Some recipes from THE HARCOMBE DIET

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Some recipes from THE HARCOMBE DIET

Have just put up a Harcombe recipe for Bron in my diary from THE HARCOMBE DIET , so thought I might place it here for others to enjoy as well :)

BUTTERNUT PUMPKIN CURRY - FROM THE HARCOMBE DIET BOOK

2 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL
      3 ONIONS, FINELY CHOPPED
      4 CLOVES GARLIC CRUSHED
      2 TEASPOONS EACH OF TURMERIC, CUMIN, PAPRIKA, CORIANDER, CHILLI POWDER , CURRY POWDER (MEDIUM OR HOT DEPENDING ON YOUR PREFERENCE)
      2 X 400 G TINS CHOPPED TOMATOES
      500 ML VEGETABLE STOCK
      100 ML COCONUT CREAM
      1 KG MIXED VEGETABLES (CAULIFLOWER , ZUCCHINI, BROCCOLI, CARROTS ETC) CHOPPED INTO 2CM CUBES
      1 BUTTERNUT PUMPKIN, PEELED, DESEEDED AND CUT INTO 2 CM CUBES

HEAT THE OLIVE OIL IN A LARGE SAUCEPAN, THEN GENTLY FRY THE ONIONS AND GARLIC UNTIL SOFT.

ADD THE SPICES AND GENTLY FRY FOR 1-2 MINS.

ADD THE TOMATOES AND VEGETABLE STOCK AND BRING TO THE BOIL. SIMMER FOR 5 MINUTES, THEN REMOVE SAUCEPAN FROM THE HEAT AND ALLOW THE MIXTURE TO COOL SLIGHTLY.

USING A HAND BLENDER, BLEND THE MIXTURE UNTIL SMOOTH.

RETURN THE MIXTURE TO THE HEAT AND STIR IN THE COCONUT CREAM.

ADD AL THE VEGETABLES, PLACE THE LID ON AND SIMMER GENTLY UNTIL THE VEGETABLES ARE COOKED THROUGH (APPROXIMATELY 30 MINS).

DAISY

Small steps to a healthy lifestyle....here we go
    • Re: Some recipes from THE HARCOMBE DIET

Salad Nicoise
      You will need:
      * ½ iceberg lettuce,
      * 6 cherry tomatoes,
      * 2 inches of cucumber,
      * 1 cup green beans,
      * 1 egg,
      * Char-grilled tuna steak or tinned tuna,
      * French salad dressing,
      * Salt & Pepper to taste,

What you do with all this:
      * Chop the green beans into lengths of around an inch long. Cook them in boiling water until they are as soft or as crunchy as you like them.
      * Hard boil an egg (you can do this in the same pan as the green beans).
      * Chop the lettuce up quite finely and cover the plate with it.
      * Slice the cherry tomatoes in two and place them around the edge of the plate.
      * Dice the cucumber and sprinkle this over the lettuce, add the cooked green beans when they have cooled.
      * Quarter the hard boiled egg and arrange it nicely around the plate.
      * Add French dressing to taste (see the extras recipe section).
      * Place the char-grilled tuna steak (cook raw tuna on the BBQ or on a skillet or just place it under a normal grill) or the tinned tuna in the middle of the plate.

TIP 1 - Salmon niçoise is becoming popular as an alternative to tuna. Just use a salmon steak or tinned salmon instead of tuna.

5 Minute Tomato Sauce
      This is such a fantastic versatile sauce. It goes with pasta, spaghetti, quorn, vegetables and tofu or just about anything else you can think of.
      You will need:
      * 1 large onion,
      * 1 clove garlic,
      * A 400g tin chopped tomatoes (check only tomatoes and citric acid are in the ingredients),
      * 2 teaspoons of basil (ideally fresh),
      * Salt & Pepper,
      * Olive oil for cooking,

What you do with all this:
      * Chop the garlic and onions finely.
      * Heat a wok up until the olive oil is sizzling.
      * Stir-fry the onion and garlic until slightly brown and then add the chopped tomatoes.
      * Add the basil, salt & pepper and leave the sauce to simmer until some pasta is cooked (10-15 minutes).

