Chicken Curry

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Chicken Curry

This my chicken curry recipe I will try my best with measurements....I don't measure just judge.

So here goes.

1 whole chicken cut into pieces and washed well (leave skin on) adding the bones adds more flavour to curry so don't throw out.
      1-2 large onion finely chopped
      4 garlic pieces crushed
      1 tblspn of finely minced or grated ginger.
      1 small red chill (the hot kind) optional chopped finely(wash hands well after)
      1 can of tomatoe or 4 toms finely chopped.
      1 bunch of coriander
      4 cardamon pods.
      1 tspn of cumin seed
      1 tspn of mustard seed.
      2 tspns of curry powder
      1/2 - 1tspn of chilli powder (depends on how hot you want it..add more for a hotness)
      1 tspn of cumin powder
      1 tspn of coriander powder
      salt and pepper to taste.
      Ghee (clarified butter) or olive oil.

Method

Cut chicken into pieces and wash well....leave in a drainer till you prepare other ingredients.
      Dice onions, mince the ginger and garlic, cut the chilli finely.
      Wash fresh coriander and set in a drainer too.
      place all your powdered spices in a bowl in seperate piles or in seperate small dishes....eg curry, chill, cumin and coriander (powders).

Prepare a heavy based pot and add 2 tblspoons of either ghee or oil warm then add cumin seed and stir (don't let it burn) you will smell the aroma off it add mustard seed and cardamon pods and stir for a minute. Reduce heat or remove from heat and add onion, garlic, ginger and chilli fry until onion is golden in colour and softened.

Now add all your powder ingredients and stir very well make sure it doesn't stick or burn add more oil or some of the tomatoes. Once combined should only take 1-2 minute on a medium heat. I also add my salt and pepper now as well.

Now add your chicken pieces and stir well to coat all pieces...let it fry on a high heat for 5 minutes stiring all the time and then add tomatoes and stir through again well....then reduce heat and cover with a lid and cook on a medium heat.

Check frequently it should take 20 minutes to cook through properely....when the sauce has thicken then you can add your chopped fresh coriander over dish and then serve with some LC veg. It's normally rice:rolleyes:......

You can also added cubed potatoes (usually after you add chicken peices to mixture or frozen peas added after tomatoes have been in pot for 10minutes or so.

Remember to keep tasting as you go to test for salt and spicyness.

Hope this turns out ok for you all.

Sam;)