Pinned Shirataki Noodles and Rice! (Miracle Noodles)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Shirataki Noodles and Rice!

Yep, it was, and I just used up my last pack of the 10 I bought cooking meals for the freezer (spag bol and madras curry). Had some spag bol tonight, and I can say it was very nice.

Yes, the Ichiba Junction noodles have a fishy smell, but I rinse them well in a colandar, then pour a kettle of boiling water over them and that gets rid of most of the smell. And once you mix it with a sauce, there is no smell at all.

I've bought the same style of noodles as you pictured, Sherrie, but I didn't like how they were made up in little bundles - I actually took the time to cut the "cord" and unravel them.

I'm debating whether to buy the Miracle noodles (or rice - wish you could get a mix pack!), or just get some more from my local Asian supermarket. They didn't have Miracle noodles when I was there, but did say they normally do stock them. Guess I'll see how much they are there compared to the Miracle Noodle site.

I do find them very handy to make dishes that look and taste "normal" meal. :D

GG

I had the same problem of the fishy smell with the miracle noodle, quite revolting when you first open the packet. I do the same and rinse it really well and then put it in boiling water and the smell goes by the time you put sauce on it.

Yes it would be great if they had a mix pack of both noodles and rice. I felt a bit ripped off having to pay for two separate postage charges and then they arrived to me in the one box.

They still have not gotten back to me about the use by date on the packages. I got an email from Jonathon saying I am sure Jill will sort it out and that was it. For such a simple question I feal like I am just getting the run around. Quite dissappointed and as much as I like the noodles it does turn me off a bit from ordering again.

They need to sort it out if they want to sell bulk orders because you can't just say send out 50 packets in one order with only 3 months expiry left, that's a lot of noodles to eat!!! The only customers that could work out for is say when you have a group of family/friends etc that make a big order then split it up between them.

Jonathan if you're still reading, I would be interested in why they have such a short shelf life? what happens to them after 6 months? I am not sure how you word them in the US but is the expiry a "use by" meaning they go off and are no longer edible or is it like a best before where they only stay fresh for so long then go stale but are still edible?
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

^ Yeah I was going to go for a big order like that next time but I won`t be now.

Anyhow I did a little search today and I found a place in Perth that sells them and I gave them a call and they say they have a few packets left. I will be in that suburb tomorow just down the road with hubby getting the tax done so I will go and check it out. I am going to buy just one packet to see if I like them with the texture of the thicker noodle. They work out to be cheaper too compared to what I paid with the ones I bought from Miracle Noodle which worked out to be 4 dollars australian per packet (thats including what I paid for postage) for a 150 gram serve. Anyhow this Japanese supermarket sells them for 2.85 per packet and the packets are 200 grams. I might try them out on Sunday when I make my cheesy bacon and mushroom pasta.

I was looking for these last night... i went into an asian grocer and asked everybody in there if they were japanese (no luck). Probably looked like a right dork! All the white noodles looked the same.

I've got them before at the Spice Mart at Aspley for $2.

I was going to order lots from the Ichiba place, and the postage was more than the noodles lol.

From memory, i had them with peanut sauce. yum bum. they;ll be great in laksa as well. I figure if i want rice, i'll cut it up myself.

i think they have lots of potential as a 'starch' in all sorts of things.

Has anyone tried to dry them?

I don`t know how the Ichiban place works out the postage like that because I just did it to see and it only asked for my postcode and not the state I was in as well but for me also the postage was more than the noodles for 20 noodles my postage was 31.35 so it works out to be the same as miracle noodle in price all up for noodle and postage except the Ichiban ones are 200 gram bags.

I am not sure about me going to the Japanese supermarket on Saturday to get those noodles now. I just found out that they don`t open until 11am and we will be in that area at 9am and its too far away for me to drive back later in the day. Will have to check it out another time.

I finally got a responce from Miracle noodle, have cut and pasted it only as it is easier to explain that way

Akasha,
      The expiration date must December 1, 2010. They will last beyond that date, but we do guarantee the noodles for 6 months should you have any problems. After a period of time the noodles dissolve back into the powder they are made from and then no longer can be eaten.

Regards,
      Jill

Now I am wondering whats with your packet that you have Sherrie, the one you bought from the Japapese supermarket, I wonder why that has not desolved by now.

Still I am not doing a big 50 order as it doesn`t explain why the dates short on mine. Maybe they go stale but still edible after the expiration time, but I don`t like eating stale stuff and that is not what I pay for. It is good to have the guarantee but I will play it safe and maybe just do an order of 20 next time.

20 works out around $2 something US including postage if I remember right so not too bad.

That is interesting about what happens, perhaps in the US they make them differently or this is why the Chinese (and other Asian countries) add seaweed powder? which could be a bad thing if that seaweed they use is polluted which I would certainly expect from China (I avoid buying stuff from China when I can). These are Konnyaku noodles which you find in Japanese supermarkets, I bought in 2006, they come from China and they definitely haven't dissolved but I have no idea what the ingredients are as they aren't in English. But the carbs are listed higher at 18.5g per 100g but that could be fibre incorrectly listed I have no idea.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: did't make sense ().

I am so stoked I found an asian supermarket today that sells them and they are the thin noodle like the angel hair. I can etiher get a 180 gram bag for 1.85 or a 200 gram bag for 1.95. He saids that he can order bulk lots in for me and he saids that he has a couple of aussie customers who order in bulk lots like I want to (must be low carbers like us :D). He saids that he can get them in by the box load for me from his supplier and that there are about 25 per box. I only bought one bag of them today to try them out as I am a bit funny about the fishy smell, I want to see if I like them first and I still have a bit of miracle noodle to use up. The ingredients in these ones look right it saids its prepared vegetable (maufuji shiataki) and the ingredients say that its just yam powder and firming agent and the carbs are 2.3 per 90 grams. It has a longer shelf life too of 9 months.

Good price Akasha, so it looks like they have similar issue? maybe they all have short use-byes? I wonder why mine are still intact?

And I mean in the sense of normal rice and noodles pretty much being something you buy and never really having to think of the useby date.

I ended up going to my local asian grocer yesterday and bought another 8 packs of the first ones I bought there - that are tied in little bundles like the pack Sherrie posted. They had another brand that has to be kept refrigerated, but they were over $4 compared to the $2.80 I paid for the ones I got. They also had another brand the shop owner raved about, and said that are very popular with her asian customers, and they were only $1.80 each, but were 50cals and 16g carbs per serve, compared to 6cals and 3g carbs for the ones I got, so I gave them a miss. The use by for the ones I got are May 2011.

GG

Nobody near me sells these. i don't want to buy off the site cause I just want to try a packet first before having to buy 10 packs. Plus with postage it works out to be $4.50 a pack which is quite expensive.

I have been googling and calling any asian/japanese supermarkets that show up in the brisbane area but no one has heard of them :(
      [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Weight loss since starting Body Trim on 19th July[/COLOR][/FONT]

[Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wkHEWbW/weight.png]

Ask them if they sell konnyaku or shirataki noodles. You won't find the miracle noodle brand or the rice in these places as they are from America.