TIP 1 this freezes well so make a big batch and put it into small tubs in the freezer to have quick pasta whenever you like.
      TIP 2 if wheat is a problem for you, you can get rice pasta and corn pasta from health food shops, which looks and tastes just like wheat but without the side effects.
      TIP 3 to make this a hot and spicy pasta sauce just buy some spicy olive oil and use this for cooking instead.

MIDDLE EASTERN SPICED CHICKEN

ingredients:

2 teas turmeric
      1 teas ground cumin
      1 teas smoked paprika
      1 teas ground coriander
      1/2 teas cardamom seeds
      1/2 teas ground cinnamon
      1/2 teas ground all spice
      1/2 teas ground cloves
      salt & pepper
      100 gm butter , softened
      a medium sized whole chicken

method :

1- preheat oven to 350 F , 175 C , gas mark 4
      2- combine all the spices together.
      3- mix the spices into the butter.
      4- spread the mixture over the chicken and put into the oven.
      5- cook for 60-90 mins.
      6- keep spooning the butter mixture juices over the chicken during the cooking process.

tip 1 - if you are feeling adventurous , take whole spices such as cumin seeds, cardamom seeds, coriander seeds, and cloves; and toast them in a frying pan and then crush them in a pestle and mortar to make them into a powder . This makes the flavours even fresher and richer.

tip 2 - Add freshly peeled ginger to the pestle and mortar.

tip 3 - Stick a lemon , or a lime , into the cavity of the chicken with bay leaves, and few sprigs of thyme for extra flavour.

This meal is a :

PHASE 2 meal
      Fat meal
      DAISY

Hi daisy ........Is this recipe for one meal or to go one other food items ...it sound yummo:D:D

Daisy wrote:

Have just put up a recipe for Bron in my diary from THE HARCOMBE DIET , so thought I might place it here for others to enjoy as well :)

BUTTERNUT PUMPKIN CURRY - FROM THE HARCOMBE DIET BOOK

2 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL
      3 ONIONS, FINELY CHOPPED
      4 CLOVES GARLIC CRUSHED
      2 TEASPOONS EACH OF TURMERIC, CUMIN, PAPRIKA, CORIANDER, CHILLI POWDER , CURRY POWDER (MEDIUM OR HOT DEPENDING ON YOUR PREFERENCE)
      2 X 400 G TINS CHOPPED TOMATOES
      500 ML VEGETABLE STOCK
      100 ML COCONUT CREAM
      1 KG MIXED VEGETABLES (CAULIFLOWER , ZUCCHINI, BROCCOLI, CARROTS ETC) CHOPPED INTO 2CM CUBES
      1 BUTTERNUT PUMPKIN, PEELED, DESEEDED AND CUT INTO 2 CM CUBES

HEAT THE OLIVE OIL IN A LARGE SAUCEPAN, THEN GENTLY FRY THE ONIONS AND GARLIC UNTIL SOFT.

ADD THE SPICES AND GENTLY FRY FOR 1-2 MINS.

ADD THE TOMATOES AND VEGETABLE STOCK AND BRING TO THE BOIL. SIMMER FOR 5 MINUTES, THEN REMOVE SAUCEPAN FROM THE HEAT AND ALLOW THE MIXTURE TO COOL SLIGHTLY.

USING A HAND BLENDER, BLEND THE MIXTURE UNTIL SMOOTH.

RETURN THE MIXTURE TO THE HEAT AND STIR IN THE COCONUT CREAM.

