crunchy lowcarb nut bar with chocolate topping

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: crunchy lowcarb nut bar with chocolate topping

Hi Ian and welcome....

I actually only have to read thought a few posts in Sinders Diary as my desert...lol its true!
      You don't need eyes to see you need vision... Maxy Jazz....Faithless

[Blocked Image: http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/heartbar/slider-hearts/kg/130.3/75/107/.png] 155kilos 7/2009...I started this time 19/9/2010

I made this today..... it is FABULOUS!!!!:D:D:D Thankyou sooooo much for this recipe, it tastes so naughty!!

I chopped the nuts with a knife, so they were perhaps a little chunky and somehow, I totally forgot to put the flax in. I made it before work and it was still soft when I had to leave..... looked like it was going to turn out very crumbly, so I popped it in the fridge. Just got home from work and it's set well, sliced it up and am in heaven. It was a little crumbly around the edges, but I think that's from nuts a bit too chunky and the lack of flax (flax seems to really bind things together...), but never fear, I'm going to sprinkle all the 'crumbles' over my sugar free ice cream tonight mmmmmmm

The cheesecake base idea is great, I can't wait to make a cheesecake that I don't feel guilty about.

Thanks again :D

I made this today..... it is FABULOUS!!!!:D:D:D Thankyou sooooo much for this recipe, it tastes so naughty!!

I chopped the nuts with a knife, so they were perhaps a little chunky and somehow, I totally forgot to put the flax in. I used a pack of "Low Carb Trail Mix" which has raw nuts and pumpkin and sunflower seeds. I made it before work and it was still soft when I had to leave..... looked like it was going to turn out very crumbly, so I popped it in the fridge to set. Just got home from work and it's set well, sliced it up and am in heaven. It was a little crumbly around the edges, but I think that's from nuts a bit too chunky and the lack of flax (flax seems to really bind things together...), but never fear, I'm going to sprinkle all the 'crumbles' over my sugar free ice cream tonight mmmmmmm

The cheesecake base idea is great, I can't wait to make a cheesecake that I don't feel guilty about.

Thanks again :D

I made this again yesterday! The first time I made it when I was moving it was not successful as I think something I used was rancid!!!

This time I just bought a macro raw nuts mix from woolies, there were some cashews but they are cancelled out a lot by the brazil nuts but you could always pick out the cashews. Anyway I used about 2 to 2.5 cups of it and I probably had a little extra peanut butter and butter. I did not add coconut, flax or sesame, it was just a pure nut bar with chocolate on top. After toasting I rubbed off the skins from the hazel and brazil nuts and then I bashed all my nuts in batches in a mortar and pestle so I had more control over consistency. I did use the teaspoon of honey like the original recipe but next time I will leave it out so I can see if it really makes a difference. Anyway it was fantastic, very similar to that hazelnut slice I make but more nutty due to all the nuts and peanut butter. I really really liked this. The nut mix once all mixed up was so moorish I could've just eaten that lol
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • I make these all the time = yummy. They are even nicer than some of the atkins bars (and without all of the extras).

I use 85% brazil nut (going to try 100%), I add shredded coconut, and often use some almond butter.

FYI. I don't know if it makes a difference but I blitz my nuts before toasting them in the oven with the coconut.

Hope you like them

We are all a little bit broken - but that's ok.
    • Sounds amazing Di! Can't wait to make them, and eat them even more! I don't have a blender or food processor (just a stick blender) so I can't make my own nut butter, and they seem to have been pulled from the shelves of coles and woolies. Any idea where to get some where the price isn't astronomical? I can bash the nuts themselves in a mortar and pestle, but I'd love to add some almond butter too. :)
      We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

• I'm glad to hear our supermarkets still sell them Sherrie, it means I can go looking, as all the supermarkets in my vicinity haven't had nut butters or psyllium husk for a while now?!

I have my version of this bar in the fridge right now, I was so inspired to make one. I used:

1 1/2 cups toasted mixed nuts, smashed up - brazil, pecan, macadamia & almond
      1/4 cup flax meal
      1/8 cup peanut butter
      1/8 cup tahini
      1/4 cup butter
      SF maple syrup, to taste
      4 or 5 pkts splenda

I haven't got any chocolate to drizzle on top, but I can't wait to see how this slightly varied version tastes. Thanks for the recipes Sinders & Sherrie :)

• Me too, luckily lindt is on special a fair bit, hey. :)

Sherrie, I died and went to heaven munching on some of that nut bar late last night! Wow, what a recipe! I had some crumbled over my lc cheesecake mousse - indulgence!

I highly recommend these little beauties to everyone, yuuuuuum. The rest is in the freezer, and I like that you can chop a thin sliced bar off for a small sweet treat that won't break the carb count, AND it's all natural and chemical free. Thanks so much for the rad recipe :)