Coles bans types of beef

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Coles bans types of beef

Well this is interesting to read, I didn't think we had hormones in our meat in Australia but it seems we do, I don't usually buy meat from Coles though I do buy all my frozen veggies there as they are the only ones that I have come across that offer a full range of frozen Australian veggies. Looks like in January I may just be visiting Coles for meat also.

Most of us have never heard of Hormone Growth Promotants (HGPs) but nearly all of us unknowingly eat them every day.
      Now Coles, one of the country's biggest food retailers, is stamping out their use.

General Manager for Meats at Coles, Allister Watson, said the supermarket giant will no longer sell beef that contains the growth booster.

"This is not a scaremongering tactic, we don't want people to be worried because this is a safe product," he said.

"We'll have much better quality from an eating perspective for all of our customers."

Allister explains that HGPs help farmers grow bigger stock, faster and removing it will cost Coles an estimated $35 million a year in lost productivity.

But it is one the company is prepared to absorb for a point of difference in the market.

"Coles is all about trying to tidy up and clean up the ingredients and things that happen in the supply chain of all of our food products," he said.

"Anything that we are putting in that doesn't need to go in, anything that's having an adverse effect on the quality of the product, we are going to take out."

More

After reading about that I googled HGP's to find out exactly what they were and found this so they are actual hormones:

Hormonal Growth Promotants (HGPs)

What are they?

Hormonal Growth Promotants (HGPs) are widely used throughout Australia and the rest of the world, and are a group of veterinary drugs that mimic the hormones that influence cattle growth. Hormonal Growth Promotants (HGPs):

• May be natural or synthetic,
      • Improve the rate of food conversion in cattle,
      • Are implanted as a pellet under the skin of the ear,
      • Contain an inert marker that makes them easier to find.

Cattle HGPs are small implants given in the ear which slowly dissolve to release hormone into the blood stream. They are widely used to improve both rate and efficiency of weight gain.

HGPs contain female hormones (such as oestradiol and progesterone) or male hormones (such as testosterone and trenbolone acetate) or a combination of both. Combination implants containing trenbolone acetate are referred to as "aggressive" implants as they generally further increase growth rate, feed efficiency and delay in fattening.
      more
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Coles bans types of beef

Coles is just getting better and better at the moment, they really are lifting there game.

I have to shop at Coles to get my meat, I dare not go to our local butcher, the first and last time I went there they were handling money and then handling the meat without washing there hands afterwards or using gloves, so grose, never went back again.

Hey Lisa, are you saying no Australian farmers use anything that promotes growth hormones in their cattle?

If not, how do Coles and butchers (butchers have been advertising this for years) get away with this type of advertising which at the very least would be very misleading as it would imply that everyone else's beef contains hormones?
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Sorry, should have fluffed out my response more.

Some feed lots do use the hormone pellets in the ears. I would confidently say that the vast majority of small producers do not use hormones. "Grass fed" should be fairly safe for hormone free. If you have a good relationship with your local butcher, he should tell you if the meat he is selling has had hormones used in the production. Each cow has a unique ear tag number that stays with it for life, when you sell the cow for consumption you MUST declare if it is hormone free.

There are things in agriculture that gives even us farmers pause for thought, but it can be pressure from others that make accepted practices be changed hopefully for the better (although not always, thats how hormones got to be used in the first place)

By from Coles, but be aware that they are not the only place to get hormone free meat, and that Coles and Woolworths are in a big fight for your hard earned money, they will say and do almost anything to get you to shop with them. (Including slightly dishonest marketing)

But most of all, buy Australian. :)

Cheers
      end of rant.

We buy from both supermarket or butcher depending on what we're after and/or what's on special where because it's all about what you can afford. Ultimately, I would prefer all meat fresh straight from the source but that's not so easy!

Thanks for clarifying on that, I think it's probably a good thing that Coles is also placing emphasis on that simply because it encourages more people to think about where their meat comes from and demand better quality and for their meat to come from Australia. I would hate our meat industry to end up like the US!

for the record.. I hate coles!!.. Twice I have bought rotten chicken from their deli and have decided, never again.

But I also thought that its illegal to give livestock growth hormones, they say they dont add them but hello.. no one does (or is that just chicken?)

I too would love to buy my meat right from the source and sometimes , money permitting, we do at local farmers markets etc but convenience says we get the majority of what we eat from woolies/ butchers/ wholesalers.

I don't like buying foods from the deli sections of any supermarkets, they either intentionally label a more expensive product, give you off raw chicken etc or they cross contaminate. I remember buying some neufchatel once for a cheesecake because it was on special and they cut it with a dirty knife that they had used on some sort of pate product. I opened it and found it covered in pate!

Sherrie wrote:

I don't like buying foods from the deli sections of any supermarkets, they either intentionally label a more expensive product, give you off raw chicken etc or they cross contaminate. I remember buying some neufchatel once for a cheesecake because it was on special and they cut it with a dirty knife that they had used on some sort of pate product. I opened it and found it covered in pate!

YUK ....that is just wrong , hope you took it back . I bought a chicken from the meat section last week , the one covered in plastic , when I opened it it stunk but still had 2 days before expiry date .

Thanks for the info on the hormones , good to know :)
      DAISY

Small steps to a healthy lifestyle....here we go