Paleo/Lacto-Paleo/Primal Support Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Paleo/Lacto-Paleo/Primal Support Thread

I keep a very low carb, Lacto-Paleo food plan. I know Odille is keeping Primal, which is quite similar.

Anyone else eating this way?
      WOE: Dr. Richard Bernstein's VLC and no sweet fruits, and the 12 Steps of Archevore, per Dr. Kurt Harris' site.

Keep A Clean Food Plan through June 30th Challenge

Over 55.
      Eleven years of maintenance.
    • Re: Paleo/Lacto-Paleo/Primal Support Thread

Hi, Donkeybrook. Nice to have you post. I eat Paleo plus heavy cream and butter. Mmmm, it's a grand food plan for me.

Sending you best wishes for a happy Christmas. :)
      WOE: Dr. Richard Bernstein's VLC and no sweet fruits, and the 12 Steps of Archevore, per Dr. Kurt Harris' site.

Over 55.

Nice to know who else is doing something similar. I use heavy cream and a little cheese. Milk has never agreed with me much and I don't really like it, but cream is far lower in carbs and I prefer it in my coffee
      Odille -
      following Primal Lifestyle

Low fat is so last century!

donkeybrook wrote:

doesn't it do the oily floaty thing?

No not at all, get the pure cream in the 300ml or 600ml carton, not the thickened stuff in the bottle. It pours just like milk.

Also wonderful in scrambled eggs (you don't need as much as you'd use if it were milk), in juices if you've cooked chicken or something in a frypan etc.
      Odille -

Mmm, I like cream in eggs. I put heavy cream in tea, sometimes I use butter or beef fat, in tea. Those folks high in the mountains of the Himalayas with their Yak butter in hot tea, know a good thing. :) I started putting butter in tea, when I heard about that Himalayan nomads doing that. It really does help one keep warm.

Braised eggs in cream and purified water, with a bit of black or white pepper, is one of my favorite meals.

I also use the heavy cream to make yoghurt.

Sending you all lots of good thoughts for a beautiful day. :)

Over 55.

What food do you all buy each week? Thought it'd be interesting to compare grocery lists and swap some food ideas.

Here is my usual list:

3 - 3 1/2 pounds beef
      2 dozen eggs
      3 quarts heavy cream
      1 or 2 vegetables: usually celery, turnips, or similar this time of year
      tea
      butter

Sometimes I buy tinned salmon, unflavored gelatin granules, black pepper or herbs.

:)

Over 55.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Silver: corrected error ().

Am drinking my own version of Tibetan tea this morning: Pu-erh tea with a dab of pastured butter.

Here is some information on the traditional method of making Tibetan tea:

chinatibet.people.com.cn/96064/96099/6552476.html

and a discussion of the tea, at a cooking site:

chowhound.chow.com/topics/334708

I started putting butter in my tea some years ago when the winter was very cold. Someone told me about the folks in the Himalayas putting yak butter and salt in their tea. I didn't try the salt then, but later did and liked it.

Pastured butter and very nice sea salt, good Pu-erh and purified water make a wonderful, warming tea.

I know most of you are thinking of ways to stay cool this time of year. :)

Over 55.

Silver wrote:

What food do you all buy each week? Thought it'd be interesting to compare grocery lists and swap some food ideas.

Here is my usual list:

3 - 3 1/2 pounds beef
      2 dozen eggs
      3 quarts heavy cream
      1 or 2 vegetables: usually celery, turnips, or similar this time of year
      tea
      butter

Sometimes I buy tinned salmon, unflavored gelatin granules, black pepper or herbs.

:)

My list below, but remember I have a partner who eats 'normally' so there is enough for 2 here.

