Spicy Asian Eggplant

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Spicy Asian Eggplant

Ingredients
      450gm eggplants (aubergines), cubed
      2t salt (to sprinkle on eggplants, not to go in recipe)
      3T olive oil
      2 cloves garlic, crushed
      3cm piece crushed ginger (or 1 1/2t bottled minced if you don't have fresh)
      1 small onion, halved and sliced
      1 fresh red chilli, sliced
      2T dark soy
      1T hoi-sin sauce
      ½t chilli sauce
      1T Splenda
      1T wine or white vinegar
      1t ground szechuan pepper (I used freshly cracked black ones if I don't have szechuan)
      300 ml vegetable stock
      Method
      Sprinkle salt on eggplant cubes and leave for 30 mins (I don't usually bother with this step as eggplants don't seem to be bitter these days), rinse off and dry pieces.
      Heat oil and add garlic, ginger, onion and fresh chilli.
      Stir fry for 30 seconds
      Add eggplants and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes
      Add all remaining ingredients, reduce heat and simmer 10 mins, or until eggplant is cooked
      Increase the heat to high and boil, cook until sauce has thickened
      Serve with plain cauli rice

Comment: You are looking at around 15 carbs nett for this entire dish. Most of the carbs are in the onion (this is based on a 70gm onion) and the hoi-sin, but both are fairly critical to the authentic taste. You'll get 3-4 servings out of this as a side dish and it keeps well in the fridge.