ADD AL THE VEGETABLES, PLACE THE LID ON AND SIMMER GENTLY UNTIL THE VEGETABLES ARE COOKED THROUGH (APPROXIMATELY 30 MINS).

nikkidoda wrote:

Hi daisy ........Is this recipe for one meal or to go one other food items ...it sound yummo:D:D

Nikki this is a meal you can have either on its own or with meat etc . It is a great phase 1 meal but I love it so much I am still eating it into phase 2 . In phase 1 I ccoked meat and laid it on the top of the curry ......so nice and so delish :) I pureed mine so it was like a thick soup . I had it today for lunch on its own as it is really satisfying .
      DAISY

From the recipe book - page 274

HONEY SCALLOP & CHILLI STIR-FRY

This takes approximately 3 mins to cook - fantastic fast food. It is great served on a bed of bambo shoots, water chestnuts and other oriental vegetables. There is a tablespoon of honey, which is strictly a refined food (as the honeycomb that the bee eat is the unrefined item) but, as each serving gets just 1/4 tbl of honey, this won't make any difference to your weight loss.

Ingredients:

3 teaspoons olive oil
      1 onion, chopped
      2 red peppers. deseeded and chopped
      1 stick celery
      100g snow peas
      200g scallops
      1 tablespoon honey
      1 teaspoon chilli sauce
      2 teaspoons fresh mint

METHOD

1) Heat the oil in a large saucepan.

2) Add the vegetables to the pan and stir-fry over a high heat for approximately 1 minute.

3) Add the scallops, honey, chilli sauce and mint to the pan. Fry for approximately 2 minutes, or until the scallops are tender.

TIP

Leave out the honey and this can be suitable for phase1 and Candida.

Serves 4

Suitable for - PHASE 1 & 2 - FAT meal

Hope you enjoy this one , sounds lovely :)

Please excuse any spelling mistakes , my typing is very slow and often inaccurate :o
      DAISY

sam68 wrote:

Thanks Daisy these recipes look really yummy especially the Middle Eastern Chicken dish.
      Have you made it?

Might try this tomorrow.

Thanks - Sam:)

Sam we were supposed to have it tonight , but I toasted the spices and crushed them and hubby really was put off by the cloves and cinnamon smell . So we just had roast chicken instead , didn;t want to waste the free range chicken that I managed to get on special ;) . I am going to put this on chicken thighs tomorrow and try it out myself, so I will let you know how it tasted .
      DAISY

MILD KORMA CURRY - SUITABLE FOR PHASE 1 & 2 :)

2 Tbls olive oil

1 red onion, coarsely chopped

2 carrots, peeled and thickly sliced

1 cauliflower, broken into florets

1 green chilli , deseeded and chopped

2 cloves of garlic , crushed

1 tbls ginger , grated

1 tbls ground cumin

1/4 teas. ground coriander

1 teas. garam masala

1 teas. salt

150ml vegetable stock

100 g frozen or fresh peas

6 tbls Natural Live Yoghurt

METHOD:

1) Heat the oil in a frying pan over a moderate heat and cook the onion until soft.

2) Add the carrots, cauliflower, chilli, garlic, ginger, spices and salt and cook for a further 3 mins.

3) Pour into the stock, cook and cover for 5-19 mins, until almost tender.

4) Add the peas and cook for a further couple of mins until the vegetables are all tender.

5) Take the pan off the heat and stir in the yoghurt until the sauce has thickened.

Serve with brown rice , or basmati rice, or eat as and indian dish on its own.

TIP 1 - Use any natural yoghurt for phase 1 , low or high fat, as we don't worry about mixing for the first five days.

TIP 2 - Eat with meat for a fat meal or with vegetables for a carb meal.
      DAISY

Daisy wrote:

Sam we were supposed to have it tonight , but I toasted the spices and crushed them and hubby really was put off by the cloves and cinnamon smell . So we just had roast chicken instead , didn;t want to waste the free range chicken that I managed to get on special ;) . I am going to put this on chicken thighs tomorrow and try it out myself, so I will let you know how it tasted .

Hi Daisy:)

What a shame...these are spices used in curries I and use them all the time!!

They can be strong in taste too but once grinded it all gets disguised with all the other lovely ingredients.

Yes I look forward to how it turns out for you too...

