Cancer risk found in food colourings

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Cancer risk found in food colourings

Cancer risk found in food colourings

• Jane Hansen

FOOD authorities are reviewing alarming scientific evidence that artificial colourings found in thousands of daily food items could pose a cancer risk, as well as cause hyperactivity and allergic reactions in children.

The Food Dyes: A Rainbow of Risks report by the Centre for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) in the US wants the common colours to be banned.
      The colours include the widely used yellow 5, also known as tartrazine (E102); yellow 6, or sunset yellow (E110); blue 1, (133); red 40 or allura red (E129) and red 3 (E127).

CSPI executive director and report co-author Michael F. Jacobson said the colours had been shown to cause cancer in rats and trigger behavioural problems in children.

"These synthetic chemicals do absolutely nothing to improve the nutritional quality or safety of foods but trigger behaviour problems in children and, possibly, cancer in anybody," Mr Jacobson said.

Read the rest here
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Cancer risk found in food colourings

I noticed my son goes crazy when he has these, so I have limited them in his diet just from seeing this happen to him. It's so true yet the people who make these foods and profit from these colours will deny it till they are blue in the face.