Burke's Backyard Recipes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Chicken with Thai Basil and Chillies

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
      4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
      2 teaspoons minced ginger
      4 fresh red chillies (deseeded and sliced)
      4 spring onions (chopped into 2cm pieces)
      300g chicken fillets (cut into small chunks)
      1-2 tablespoons fish sauce
      1/2 teaspoon splenda (;) )
      1/3 cup thai basil leaves

1. Heat the oil in a wok and stir-fry the garlic, ginger and chilli for 1-2 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the spring onions and stir-fry about 1 minute more.

2. Add the chicken and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.

3. Add the fish sauce and splenda and cook 1-2 minutes more, then stir in the basil leaves and let them heat through for 30 seconds.

It then says serve with rice etc, but we know not to do that.

Personal Note: I would probably cook the chicken first and then set aside then do the rest.
    • Easy Thai Fish Cakes

500g white flesh fish fillets
      2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
      pinch of salt
      1 tablespoon fish sauce
      3 green beans (cut into thin slices)
      1 tablespoon coriander leaves (chopped)
      Oil

1. Cut fish into 2cm cubes and blend in a food processor until it becomes a paste. Add the fish sauce, red curry paste and salt and blend 30 seconds more.

2. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the beans and coriander.

3. Dip your hands in cold water to prevent the mixture sticking, then take a small amount of the fish mixture and make flattish cakes (5cm in diameter, 2cm thick).

4. Shallow fry them in a frypan by heating the oil and frying them on both sides for about 2 minutes each, turning only once. Drain the fish cakes on kitchen paper and serve with cucumber dipping sauce.
    • Cucumber Dipping Sauce

80ml water
      60ml white vinegar
      60g sugar (approx. 3 1/2 tablespoons splenda)
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 cucumber
      1 shallot (thinly sliced)
      1 small red chilli (deseeded and sliced)
      ½ tablespoon fish sauce
      4 chopped stalks coriander
      2 tablespoons finely diced carrots (could probably do without this)

1. In a saucepan bring to the boil the water, white vinegar, splenda and salt. Once boiled remove from heat and cool.

2. Peel and slice the cucumber in half length-wise, then slice thinly. Place in a bowl, add the shallot, chilli, fish sauce, coriander and carrots.

3. Add the cooled vinegar mix to the cucumber mix, and serve with fish cakes.
    • Blancmange

225ml milk
      90g sugar (approx. 6 tablespoons splenda)
      100g ground almonds
      2 teaspoons powdered gelatine
      30ml cold water
      225ml double cream
      30ml Maraschino liqueur, or a few drops of almond essence

1. Bring the milk and half the splenda to the boil in a saucepan. Stir in the ground almonds and them to stand and infuse for about 30 minutes. Strain.

2. Mix the gelatine and cold water together in a small bowl and leave for 5 minutes, then microwave until the gelatine has melted (it should take about 10-20 seconds). Mix this gelatine liquid through the strained almond milk and leave to cool, stirring occasionally until the mixture has slightly thickened.

3. Whip the double cream and remaining splenda until soft peaks form. Work in the liqueur (or almond essence) and fold this through the almond milk. Pour into moulds and set in the fridge for 3-5 hours. Serve with fresh or pureed berries (they had a picture of raspberries and blueberries on top).
    • Champagne Sabayon with Strawberries

6 egg yolks
      75ml champagne
      125g sugar (approx. 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons splenda)
      1 punnet of strawberries, washed and hulled

Tip: the ideal way to cook this is in a double-boiler, but if you don’t have one of those, just pop a pyrex or ceramic bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water.

1. In the top half of the double boiler (or in your bowl), away from the heat, whisk together the egg yolks and splenda for a couple of minutes, until the mixture has turned slightly foamy.

2. Add the champagne to the mix then place the top half of the double boiler (or bowl) over the gently simmering saucepan of water and stir it occasionally with a whisk as the mixture thickens and swells in volume. Keep stirring the mixture over the gentle heat for a few minutes so it cooks through. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

3. Arrange the strawberries in serving bowls, and pour over the champagne sabayon.
    • Quick Vanilla Custard

4 egg yolks
      75g sugar (approx. 4 1/2 tablespoons splenda)
      375ml cream
      3 teaspoons vanilla essence

1. Place the egg yolks and splenda in a bowl and beat for a couple of minutes, until well combined.

2. Add the cream to a saucepan and gently heat it through (but make sure it doesn’t boil – just get it up near simmering point). Remove the cream from the heat and pur in the egg and splenda mixture, whisking it well all the time as you go.

