Some recipes from THE HARCOMBE DIET

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Some recipes from THE HARCOMBE DIET

CHILLI CON CARNE

2 tbls olive oil

400 g minced beef

1 red onion, finely chopped

1 onion, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, crushed

3 carrots, peeled & chopped

1 red & 1 green pepper, deseeded, stalk discarded & finely chopped

50 g mushroom

400 g tin kidney beans, drained & rinsed

400 g tin chopped tomatoes

75 g tomato puree

2 teas mixed herbs

2 teas chilli powder

250 ml beef or vegetable stock

METHOD:

1) Brown the meat in a large frying pan, over a moderate heat.

2) Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft.

3) Add the chopped carrots, peppers, mushrooms and cook for approximately 3-4 mins.

4) Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs, chilli powder and stock.

5) Continue to simmer until the carrots are tender, which will be approximately 20 -25 mins.

TIP 1 - add a teas each of ground cumin and coriander and a pinch of ground cinnamon, for a really authentic chilli taste. Garnish with a small bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped .

TIP 2- Substitute peppers for the mushrooms, or just leave out the mushrooms, for this dish to be suitable for candida.

SERVES 4
      PHASE 2
      FAT meal
      DAISY

Small steps to a healthy lifestyle....here we go

CREAM AND MUSTARD PORK

30 g butter

600 g pork, diced

225 g button mushrooms

8 tbls dry white wine

240 ml double cream

4 teas grainy mustard

Salt & ground black pepper

METHOD:

1) Heat the butter gently in a large frying pan and add the pork and fry until it is brown ( approximately 5 mins).

2) Add the mushrooms and fry them until golden brown (push the pork pieces to the outer edge of the pan and let the mushrooms cook in the centre).

3) Add the white wine , cream and mustard. Bring to the boil stirring continuosly . Reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 mins.

4) Season to taste and serve.

TIP 1 : The mushrooms make it unsuitable for Candida.

SERVES 4
      PHASE 2
      FAT meal
      DAISY

Just wondering if anyone has any requests for recipes , it is hard to know what people want to cook . So just let me know what kinds of meat , vegies etc and I will look for a recipe from the book to put up .

Hope all the fellow 'harcombes' are doing well and having a fun weekend :)
      DAISY

PUMPKIN RICE LAKSA SOUP[B][/B]

This is a wonderful recipe I found last year on Jamie Oliver's website.
      I thought that instead of using the basmati rice that is suggested, you could make the soup and pour over your allowance of brown rice for the day.

I like traditional curry, but I love Thai curry and this would make a great alternative to the Harcombe butternut pumpkin curry.

600g butternut pumpkin

a small handful of lime leaves

2-3 chillies deseeded and finely sliced

2 cloves of garlice peeled and finely sliced (I use crushed)

2 thumb sized pieces of ginger, peeled and sliced

3 sticks of lemongrass outer leaves removed

a large handful of fresh coriander leaves, stalks chopped

1 heaped teaspoon five spice

1 teaspoon ground cumin

olive oil

1 white onion peeled and finely sliced

565ml chicken stock or vegetable stock

200 g basmati rice (brown rice if doing Harcombe diet)

2 x 400 ml tins of coconut milk or cream

sea salt and freshly ground pepper

juice of 1 or 2 limes

optional 1 fresh red chilli sliced

Chop the pumpkin flesh into 2 inch pieces.
      To make the soup base, first chop, then whiz or bash up the following in your food processor or pestle and mortar until you have a pulpy mix; the lime leaves, chillies, garlice, ginger, lemongrass, coriander stalks, five spice and cumin. Remove any stringy bits that may remain in the pulp.Put this fragrant mixture into a high sided pan with a little olive oil and your onion and cook gently for about 10 minutes to release the flavours.

Add the pumpkin and the stock to the pan. (I normally add enough stock to cover the pumpkin) Stir around, scraping all the goodness off the bottom of the pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on for about 15 minutes until the pumpkin is soft. At this point, add the rice and give it a really good stir. (You wouldn't do this bit on the Harcombe diet) Some of the pumpkin will begin to mush up but you'll also have some chunks. Continue to simmer with the lid on until the rice is cooked, then off comes the lid. Add the coconut milk, stir again, taste and season carefully with salt and peppper. If you want to add sharpness, add the lime juice.

Pour over brown rice allowance for the day.

I normally add in cooked prawns or cooked chopped chicken thighs for a wonderfully hearty meal and despite all the ingredients, it really doesn't take that long to make.

Enjoy!

Kim