Peanut butter protein cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Peanut butter protein cookies

I just made a batch of peanut butter cookies and adapted the recipe to suit a low carb diet. These cookies are so yummy and taste exactly like the ones I used to make before, only they had flour and 2 different sugars in them.

1 cup peanut butter (I found a Sanitarium one with no added sugar or salt, 250g = 24.25g carbs)
      3/4 cup sugar replacement (I use Hermestas, 3/4 cup = 11.2g carbs)
      1 egg (0.3g carbs)
      2 tsp vanilla protein powder (4.2g carbs)

Mix all ingredients together and roll into balls, flatten and place on baking tray. They don't spread much. Bake at 180 degrees C for about 15 - 20 mins.

You can omit the protein powder and add 1 tsp vanilla. They seemed a bit wet without something to bind them, so last time I added a few tsp of flaxmeal.

Overall the recipe has about 40g carbs and 90g protein. The recipe makes about 15 medium sized cookies, so each one would have roughly 2.6g carbs and 6g protein. I've been having a few of these as a protein snack for Bodytrim.
    • Re: Peanut butter protein cookies

hi newiegirl
      the cookies sound really good, just had a question, have not done much LC cooking and have been using splenda as sweetner, i noticed that your recipe called for 3/4 cup of hermastas, I don't recall seeing it in the shop do you know where I could get it from,
      I also find that the splenda has quiet an aftertaste, so I have only been using like a third of what the recipe says but not sure if that would change the consistancy with the bikkys
      Anyway i will try them and see how they turn out thanks for posting the recipe.

Mixing sweeteners usually help with aftertaste. I only use splenda when out, I mainly now use a mix of stevia and erythritol. But the erythritol is hard to get and too expensive in Australia and I am not keen on the stevia available in Australia either. There's some other new stevia blends in the supermarkets that might be worth trying as well but might be pricey also.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

stasi wrote:

hi newiegirl
      the cookies sound really good, just had a question, have not done much LC cooking and have been using splenda as sweetner, i noticed that your recipe called for 3/4 cup of hermastas, I don't recall seeing it in the shop do you know where I could get it from,
      I also find that the splenda has quiet an aftertaste, so I have only been using like a third of what the recipe says but not sure if that would change the consistancy with the bikkys
      Anyway i will try them and see how they turn out thanks for posting the recipe.

It was the the first sweetener I tried as it was one of the cheaper ones. I buy it at Coles or Woolies in the sweetener section. It's in a glass jar or you can buy a refill packet.
      It has no aftertaste to me and I have even had it on cereal ok. I should point out that it contains aspartame though. I know some people avoid this chemical. Hope that helps you :)

Those cookies sound yummy, thanks for the recipe! I have been using PureVia, it is quite expensive (can't remember exactly), it has 2.01 g carbs per 2 g sachet, ingredients: 97% sweetners (Erythritol, Isomaltulose, Steviol Glycosides), flavours, Bulking agent (cellulose powder)

...not sure about all those chemicals, does anyone know if any of these are baddies? Tastes fine to me though.

Aussietash: I got my protein powder from coles. It was on special for $16. It's only soy protein, not whey protein though. Whey is more expensive. You could look in a health food shop too.

Dani: Looks like that sweetener contains isomalt. I can't eat that one at all. If I even have one lolly with isomalt in it I end up with stomach cramps for hours. Lucky it's the only sweetener I have problems with :)

Stasi: I'm guessing if you don't use sweetener in a recipe you will get a different flavour and texture. You could probably leave it out of these cookies, they will just taste very peanut buttery!

Hi guys, you can buy pure stevia at any compounding chemist. Its a lot cheaper than whats on the supermarket shelves and because its super concentrated a small container lasts about 6 months depending on usage and costs around $22.00.

Thanks Ellen, I will look out for it! I found another stevia blend from Hermesetas in Woolies yesterday too, could be good for Newiegirl, looks like no isomalt! Its called Stevia Sweet, the ingredients are only Erythritol and Stevia Glycosides. It has the same carbs/g as the PureVia but the sachets are half the size so may encourage to use less? It was $4.50/50 sachets (9c/sachet).

Ellen, thats the Stevia sweetener I use for coffee etc. My query is how can I use the concentrate in recipes and still get a good result?

(question asked a few posts up regards lack of bulk).

I am keen to try some of the recipes around but the cost of the bulked up sweeteners that give a one-to-one with sugar amounts are just a little too high for me to want to experiment.

Thanks Dani :) I discovered that one on the internet a couple days ago. I'm going to give the Stevia a go this weekend.
      Isn't it meant to be a lot sweeter than regular sweeteners though? I'm thinking recipes might have to be taste tested as I add it or else they will end up too sweet. Has anyone else been using Stevia for baking?

The pure stevia is really sweet, but it is just a matter of preference when it comes to recipes. I just start out with a tiny amount and add more according to taste. Just trial and error. Let me know how you go.