3. Add the vanilla essence to the mixture and stir well to combine, then return the saucepan to a very low heat on the stove, and let it all gently cook for about 5-10 minutes until the custard has thickened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

4. You can serve this custard on its own, but it is fabulous with fresh fruits such as berries.
    • Easy Mayonnaise

3 egg yolks
      pinch of salt
      1 tablespoon French mustard
      1 tablespoon lemon juice
      freshly ground black pepper
      1 cup olive oil

1. Place the egg yolks, salt, French mustard, lemon juice and pepper into the blender and whiz for a few seconds until everything is combined well.

2. With the motor still running, slowly add about one-third of the oil to the processor bowl. Then when this has combined add the remainder of the oil in a steady stream and keep on processing until the mixture thickens.
    • Yep, I'll do the fish cakes for tea tonight! Especially as us Lymphiods should have chilli etc. Actually, I just had a thought!! When I did Atkins before, I used to do a lot of stir frys with chilli, garlic, ginger etc, all the things I'm supposed to have! And I used to have it really hot! BF doesn't like hot food, maybe it's his time for induction into chillies etc......

Essie
    • oh guy's it is only 10.30 in the morning and reading these recipes has made me hungry already.
      Whoever tries them first, post and let us know if they are yum pleeeze.

I thought I might try the mayo but have no lemon juice on hand, wonder if you can use essence??

Here is another recipe from the Alintagas magazine they send with your bill. I have not tried it yet but seems pretty L/C to me.

Coriander lime chicken + chilli mayo

6 halve chick breasts
      2 tbs corn oil (maybe use another oil)
      rind of 2 limes, finely grated
      2tbs chopped coriander

for the mayo
      4 tbs low fat mayo
      1 small red chillli seeded and finely chopped
      rind of 1 lime finely grated
      2tsp lime juice
      salt and pep to taste.

Mix oil, lime juice, coriander and pour over chicken. Cover and marinate in fridge for atleast an hour.
      Mix all chilli, lime mayo ingredients togethor and chill until ready to serve.
      Before cooking lift chicken out of marinate and pat dry with paper towel.

Heat ungreased skillet for 2 minutes then oil pan lightly and add chicken. Cook 4-5 minutes- don't move them until ready to turn over.
      Lift one edge of chicken, if it releases easily from surface, it's ready to turn. Cook other side for 4-5 minutes.
      Serve with mayo , vegies or salad.:p
    • Made the fish cakes. If I had the right implements I'm sure they'd be better. Actually, they were nice but I wasn't sure how much chilli paste to put in as bf doesn't like food too hot. Would be much better hotter, and sweet chilli was what was missing!

This week I thought I'd buy a food processor, never had much of a reason to have one when I lived on pasta a rice. But now that I actually cook, and love it, the right tools might help make life a lot easier!! Especially fish cakes! (Did it very slowly in the blender!)

Essie
    • Originally posted by raybeanberry
      Easy Thai Fish Cakes

500g white flesh fish fillets
      2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
      pinch of salt
      1 tablespoon fish sauce
      3 green beans (cut into thin slices)
      1 tablespoon coriander leaves (chopped)
      Oil
      I made a recipe recently that used breadcrumbs - I will try this one next - anything to avoid unecessary carbs! However for a variation try the following:
      * Splitting the 500g fish into 300g fish and 200g prawn flesh
      * Adding a tin of crab meat
      * Increasing the amount of "green herbs" by adding more coriander (if you like it) or subbing for parsley and/or adding chives or spring onions.
      * Whacking in an egg to hold it all together if necessary
    • Sweet Chilli Sauce

Okay here's some I found, you will need to make them LC:

Sweet Chilli 1:

1/2 cup water
      1/4 cup white vinegar
      1 tsp hoisin sauce
      1 sm red chilli, chopped
      Sweetner to taste

Combine in pan and stir over heat until sugar (sweetener) has dissolved, bring to boil and simmer for 5 mins or untill thickened slightly.

2:

6 fresh large red chillies trimmed
      1 tbl chopped frsh red chilli
      1/4 cup white vinegar
      Sweetener to taste
      1 tsp salt
      4 garlic cloves chopped

2 tsp fish sauce

Removes seeds for milder flavour and soak for 15mins in hot water. Process with all ingrediants except fish sauce untill smooth.
      Then cook for 15 mins over med heat untill thickened. Allow to cool and then add fish sauce.

3:

500g sm fresh red chilli
      125g ginger peeled and chopped
      6 cloves of garlic chopped
      2 tsp grated lemon rind
      1 cup white vinegar
      Sweetener to taste

Using gloves, disgard chilli stalks, wash chillies and quarter. (do not remove anything else)
      Process all ingrediants untill it reaches consitency of thick sauce. Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.

Makes 750ml

2 sm red chillies finely chopped
      2 crushed cloves of garlic
      sweetener to taste
      1 tbl soy sauce
      1 tbl vinegar
      1/2 cup boiling water

Combine all ingrediants and bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer untill thickens slightly.