Meat: A whole topside roast - this is shared between us and the 6 cats. I used to be able to get them for $6.99 p/kg but the shop went broke (no wonder). I am currently paying $7.99 at Bi Lo or my butcher, and it is grass fed beef.
      Chicken breasts or a whole chicken - depends on stock in the freezer but I like to have chicken a couple of times a week
      Lamb loin chops about twice a month, and I like the lamb fillets/steaks but only buy them on special.
      Bacon - 1 kg pack from my butcher as required.
      I also render down the bacon and beef fat. Bi Lo save me a bag of beef fat as needed and give it to me for free, I just tell them on Thursday and when they do the big chop up for the weekend meat on Friday they keep it aside for me. Normally all their fat is chucked in together.
      Fish - we buy farmed prawns on special, for instance this week at Woolies they are $12.75, and if you go early you an get a 5kg box still frozen. They are easy to break off and keep really well. We cook them on the BBQ in cast iron plates with butter and herbs or garlic. Sometimes we make prawn cutlets with LSA instead of breadcrumbs (linseed, sunflower/almonds ground up - available at Coles in health food section or at health food shop) and almond flour instead of cornflower.
      I also like to have some tinned salmon in the pantry.
      1-2 dozen eggs - from a guy Warwick works with who keep chickens. We know these are fresh, sometimes we even have to wait a day or two until he can accumulate a dozen!
      Vegetables: baby carrots, green beans, snow peas, zucchini, a whole cauliflower as needed - I like to get them with all their leaves as they last much longer in the fridge if you wrap them in their leaves. I use a plastic colander and have had them still good after a month. Warwick likes green peas but I only like those raw in salads. I do buy potatoes, but only eat them occasionally, I like the new blue skin variety Coles has. I wish I could get these straight from the grower but of course it is almost impossible to grow spuds up here, too hot and humid.
      Also for salads lettuce, celery, pineapple and beetroot.
      Other stuff: W has pasta and rice (which I now consider to be vile stuff and do not eat). We buy pre packed beef patties from Aldi, they are 100% beef, no preservatives, 8 to a pack and cheaper than mince at the supermarket. Very convenient when W wants hamburgers for tea. He has it on Woolies 4 seed rolls and I just have mine breadless.
      My occasional treats are 6-7 seaweed rice crackers and pate or smoked salmon. We both prefer seaweed crackers but while I have just my 6-7 W eats 2 rows out the packet!
      Cream - pure cream (in the blue carton) 1-2 p/week, I use this in my coffee/decaff and for cooking. I actually like the taste of the Norco pure cream in the bottle but it is a bit harder to source up here.
      Odille -

The post was edited 2 times, last by Analog6 ().

Odille, your groceries are really wonderful. Your method of cooking prawns on cast iron sounds lovely.

I like heavy cream, too. Sometimes, I buy light cream, when the store has no more heavy cream.

Have been reading about the traditional diets of the Mongolians, the Tibetan nomads who live on the Northern plateau, and the Inuit today. Fascinating reading. I'll pick the best of what I've found and post a link or two. Both the Mongolians and the Tibetans eat meat and dairy, and the ones who live the highest in the mountains rarely eat much else. I wonder how many people are still able to live this way, due to so many factors.

Am reading the seed catalogues to see what perennial herbs I want to add to my container gardening in the spring (planting in late March or early April here).

Sending you best wishes. :)

Over 55.

Peter Dobromylskyj has a new post up at Hyperlipid. The comments are a discussion of phytotoxins and are fascinating. Chris Masterjohn commented that he will be writing on this soon.

high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/

and Dr. Emily Dean's posts for the end of the year, are delightful, as usual:

evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/

Found a good article at WAPF on the traditional foods of American Indians:

westonaprice.org/traditional-diets/628-guts-and-grease.html

Will post other good things on traditional diets when I find them.

Over 55.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Silver: added something ().

Here, two places online to read Dr. Weston A. Price's book, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration:

journeytoforever.org/farm_library/price/pricetoc.html

ETA: found the other link for the book:

gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200251h.html#ch17

Over 55.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Silver: added link ().

Just came across this whilst looking for another thread and thought I'd bump it with the recent interest in paleo :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.