Do you recommend getting the recipe Book Daisy?

Thanks for adding these recipes.

Sam:)

The post was edited 1 time, last by sam68: spelling ().

sam68 wrote:

Do you recommend getting the recipe Book Daisy?

Thanks for adding these recipes.

:) Your welcome Sam .

Well I think for the price it is definately worth it (I paid $18.95 INC post from Borders.com) . It just gives you more variety of foods to try . See if you can track it down in the shops and have a browse . Might be hard though as Dymocks told me it will not be in Australia until next year ????? Seems strange , might be just them perhaps .
      DAISY

Hi Sam,
      This is my all time fave recipe for mayo plus a few extra tips but is is just a "normal' recipe not from the Harcome book,

IMayonaise: makes 200ml

• 2 egg yolks, at room temperature
      • 2-3 tsp fresh lemon juice
      • Pinch of salt
      • 100ml olive oil
      • 100ml vegetable oil
      • Freshly ground white pepper

1. Method 1 (hand mixing)

2. Place the egg yolks, 2 tsp of the lemon juice and a pinch of salt in a large glass or ceramic bowl (lemon juice may react with a metal bowl, giving the mayonnaise a slightly bitter flavour). Place the bowl on a damp cloth to stop it from moving while you are whisking. Use a balloon whisk to combine mixture until it begins to thicken.
      3. Pour the olive and vegetable oil into a measuring jug. Pour a few drops of the oil into the egg-yolk mixture and whisk until well combined. Continue adding oil in one of two ways: either pour it in a thin steady stream down the side of the bowl, whisking constantly (this is easier if there is someone helping you), or add 1 tbs of oil at a time, whisking well between each addition. It is important to whisk the oil in gradually. If it is added too quickly, you may have problems incorporating (emulsifying) the oil and the mayonnaise could separate or curdle.
      4. Once all the oil has been incorporated, taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning with extra lemon juice, salt and pepper if desired. Transfer to a small airtight container. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the mayonnaise (to prevent a skin from forming) and cover with a lid. Place in the fridge and use as required.

5. Method 2 (food processor)

6. Place the egg yolks, 2 tsp of the lemon juice and a pinch of salt in the bowl of a food processor or blender and process until the mixture just begins to thicken.
      7. Pour the olive and vegetable oil into a measuring jug. With the motor running, gradually add oil to egg-yolk mixture in a thin steady stream, occasionally stopping to scrape down the side of the bowl or blender with a spatula, until the mixture is thick, creamy and pale. You need to add the oil slowly, but not too slowly as the mixture could thicken too quickly (if this happens, add a little hot water, about 2 tsp, to thin down the mayonnaise before adding the remaining oil).
      8. Taste the mayonnaise and adjust the seasoning with extra lemon juice, salt and pepper if desired. Transfer to a small airtight container. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the mayonnaise (to prevent a skin forming) and cover with a lid. Place in the fridge and use as required.

• This mayonnaise will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. You can substitute any type of vinegar (such as white wine or balsamic) for the lemon juice. Balsamic vinegar goes well with beef or lamb and tomato dishes.
      • Note: Mayonnaise made using a food processor will be a lighter colour and texture compared to hand mixing.

• Mustard & tarragon variation: Add 1 tbs Dijon mustard and 2 tbs chopped fresh tarragon at step 3.
      • Tartare sauce variation: Add 1 tbs chopped drained pickles, 3 tsp chopped drained capers, 1 chopped green shallot and 3 tsp chopped fresh continental parsley at the end of step 3.
      • Seafood sauce variation: Add 80ml (1/3 cup) tomato sauce, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce and a dash of red Tabasco sauce at the end of step 3.
      • Caesar dressing variation: Add 5-6 finely chopped anchovy fillets and 1 crushed garlic clove at step 1. Add an extra 3 tsp lemon juice at step 3. Gradually whisk in 60ml (1/4 cup) hot water (if using method 2, add with the motor running). Stir in 2-3 tbs finely grated parmesan.

