trouble with fasting bs

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• trouble with fasting bs

Can someone please help me control my fasting bs levels. Up until about 3 months ago my fasting bs was always controlled by exercise and meds, then i had my 3 months test just 2 weeks ago and my result was 7.8% which is considered high. My dr put me onto another diabex tab, now taking 1500mg a day. My fasting bs are still between 7-8, before lunch 6.2-6.7 and before dinner can come down to 5.9 -6.0. I walk 5 days a week, play tennis one day a week am still 4kgs overweight but working on that, so what am I doing wrong. I try to eat healthly and don't eat biscuits or cakes etc. I would appreciate a reply. Thanks
    • Re: trouble with fasting bs

Hi lindylou

I take it you are a type 2? Im a type 1 ( have been for just about 20 years) if you were a type 1 i would say increase ur longer acting insulin but since ur not on that i cant say that. But looking at ur levels they look pretty good to me, i wish my morning ones were like that half the time they arent, but seriously ur levels are pretty pretty good, i wouldnt be worried about them, if your levels are reading like that all the time then your HBA1c shouldnt be coming back at 7.8, for someones to come back at 7.8 their levels would be all over the place with lots and lots of highs and lows, have you talked to your doctor about it?

My fasting bs use to be in the 5's so I hadn't been taking my bs level for about 2 or 3 months, when I took it about 4 weeks ago it was between 9.0 to 10.0 thats when the dr gave me an extra diabex, since then the fasting bs has been down in the 7's. So maybe over the past few months it has been high but I haven't been testing it, hopefully with this extra med it will eventually come back down into the 5's. I don't know how long before the extra med takes affect. BTW it is type 2.

Hi lindylou

Do you have anything to eat before going to bed at night? I know that if i do like have anything after my dinner my levels will be higher of a morning. And i know that if i have cheese it raises my levels. Are you on a low carb diet? I take it that you probablly are, but seriously those levels are really good even a person who hasnt got diabetes can have a level of 7

I usually have my dinner at 7 - 7.30pm every night and don't eat before going to bed which is usually 10 - 10.30pm. I guess whats is worrying me is that my fasting bs during the past 6 years has always been in the 5's and I would like them to be back there. Thanks for your reply.

Stick to a LC diet, and give it time.
      My Fasting BSL's came down to under 6 after about 12 months.
      Good Luck

Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.

Lindylu you don't actually say what you are eating - are you following Low Carb? I'm type 2 also and have been LC for quite a while now. The only time my levels go high is if I have eaten something I shouldn't.

[Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wBNvBCc/weight.png]

"The most important person to be honest with is yourself"

Not sure of what to eat on a low carb diet, I try and eat healthy and exercise by walking every day and playing tennis once a week. I very rarely eat any carbs at night but do have cereal for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch so I suppose that is carbs. I eat plenty of fruit and usually have a salad with my main meal. My weight has dropped by 4kgs over the past month or so and my bs levels are starting to get back to normal. I know I do need some carbs and eat seeded bread and high fibre cereal, I don't eat cake or biscuits or white bread. Thank you for your reply.

Maybe you should get a hold of a copy of DANDR (Atkins Diet) or find the info here. That is quite a lot of carbs to be eating - you are having a reasonablt high carb breakfast, lunch and snacks. You'd find your BSL will drop dramatically when you cut those carbs out :)

[Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wBNvBCc/weight.png]

"The most important person to be honest with is yourself"

Shez wrote:

Maybe you should get a hold of a copy of DANDR (Atkins Diet) or find the info here. That is quite a lot of carbs to be eating - you are having a reasonablt high carb breakfast, lunch and snacks. You'd find your BSL will drop dramatically when you cut those carbs out :)

Hi, don't know if you can help me. I have been eating low carb for 8 months and in November went for routine blood tests and was shocked to see I was insulin resistant. This after I have taken sugar, white flour and potatoes out of my diet. My first fasting blood was 6 and then with the 2 hour glucose it was 11. I've since got a handheld machine and recently have been checking it daily, trying to work out how to bring it down. In this 8 months, I haven't lost any weight, in fact since last week, have put on two kilos. That's how I go, up and down between 76 and 78 kgs, even though I am basically eating the same every day. Have been through the 20 carb two weeks, no fruit, still lost nothing. The only fruit I eat are blueberries and not every day. I noticed in one of your comments you mentioned cheese raising your bs. Mine is different every day, usually 6.2 or 6.4 sometimes higher, sometimes lower. I am at a loss how to bring it down or why my body won't lose weight when logic says if I have radically changed my diet, and I'm very strict, my body won't shed weight. I walk 4 klms a day usually, dependant on high heat at the moment if its a particularly hotter day I don't, but whether I walk or not, makes no difference to weight or bs. I've noticed in my life, I'm 57 now, that unless I am working out really really hard, my body won't lose weight. Just walking won't do it. I have tendonitus plaguing me for the last 18 months, so there goes my jogging. Sherrie mentioned my thyroid but its hard to break past your doctor when all your results come back "normal" I'm looking into it, but I'm seriously considering eating nothing but protein to see what happens but have to say at 57, don't want to get too radical. I've just had a protein drink this morning and wondering if this is where I have to "live", that basically I need to just take a drink twice a day because my body still seems to think I'm eating too much. My friend who started a couple of months before me doesn't exercise and has lost 5 kg and is nowhere as strict as me when it comes to eating. I've been to three buffet lunches this year, and don't even go to the sweets table and eat mostly the protein with some salad. I feeeeeeeeeeeeel so frustrated, my doctor laughs at me because he thinks I just want to lose weight, which I do, I don't like all this fat around my stomach, but I've lost my fitness with this tendonitus and at my age now feel overwhelmed with the fact that my only hope is to get myself back to 2 hours of exericse a day, which would be in comparison a 6 kilometre run plus an hour weights, which is what I did easily at 50, but can't do that now with my foot and as I get older don't want to feel I've got this pressure on me. As my blood sugar is not responding to my lc eating either, I'm wondering how I can bring it down, and basically, can I expect it to get worse if I'm not having any affect. I have been post menopausal 14 years and don't have a gallbladder. I rang Dr Sandra Cabots office in Sydney for advice and the lady told me I shouldn't have had a sugar test while I was low carb but only after three days of eating high carb. !!!! I don't know. Anyway, is it wait and sit it out and possibly my body might suddenly change when it sees I'm not going to be feeding it high carbs and sugar any more or what can you suggest. I'm actually feeling quite overwhelmed and frustrated because I just don't know how much better I can eat and I'm not even getting rewarded with even a glimmer of weight or bs, and worse than that, for some reason like now, my weight goes up. I could understand if I raced out and sat and ate kentucky fried or something but I didn't even eat cake on my birthday this month. Any help????????????