regularly.. not having trouble with portion size at all, i am really committed.. I guess I am frustrated becuase I was on OPtislim and got from 103 ish to about 93 ish in a couple of months... I know I have only been on LC for a fortnight, but I seem to be putting on 200g a day, not the other.. Measured this morning just in case and there is no change there up nor down.... How do we mentally get through the UP times when we have been so good.... If I had been cheating, it wouldn't bother me at all... but it has been a long time since I have been so good when trying to loose weight, and I am frustrated that no matter how hard I work out at the gym, it soesn't seem to be working this week... I don't the TOM anymore after having an op to relieve heavy loss about 3 years ago (best thing in the world...), so i dunno if that would ahve anything to do with it... Sorry for the big rant... just need to vent.. ANy fairies out there with a magic wand to help me?

Hang in there it's only a small gain compared to what you've lost. Probably IS the bread-so it's telling you what you have to avoid. Think of it as a gift!!! It looks like you're doing everything else right. I also think that hormone changes slow things down a tad so maybe need a bit longer to see results.Good luck!

Trish wrote:

Have been in ketosis for a least 4 days -have been on low carb for a week but weight still same. Am exercising each day and drinking plenty of water but I am post-menopausal so wonder if that's got anything to do with no weight loss yet. Only have a few kilos to lose.

Being post menopausal probably has at least something to do with it. Estrogen blocks lipoprotein lipase (LPL) enzymes from pulling fat into your fat cells. When women go through menopause estrogen is not as prevalent, and as a result most women naturally gain weight without changing their eating or exercise habits. If you're purposefully trying to lose weight under these same conditions I would imagine that it would only inhibit your weight loss.