J:)

Daisy wrote:

:) Your welcome Sam .

Well I think for the price it is definately worth it (I paid $18.95 INC post from Borders.com) . It just gives you more variety of foods to try . See if you can track it down in the shops and have a browse . Might be hard though as Dymocks told me it will not be in Australia until next year ????? Seems strange , might be just them perhaps .

Hi Daisy

Sorry I missed this.

Yes I know the book is not in Australia yet...I checked with my local book store. When i get back from holidays I might order it from amazon they have quick delivery and have bought from them a few times.
      Maybe with all the Target sales though it maybe fasttracked to us:p....I hope!

Lots of yum recipes, there seems to be in there.

Creamy Fish in Sherry Sauce
      You can use any chunky white fish for this dish eg, cod,haddock monkfish, halibut. You can use Salmon but don't venture any further into the oily fish category or the fish flavour will compete with the rest of the dish

INGREDIENTS

4 x 150g fish fillets
      salt & pepper
      2 leeks, thinly sliced
      2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
      2 carrots, peeled & thinly sliced
      150 ml fish stock
      100 ml sherry on madeira
      150 ml single cream
      25 g butter ( optional )
      fresh parsley to garnish

Season fish and place in non stick pan on low heat
      Pile leeks, celery, carrots on top, add fish stock and sherry
      Bring to boil, reduce heat & simmer for 10 minutes
      Scoop out vegies and place on serving plate then scoop out fish and place on top
      Keep warm under a low grill or in oven
      Bring liquid in pan to the boil and reduce by half
      Add cream and simmer for about 2 mins stirring all the time until sauce thickens
      Add butter for extra taste if desired
      pour sauce over fish & veg & serve

Serves 4
      Fat Meal

Roasted Stuffed Peppers

INGREDIENTS
      4 red or yellow peppers, halved, deseeded but with stalks intact
      8 cherry toms skinned (?)
      8 anchovy fillets (optional)
      4 to 8 green olives halved & pitted
      2 artichoke hearts quartered
      Sprinkling of herbs eg basil, thyme etc
      2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
      fresh ground pepper
      4 tbs olive oil
      100 g grated Mozzarella divided into 4 or grated parmesan

Method
      Pre heat oven to 375F, 190C, gas mark 5
      Smear peppers with oil
      fill each pepper with 2 small tomatoes, 2 anchovy fillets, 1-2 olives,& 2 quarters of artichoke heart
      Sprinkle with herbs & garlic
      Spoon olive oil over everything
      Add cheese on top
      Bake in the oven for approx 40 minutes
      Serves 4
      Fat Meal phase 2

Daisy wrote:

Sam it was LOVELY , I actually had it on pork ribs .......devine . It would definately taste great on chicken also .

JAM thankyou so very much for putting up all those recipes , I know just how long that takes . I also know though how much it helps pthers who don't have the book , so thank you again :)
      DAISY

Coq au Vin

Ingredients

75 g butter
      100 g bacon
      4-6 portions chicken ( legs, thighs, breast, whatever you want )
      2 cloves garlic crushed
      200 g button mushrooms
      12 shallots
      2 tbs mixed herbs
      salt & pepper
      240ml chicken stock
      240ml red wine
      60ml brandy ( optional )
      120ml double cream ( optional )
      fresh parsley

Method
      Prehaeat oven to 350F, 175 C or gas mark 4
      Melt butter and pork fat ( I guess this is the bacon 0 in a large frying pan
      add chicken and cook until brown
      Add garlic, mushrooms, shallots and mixed herbs and seasoning and fry in the juices taking care not to break up the chicken
      Add the stock and red wine and brandy while the mixture is simmering
      Place everything in a casserole dish in oven for 60-90 minutes
      Add cream to thicken just before serving

Serve with parsley on top and a selection of vegetables for a fat meal....phase 2

The post was edited 2 times, last by Jamacu: OOPS Spelling again! ().