Odille's fried chicken/turkey stuffing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Odille's fried chicken/turkey stuffing

This is in another thread as a reply but I thought I'd put it in general recipes too, especially with the festive season fast approaching. Good for any poultry and adaptable to most low carb plans.

My recipe is free of the hot food group as I am allergic to anything of the chilli family and I have a problem with garlic. You would add garlic at the onion stage and them the chillis if you use them. It is best made ahead and cold when you stuff the bird, but I have spooned it straight from the frypan on occasion.

Ingredients (size/number of ingredients depends on size of bird)
      * Onion, brown, chopped
      * Celery, chopped
      * Bacon, chopped
      * Mushrooms, smallish ones thinly sliced, any type can be used, the Dutch brown ones are particularly nice in this
      * Herbs, I use fennel seeds, sage and rosemary every time, plus oregano, mixed Italian blend - whatever appeals to my taste on the day!
      * LSA (ground linseed/sunflower/almond meal - available from the health food aisle in Coles or in bulk at health food stores.
      * Oil - olive, butter, even lard
      * Lemon juice
      * Water or chicken stock (or partly wine - that's optional and adds carbs)

Method
      Heat the oil at medium heat in a heavy bottom pan, I use a stainless steel one. Throw in about 20 fennel seeds and the onion. Stir fairly constantly, when the onion starts to go transparent, add the herbs & bacon. Stir for a few more minutes and add all the veges EXCEPT the mushroom. Stir till they just start to brown a bit, then add a tablespoon of butter and then the mushrooms, don't put the butter away, you'll want it again.

Make sure your LSA and water/stock are to hand and ready to grab.

Stir this lots all together and once the mushies start to cook a bit add 2 tablespoons butter and turn heat up a bit. Now add your LSA. I just keep adding until the amount 'looks right', usually 4 - 6 tablespoons (I use a little scoop so it is hard to gauge). You need to stir constantly and may need to add a bit more butter. You then add some water/stock - not a lot, enough to make it a bit sloppy looking and then add your squeeze of lemon. Now you stir constantly until the liquid is mostly evaporated and you have a nice, slightly crumbly but moist mix. Taste to test.

Naturally, it is impossible to put a carb count on this as the amounts vary with each bird, depending on size. But LSA 4.69 carbs per 100g, so it's low. And you don't eat great amounts of it, so I usually have a tablespoon or so with my meat and count it as 3 carbs. I always think as I make it what the poor brainwashed folk on low fat diets are missing out on!

And savour that chook (or whatever)!
      Odille -
      following Primal Lifestyle

Low fat is so last century!