Low Carb Dining Experiences

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Dining Experiences

Recently on a caravan oddessy in the country west of the Great Dividing Range. Our party of 6 had many gourmet meals prepared by each of us then we decided to eat out at a very, very, very old pub at Wellington NSW. Have got pretty good at picking something low carb from the menu and I chose a steak and salad, NO chips. In fact all of us ordered the salad.

Long wait and the meals arrived all WITH veggies and chips. I said that I had ordered salad and the waitress said that they had totally run out of salad. Fine, says I but I can't have the veggies they had served (chips, peas and carrots). My husband also low carbs and said that he would not eat the veg either. It was the New Year long weekend holiday and the surrounding areas had been at times inundated with floods but.....................

The waitress said she would see if they could rustle up a salad bowl of sorts. The rest of our group divided up our veggies including another diabetic and we eventualy got a bowl of spanish onions and tomato quarters and some red capsicum.

Had the staff told us first instead of just serving us up an alternative we might have had the opportunity to discuss options like zuchinni, green beans or cauliflower. One of our friends became exhasperated at me and said surely I could eat carrots! I replied only some and raw thanks.

I am diabetic, no meds. What if I had been coeliac and they decided to serve me a wheat product? I was not rude to them but need to keep on plugging my message for my health but don't often get unasked for options.

Later on the trip we went for a pub lunch in Bathurst and was told that they had run out of garden salads too so I had a cheese, mushroom and bacon omelette. Their veggie man arrived just beforeI was served and I got a plateful of salad alongside my omelette. Good when you get kept in the picture!
      Alison
      Fearless in the face of dietary Fat. Increased fat, dropped carbs to very low low and reached target weight and more! Low carber for (my) Life

The post was edited 1 time, last by clearviews: spelling ().

• Re: Low Carb Dining Experiences

Wow, you ordered salad with no chips and they did the exact opposite! You would think before starting to cook your meal they would come and tell you and give you the opportunity to order something else!!!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

I have to say that dining out is one of the hardest parts of Atkins for me - my wife and I try to get out once a fortnight for dinner and a movie. Since I started Atkins it has really limited my choices in locations to eat - mainly Indian and/or anywhere I can get some relatively plain meat.

You obviously gamble when you go out because the restaurants don't have a nutritional break down of their meals (unless you're dining out in MacDonalds). I know lamb rogan josh is meant to be pretty low carb so that's what I stick with a lot of the time (but again, I'm just guessing on their ingredients) or tandoori chicken.

I went out to a Xmas dinner with my wife's workmates and it was all pre-paid and they had a Xmas menu (3 options for each of the 3 courses). I couldn't have any of the entrees, I could have the main (grilled fish) but not the side (the salad they brought had a sweet black bean sauce over it) and of course I couldn't have dessert. So my wife paid $60 for me to have a piece of fish and I had to sit there through two courses while other people ate. Not the most comfortable evening of my life.

I look forward to achieving a weight where I can sit down and enjoy a special meal every now and then and not have to worry that I'm going to kick myself out of ketosis. I keep mentally storing up the special events I've missed and keep telling myself that it's worth it and some time in the near future I can also enjoy things like a piece of my own birthday cake with my kids (yesterday).

This is exactly why I like Bodytrim. Absolutely not trying to convert anyone, but for me I know I would never last on any plan if I couldn't eat out or have something special once in a while (read weekly :D). Even the Primal Diet has a 80/20% deal where you eat compliant 80% of the time and have 20% either as treats or joining in traditional meals like Xmas and Thanksgiving.

My "Free Day" is my treat for a good week. Maybe still using food as a treat is not great but breaking habits of a lifetime is hard. I get thru the week by thinking when ever I see something that I cant have or craving sweets, "I'll have that on me free day" The list can get very long but by the time Saturday comes along I've forgotten most of what I wanted and have a nice day just eating a few special foods like a meal out with potato or dessert.

Had a funny encounter with a food hall attendant the other day at lunch. I asked for the curry combination without the rice. Boy did I make a mistake :eek: The girl very emphatically told me I HAD to have rice (even though I was very clear that I would pay full price and didnt want her to make up the volume in curry).

The only way I could have curry without the rice was to buy a take home pack that was enough for four people for $24. The non low-carbers with me were very annoyed with me for making a fuss and said "just dont eat the rice". But any curry lover will know that the best part of the curry is the sauce that has now dripped down into the rice so not eating the rice means not getting all that lovely sauce and paying for a meal that ends up being a few pieces of sauce-less meat. I had a salad instead :confused:

Cant wait for a few more low-carbers to get out there into the eating-out world and get the message out that we would like a bit of choice too.
      Kapay :)

Hi
      I find a good food hall option these is days is a bread less kebab no cheese, 1 place took awhile to work it out, but other kebab places have it on the menu.
      I also have asked for a steak sandwhich with out the bread at a pub, it had plenty of salad with it an was cheaper than a steak meal.

cheers Dal

I had a nice lunch out with my daughter at a Japanese place as she is agoraphobic and feels safe there...I didnt think much of it and ordered seafood tempura...there is very little batter on a good tempura....but I got the same deal...you HAVE to have rice...I laughed and said 'kiddo im FAT I dont want rice...feed it to your dog/cat/pets....I dont want to see the rice...I'll pay for it but I dont want it on my plate' lol I was funny but clear....they compensated me by giving me some tempura zuc...so it was fine....this is a family run place and next time will be easier...their food is 100% fresh....I waited 1/2 hour for my meal...so I feel very safe eating there...the carbs weren't that bad and Im extra strict usually...I didnt consider it a blow out either as that stuffs with my head and ability to keep going...I lost a kilo the next day....Atkins is as flexible as your creativity :)
      You don't need eyes to see you need vision... Maxy Jazz....Faithless

[Blocked Image: http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/heartbar/slider-hearts/kg/130.3/75/107/.png] 155kilos 7/2009...I started this time 19/9/2010

hehe We went out for lunch to a little Chinese place that my mother in law frequents and they insisted I have rice with my meal, I couldn't make them see that although I was happy to pay for the rice I didn't want it. And then when the waitress cleared my plate she asked if the rice wasn't to my liking lol
      For now being a LC newbie I stick to plain old steak and salad and feed the chips to the kids. :o

deenalicious wrote:

I had a nice lunch out with my daughter at a Japanese place as she is agoraphobic and feels safe there...I didnt think much of it and ordered seafood tempura...there is very little batter on a good tempura....but I got the same deal...you HAVE to have rice...I laughed and said 'kiddo im FAT I dont want rice...feed it to your dog/cat/pets....I dont want to see the rice...I'll pay for it but I dont want it on my plate' lol I was funny but clear....they compensated me by giving me some tempura zuc...so it was fine....this is a family run place and next time will be easier...their food is 100% fresh....I waited 1/2 hour for my meal...so I feel very safe eating there...the carbs weren't that bad and Im extra strict usually...I didnt consider it a blow out either as that stuffs with my head and ability to keep going...I lost a kilo the next day....Atkins is as flexible as your creativity :)