A serious question :confused:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• A serious question :confused:

Hi All

I'm not sure if it's the right place to ask this question but I have a mathematical problem with net carb calculation I have no idea how to solve!

Here's the problem:
      I am in late stage of OWL and am little by little adding tortilla flat bread to my meal. As an illustration, I have tortilla bread (17.8 gram carb, 3.5 gram fiber), cheddar cheese, and some herbs as lunch. I make Margarita pizza this way. A bit later, as dessert, I have a chocolate bar (3.3gr carbohydrate, 10gr fiber, 9 gr Erythritol) and a cup of tea. The question is, how much net carb is there in this meal?

I know that net carb can be calculated by the simple formula carbohydrate- fiber- sugar alcohols. Yet, putting it this way it would be somehow too good to be true that I just have consumed -1.4 net carb!:confused:

Is there anybody who can help me with this problem?

I'd be grateful!

Cheers
    • Re: A serious question :confused:

You don't subtract fibre from Australian products as our food standards have done that for us, we're not as slow as the Americans ;) :p
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Thanks for the reply Sherrie

But I reckon I have some trouble understanding what you mean! Does it mean that the carbohydrate on the label is actually the net carb? I personally don't see any difference between Aussi labels and Americans'. Can you just explain a bit more??

Sorry to waste your time but I seriously am in trouble!

Cheers

Yes, if it is an Australian product the total carbohydrate count does not include the Fibre as our food standards list fibre separate to carbohydrates on the label. For example, if you look at an Australian label and say they show the total fat and then they show the breakdown into the different fats by indenting them directly underneath the total fat. Well the same goes for Carbohydrates, they will have the total carbohydrate count and then they will indent, sugar, lactose etc but not fibre. Instead fibre is listed separately.

For example, here's an American label:

[Blocked Image: http://quitehealthy.com/nutrition-facts/food-labels/label173081.gif]

Under total carbohydrates the fibre is indented underneath the same way sugar is, this tells us that the fibre is included in the carbohydrate count.

However, on an Australian label the fibre will be separate like the protein is, which tells us the fibre is separate to the carbohydrate count. Here is an Australian label, notice how the fibre is seperate and not indented underneath total carbohydrates:

[Blocked Image: http://www.chemcentre.wa.gov.au/images/nutrition-labelling.jpg]

For when you don't have a food label, I recommend using the Australian & NZ Food Standards database found here: NUTTAB 2006

Because the databse is Australian then you will not have to deduct fibre from the carb count as it is already done.

Hope that makes sense :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

To make things even more confusing for you ;) our food standards measure the nutrients in food differently to the US. The US use the difference method so they include all sorts of rubbish as carbohydrates like ash etc. Our foodstandards measure the actual carbohydrates so ours is actually more accurate, here's a really good example of the difference between the two and how inaccurate the US is, we will use 100g broccoli:

USDA
      total carb: 6.64g
      fibre: 2.6g

So the net carb would be 4.04g for 100g of broccoli

However in Australia we have:

FSANZ (nuttab2006)
      total carb: 0.4g

That's a difference of 4g!!!

And that's it, no deductions necessary. As an aside, ours also measure fibre higher at 3.6 so the other 3.04g would be ash etc

So to summarise, when you can, stick to your product labels and the NUTTAB2006 database and leave American sources as a last resort.

Warning in case you use calorie king (the Australian one), whilst their product database is mostly accurate their fresh food database (e.g. all unlabeled foods) use the USDA database as calorie king is an American company.