In ketosis but hungry!!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• In ketosis but hungry!!

Can anyone tell me why I feel really hungry today............I've had plenty of food..........no carbs except my salad and small fruit with breaky, lots of protein, 3 litres of water, I'm in ketosis (the sticks are purple) and it's not TTOM!!!!

The only thing is that I'm really tired having worked an 11 hour overnight shift last night and only had 3 hours sleep today. Before starting LC, this would be my danger time to pig out on all sorts of rubbish. I know metabolism can get out of whack from shift work, so is that why I'm just so HUNGRY???????

If anyone can shed light on this I'd be most grateful,

Liz.
    • Re: In ketosis but hungry!!

I would think you are hungry because you didn't have much sleep and your body is giving you signals to eat so that it gives you some energy. Not getting much sleep interferes with weight loss.
      Weight Loss Goal - to reach 55kg
      Currently doing 12 week body transformation - at 64kg (9kg to goal)
      (Started 27/8/12 at 77.8kg)

I definately agree with the lack of sleep as that always makes me hungry! Personally the extra fat (as per LC Dave's recommendation) doesn't agree with me as I found that when I add more fats to my diet I get hungrier and can eat massive amounts of food. When I drop the fat back and increase protein, hunger disappears...... Guess we are all different there and have to try a few things till we get the balance right :)

Lizardlinks, it takes some experimenting to find the best amounts of meat, meat fat, butter, veggies, etc. It can take the body awhile to adjust to using fats instead of carbs for fuel. I agree with eating animal fat for satiety, and with getting lots of sleep.

I find that too much protein can trigger an appetite. Also, early on in low-carbing I needed more protein for satiety than I do now.

Also, keeping PUFA intake (polyunsaturated fats) at below 4% of total calories can help.

Anything that tastes sweet can trigger an insulin response, and give one an appetite. (Cephalic Phase Insulin Response)

All the best to you. :)
      WOE: Dr. Richard Bernstein's VLC and no sweet fruits, and the 12 Steps of Archevore, per Dr. Kurt Harris' site.

Keep A Clean Food Plan through June 30th Challenge

Over 55.
      Eleven years of maintenance.

Silver I wondered about the protein thing...so if you eat too much protein does it convert to carbs? Im so bad at any biology lol
      You don't need eyes to see you need vision... Maxy Jazz....Faithless

[Blocked Image: http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/heartbar/slider-hearts/kg/130.3/75/107/.png] 155kilos 7/2009...I started this time 19/9/2010

Excess protein can turn into glucose, but I believe you would have to be eating quite excessive amounts of it for that to happen. Protein is the macronutrient that provides the highest level of satiety so overconsumption could prove to be difficult as you can feel full on quite small to moderate amounts.

Im a T2 diabetic...so Im thinking if Im going to snack that a protein snack is the safest as far as a rise in BSL

Obviously fat is the best...I cant think of many thinks that are 'just' fat except a mouthful of butter lol ewww

Im trying really hard not to count calories and measure stuff...I want to be able to eyeball food and eat calmly or else I get too focused and too strict then I crack and spiral lol

Fat doesnt affect BSL as far as I know so Im trying to eat fatty proteins....or add fat to the protein...one day I'll understand my body!

[Blocked Image: http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/heartbar/slider-hearts/kg/130.3/75/107/.png] 155kilos 7/2009...I started this time 19/9/2010

Deena, each person's response to a particular food or amount of that food will be different. Dr. Richard Bernstein explains the science of it in his books and on his websites. No two people have the same pancreatic functions, for example. Diabetics can use the meter and check whether or not a specific food raises the blood sugar a large amount, or quickly, and how long it takes to go down, how low it goes, etc. I have read comments on other sites by diabetics who posted that they cannot eat more than a certain amount of protein or it raises their blood sugar too much. Meters are very handy. :)

Dr. Bernstein suggests reducing the protein amount by two ounces per meal, to lose weight. So, if one is eating six ounces of meat, go to four ounces at each meal. Dr. Richard Bernstein's recommendations of eating the same amounts of protein and carbs from breakfast to breakfast each day, and from lunch to lunch, etc., help keep the blood sugar constant and stable. He recommends 6 carbs at breakfast and 12 for each lunch and supper, making 30 a day. Some diabetics follow the "eat to your meter" method. Dr. Bernstein says one can go lower than 30, but he does not recommend going higher. I think his recommendations are brilliant. Not eating things which raise the blood sugar very much or very quickly. Eating constant amounts, and the small changes in blood sugar, are genius. His book made so much sense to me, in such a strong way, that it was easy to follow his recommendations.

Many use Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's macronutrient formula. If one is 170cm tall, then the standard is 70, give or take ten percent. The standard amount of protein grams (not meat weight) would be 70 per day, plus or minus ten percent. Thus, a range of 63-77g/PRO/d. CHO (carbohydrates) at .8 of PRO, or .5 if necessary, and FAT at 1.5-2 per gram of PRO, for losing weight. The content of what is in the FAT, PRO, and CHO is at least as important as the amounts. (I am strict about amounts of CHO and PRO. I eat as much FAT as I choose that day. Mostly beef fat, pastured butter, and cream. I use some coconut oil. Dr. Peter Dobromylskyj writes brilliantly about eating this way at his blog, Hyperlipid. His analyses and humor are a special delight.

