Hypothyroidism

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Hypothyroidism

Hi all - Is there anyone from Perth WA - know a good doctor that will recognize low thyroid function? I have been dx with hypothyroidism more than 5 years ago and have been on thyroxine 50mg all this time. But I feel now that I may need maybe to up my meds or see an endo but doc won't do a thing as test results come back in the normal range. My body temp is always low - always 97F, I am always tired and up until Monday - was on a lot of stimulants just to get going. I used to exercise everyday but since cutting out on the stimulants
      (thermogenics - made up mainly of caffeine) I have no energy to exercise. I am low carbing, High fat with Virgin Coconut Oil. I take metformin for my Type 2 Diabetes. If anyone can steer me to a good doc that would listen I would be most grateful :)
    • Re: Hypothyroidism

Hey Odar, have you seen this thread: Thyroid 101 There's some docs listed down the bottom of the first post.

May I ask what your results are? Do you get them to print your results out for you?
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Hi Sherrie - I go back tomorrow to get my results but judging by his attitude I am not encouraged at all. Also next week I go for an ultrasound of the goitre as about 3years ago or maybe 2 there were 3 nodules that were discovered so doc wants to be sure that the nodules have not grown etc. I will let you know more about test results when I see him tomorrow. Its been hard as I switched docs when I discovered I had Type 2 diabetes. But in the last year, my emotions were really up and down, have no sex drive at all, my hair is always falling out in clumps when I shower ( its lucky I have lots of hair) and my energy level has really zapped. To make matters worse with the stress of all of the above, my doc prescribe anti depressant - which made me more ill and fatigue!.. I was given zoloft at 50mgs and celexa at 20mg but both made me so sick and I had actually gained more weight!

Can't say I am surprised that they caused you to gain weight, wouldn't have been good for your diabetes either.

What if you took a list of hypothyroid symptoms to him? Something written by a Doctor?
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

thank you Jomojo - I have will ring for an appointment today after I've seen my regular doc for results. am not holding my breath with this one though - he is strictly old fashioned and by the book so to speak!:mad:

Actually just rang Desana and he is booked for all of Jan 11 - hmm I will have to try another Doc as he does charge $195.00 for initial consult??? If I can't find someone I will ring and make an appt for Feb. Thanks again :)

OK Sorry for update - but just contacted Desana and have an appointment booked for 22nd Feb 2011 - & that was the earliest! Now he must be good!

The post was edited 2 times, last by odar ().

• Re: Hypothyroidism - Results are In

Hi All - Sherry my results are in - but I still have no idea about it! Anyway here is the following:

Thyroid Antibodies:
      Antithyroid peroxidase (TPO)....86 (<61)
      Antithyroglobulin.....................25 (<61)

Cumlative Albumin / Creatinine:confused:
      Albumin (mg/l) .. 10
      Creatinine)mmol/l)...9.2
      Alb/Creat (ratio)....1.1
      Reference Range Albumin (<30) Alb/ Creat Ration (<2.8)

Glycated Haemoglobin:D

Cumulative Thyroid Function Test:confused:
      TSH (mU/L) - (0.40 - 4.00)

FT4 (pmol/L)(10-20)

FT3 (pmol/L) (3.5-6.5)

The only thing I know is that my blood sugars the last three months were good - but as for the rest - have no idea :(

** sorry have inserted the ref ranges :)

The post was edited 2 times, last by odar: inserted reference ranges ().

Oh and was anything said about your TPO? Your thyroid numbers look fine but not sure about your TPO without the range. I know with one of my antibiodies test done years ago normal was <100

But your ft3 and ft4 look good from what I can tell without the ranges, there is the possibility that you have high rT3 levels which will virtually block your fT3 from entering your cells. Should be some links on that in the thyroid thread.

Sherrie wrote:

Oh and was anything said about your TPO? Your thyroid numbers look fine but not sure about your TPO without the range. I know with one of my antibiodies test done years ago normal was <100

But your ft3 and ft4 look good from what I can tell without the ranges, there is the possibility that you have high rT3 levels which will virtually block your fT3 from entering your cells. Should be some links on that in the thyroid thread.

Hi Sherrie - have posted the reference ranges for your comments :) Hmm no he just said that yes we know you have a thyroid problem and the thyroxine I am on is fine. He is insistent that I go on lipitor for chol. and has given a blood work to do for that as well. I asked him that because my Blood Sugar was 5.5 - should I stop the metformin - and he said NO..

Well if your doc is closed minded and you do still need help with your thyroid then your ft3 and ft4 results will make it hard for you. However it does show that you have auto-immune, did you have high TPO before?

There's some good thyroid links in the thyroid thread that go into the blood tests a fair bit. Thyroid antibodies are basically your immune system attacking your thyroid.

I would wanna hope that when they diagnosed you with hypothyroidism that they also checked your antibiodies, especially considering you have a goitre!!! It would be good for you to know if your antibiodies are improving or if it is something new?

Have you gone through this list of alternative practitioners? a lot of them are actual GPs but with an alternative view as well as just purely conventional:

ACNEM

Hi Sherrie, yes thanks for the link. I have an appointment with the clinic in Wembley. Apparently he is the best in WA for Thyroid, Hormones etc and costly to boot (l0l) My appointment is on Feb 22nd so a way to go but am actually curious more to see what he says. I don't ever recall any of my doctors doing a testm on my antibodies or if it was done nothing was mentioned of it. I have copies of my other last test and it was not shown on that one - so maybe this has been missing for a while(?) :(
      I am going to read up on this and find out exactly what I am supposed to do to take care of this "new" issue. Hopefully I can understand all the medico jargon:)
    • Hi Guys - am so excited - went to see Dr Salim Ismail which by the way cost a total of $375.00 including over the counter medicines from the naturpath - he dignaosed me with sever adrenal failure - his words - zilch, nothing! total exhaustion. My stress levels are way too high and my thyroid is not functioning as should be.. he has put me on Armour 1grain twice a day, and prescribe hypercotisone type drug - all to picked up this afternoon as they had to be made... quite expensive but I hope well worth it. The otc medication is for stress, energy, detox and probiotics. I go back to see him in 6 weeks so fingers crossed. He also has given me a battery of blood test to do - some not claimable by medicare and would cost around $250.00 and the other test is claimable. He doesn't believe I'm type 2 - insulin resistance - yes but not type 2! was especially enthused to hear that I found him through this website - said he would check it out :) am already feeling quite good this morning just from the calm tabs and stress tabs....:D

Haha he already knows about this website as this is how Jomojo and Cooks found him and they told him also. He does seem costly so I really hope it works for you!

I was shocked when they told me how much he cost but I recently found out what a CFS doctor in Melbourne charges and it's much, much, much, much worse and CFS is much harder to treat so the risk far outweighs the cost imo!

Good luck! :)

Hey Sherrie, I am very confident that this will work... he also gave me nutrition instructions for 1 day of detox, one week of another detox diet and then one for 4ever!... all lowcarb - not no carb and very very strict with franken foods - a big no no! so all in keeping with what I am doing. Will keep this forum posted on my progress!:)

Hey Odar, my doctor tried me on that a couple of years ago but I didn't tolerate it at all, it actually made me very angry and on edge right from the very first dose. But that's me, I don't have adrenal fatigue like he originally thought. I know Cooks does well on it.