Apricot Chicken

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Apricot Chicken

Bron wanted this and it isn't quite low carb in regards to induction. You're probably looking at 15g or so per person (hard to say as I don't know how many carbs in juice that's discarded) and it does contain sugar but its quite good and makes a nice occasional meal when you feel like breaking out a bit. I served this with greens. If I'd known I'd be writing the recipe out I would've taken a photo as it looked quite good as the top had all caramelised :)

I used to make apricot chicken occasionally when I was on Atkins as I found it didn't interfere, I served it with cauliflower mash. I think I used to use the french onion soup mix and this time knowing what crap is in those things I was determined to find a recipe that doesn't and I think I hit jackpot. The only differences I made is I used less curry powder and omitted the pepper for Maya and I had planned to replace the cornflour with sour cream as I used to do this before but when it came out of the oven it was so good as it was I didn't worry about thickening the pan juices, plus probably better not too ;)

Oh also, I chose canned apricots in syrup rather then juice as the ones with juice use apple and pear and I personally didn't want to increase the fructose/glucose ratio too much and I used olive oil and butter. Oh and I forgot to cover mine and reduce the heat but it was perfect anyway, when the top browned I just turned it over and browned the other side. Ok here it is, very simple yet very tasty :)

Apricot Chicken

1.5kg Chicken Drumsticks (skin on)
      825g Tin of Apricots, each half sliced into 3 segments (reserve 1/2 cup of juice/syrup)
      1 red onion, chopped finely
      1/2 -1 Tablespoon Keens Curry powder
      1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
      Olive oil
      Butter

Preheat oven to around 200C (I used 190C as fan forced)

Melt dab of butter in baking dish then add olive oil then coat chicken in the butter oil. Mix curry powder with salt and rub into chicken then place into baking dish. Sprinkle onion over the top of chicken then sprinkle the apricots over. Add the reserved juice over the chicken and wack into oven.

The original recipe says to cover and bake in 200C oven for 90 mins then remove cover and reduce temperature to 170C and bake for 30mins. If you want to thicken the sauce when its done simply stir in sour cream.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Apricot Chicken

You could easily serve it up for yourself with minimal juice and just a few apricot segments and then it should be pretty LC. I am having some cold for lunch now :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.