Recipes for kids

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Recipes for kids

Having just gone back to LC eating and having a 16 month old son (my 1st) running around, I have been researching healthy options for kids meals. I realise kids can't limit the carbs the way we do and I am also worried about them having artificial sweetners (he clambers over me to get at my mini cheescake so I just make him some with a little sugar instead of spenda). So... I was wondering if we could start a thread here (or kids section may be better)? of kid's recipes that are compatible with our way of living but include adequate carbs?

As a kid I clearly recall at the age of 4 or so fainting on the bus with my grandmother after telling her repeatedly I needed to sit down, then fainting at every primary school assembly I can remember. My "healthy" diet at that time: lots of breakfast cereal and toast to start the day "full of energy" NOT! So...while I realise kids need carbs I also feel that cereal and toast may not be great brekkie options for kids (my son is already showing signs of being sluggish after a high carb brekkie). I also am looking at lunch options as I have been packing the same old things for daycare for 10 months now. Dinner is not so bad as he normally just has a smaller version of what we have.

So I am interested what ideas you guys have come up with for options for your kids meals (obviously this comes down to also what they will eat!) as I am running out of ideas and hoping to swap a few recipes. Here are a few of the things that have worked for me thus far:

-----------------------
      Breakfast for babies
      My son refused the rice cereal at 6 months (the few times he did eat it he was sick) so we alternated days having fine baby oats, and yogurt/avocado or yoghurt/banana and scrambled eggs on weekends as he got older. Now he has mostly porridge with banana (he won't take wheat bix) and scrambled eggs on weekends. He is getting a bit bored with the porridge.

-----------------------
      Lunches
      I always send him a tub of home made veges/mince meat mix and a wholegrain sandwich (usually cream cheese spread) and tomato,

This recipe for muffins has also been good:
      Cottage Cheese Muffins with Shallots & Cheddar
      Adapted from 101 Cookbooks
      Yield = 6 to 8

2/3 C. cottage cheese
      ¼ C. grated Parmigiano Reggiano
      ¼ C. whole wheat flour
      2/3 C. almond flour
      1 tsp. baking powder
      ¼ tsp. kosher salt
      4 eggs, beaten
      3 T. water
      ½ C. sharp cheddar
      2 T. sliced shallots, (although I have used spinach or grated zucchini instead, works fine)
      Other ideas: diced ham or bacon; sun-dried tomatoes; herbs: basil, tarragon, chives, thyme, parsley

1. Preheat oven to 400ºF (205ºC).

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine cheeses, flours, baking powder, salt, eggs, and water. Mix until well combined, then fold in the cheddar and scallions.

3. Line a muffin pan with six to eight liners*. Coat lightly with cooking spray. Divide batter between the muffin cups. Bake muffins 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned on top and set. *Alternatively, line ramekins with muffin cups, place on a sheet pan and bake.

-----------------------
      I also heard a lady called Cyndi O'Meara saying she did a home-made hommous based dip mixing in other flavours (like beetroot) with vegi sticks for her kids lunches (my son is just getting enough teeth for vegi sticks so I am going to try this too)
      -----------------------
      Anyway, hope this generates some discussion (am happy if it gets moved to the kids section, was not sure of it's best home) Cheers for now, dani
    • Re: Recipes for kids

This is a great idea.
      I have 2 boys that are older than yours and particularly have difficulty with the middle one (9) wanting extra serves all the time. He is a different build to the older who is tall and skinny (like my Dad) and it is starting to be noticeable on him. He is still within his size but I want to be on top of it. I don't want him to go hungry and it seems mean not to let him have food when he is hungry. I try to make sure it is the protein part of the meal he has more of and not the carbs.

Looking forward to ideas and recipes in this thread.

Theirs a muesli recipe in this section which is a great cereal for kids as it is just nuts, seeds and oats with coconut oil and honey. It's a little bit like the carmens fruit free muesli but much better imo :)

I am having trouble trying to find something Maya can have for her lunches, shes very fussy and like me doesn't eat bread but unfortunately shes not a salad eater yet either (shes fussy with textures)and she can't have nuts at kindy. She does love salmon so I am thinking of making her some sort of salmon rice thing that she can eat cold.

Another that kids like is tuna patties but unfortunately its not a good idea to use canned tuna even weekly due to mercury levels in the tuna. When Maya was on a special diet that restricts addivites as well as natural chemicals in food I found a good alternative was shredded chicken, worked just as good and tasted yum. I would poach the chicken then shred it up and mix up with potato mash just like tuna then lightly coat with corn flour. You could sub the potato with sweet potato and you can also use potato and pumpkin instead of just potato and they freeze well. Maya loves them :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Hi Aspiring, your 9 year old sounds a little I was, always hungry and I used to sneak sugary snacks whenever I could too. I think thats the right idea to make sure he gets enough protein to keep the appetite at bay. I like the wrap idea too, a pasta salad would be good with some fish or meat.

That muesli recipe looks divine Sherrie, how old were your kids before they had nuts? Aron has had peanut butter but was still worried about choking with nuts. Your reply came at the perfect time as I have tried him on tuna plenty of times with no luck but today I offered him one of my tuna muffins and he loved it, I didn't realise about the mercury:eek: Lucky he loves salmon too, maybe I could make the same recipe with tuna substituted for salmon as I was planning on popping one into his lunch occasionally. We have a place here that sells chemical/hormone free chicken and they have a chicken mince so I could try using that or get some breasts to cook up and shred, I will give that a go for some patties, I hadn't tried that yet. I was going to start packing him a pack for lunch with lots of bright colours, mini tomatoes, celery, carrot, cheese cubes, beetroot dip and things too.