And Sherrie has this article, "Why a Low-Carb Diet Must Be High Fat, Not High Protein", by Prof. John Yudkin in her list of important, low-carb reading.

If you haven't had a chance to read Dr. Kurt Harris' blog, Archevore, it is the best primer I know of. Here are his dietary recommendations, which I follow. If you only have time to read one science-based nutrition website, I highly recommend starting with Dr. Harris'.

If one has cut out the sugars/high fructose corn syrup, grains, and polyunsaturated oils (temperate plant oils, seeds/nuts, etc.), and is following all the other recommendations at the Archevore diet page, and he, or she, is still not losing weight, Dr. Harris recommends going to very low levels of carbs, and slowly decreasing the protein. Here is his blog post on how to lose weight for those with broken metabolisms.

Getting to sleep early, resting well, getting the sunlight one needs, tending one's serenity, and perhaps taking supplements to help heal the damage of a lifetime, might be helpful. Dr. Bernstein recommends some supplements.

Dr. Emily Dean's blog, Evolutionary Psychiatry addresses micronutrients as well as other fascinating things related to food, health, habits, brain health, hormonal balances, etc. She recommends supplements, as needed, too.

Some of us have broken metabolisms, broken satiety switches, and such. Being a diabetic and/or being overweight are two examples of having a broken metabolism. Those of us who have broken metabolisms have to experiment a good deal to find what works well for us. Understanding the science well enough to make wise choices is of immeasurable help.

Dr. Bernstein, Dr. Harris, and Dr. Deans have each put excellent information on their websites, writing enough so that one can understand the whole picture, and the details.

Avoiding, diligently, the things which cause inflammation, disease, etc., is doing much. Once one is living that way, the fine tuning is easier.
      WOE: Dr. Richard Bernstein's VLC and no sweet fruits, and the 12 Steps of Archevore, per Dr. Kurt Harris' site.

Over 55.

The post was edited 16 times, last by Silver: clarification ().

deenalicious wrote:

Obviously fat is the best...I cant think of many thinks that are 'just' fat except a mouthful of butter lol ewww

hi deena,

just an idea.... macadamia nuts (134g - 1 serve): fat: 102g, protein: 11g, carb: 19g (12 of the 19 carb grams are fiber)

cheers,
      lea
      - Thought creates reality and then says I didn't do it! -

TLP wrote:

Excess protein can turn into glucose, but I believe you would have to be eating quite excessive amounts of it for that to happen. Protein is the macronutrient that provides the highest level of satiety so overconsumption could prove to be difficult as you can feel full on quite small to moderate amounts.

I remember once years and years ago there was a lady here on one of the plans and she had a lot of trouble with protein causing spikes and she wasn't over eating it. Perhaps she had some issue causing it? not really something you see often!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

deenalicious wrote:

Silver I wondered about the protein thing...so if you eat too much protein does it convert to carbs? Im so bad at any biology lol

Yes it converts to glucose and in the early stages of a ketogenic diet it apparently happens to a higher degree until your body makes the necessary adaptions to ketosis. So initially you need a higher amount of protein but then after a few weeks you don't need quite as much as your body handles ketones better.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

thanx silver I have read 1/2 of what you recommended .... I will read the rest....I really think menopause is whacking out everything...

thanx sherrie and leaI think I need to start seriously tracking how much fat Im getting

• Re: Sending you good thoughts. :)

Deena, I'm sorry that ended up being such a long post. I just didn't feel right about leaving out anything important, even if takes a few rounds of reading. :)

Due to those changing hormones, getting older, I, too, find I have to make many new choices. A couple of years ago, I found I was gaining weight again, and feeling "crummier", even though I was staying off all the things that got me down to maintenance weight. I think it was hormonal. I found Dr. Harris' and Dr. Dobromylskyj's websites, and changed my food plan again. Doing all those things I wrote about in the last post, and reading, reading, reading about metabolism and the chemical changes that take place due to what we eat, has helped me tremendously. Women of a certain age, are the group that has the greatest challenge to lose weight and keep it off. It's been like starting a new job, or learning a new language, to know and do what I've needed to.

Am sending you lots of good thoughts. :)

Over 55.
    • Re: Sherrie, thanks.

Sherrie, I, too, find that protein is not as satiating as others sometimes report. After reading Kwasniewski, Stefansson, Donaldson, MacKarness, Sandler, Groves, etc., I decided to keep the FAT content of my food plan at least 65% of total calories. I tend to keep it at 80%, and sometimes more. Those are animal fats.

Over 55.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Silver: typing error ().

thanx Silver...the reading wasn't too long lol I prefer thorough

its a strange mix that's happening...allergies that I never had before and sore bones....I'm sure its all related...I'll reread those links....the whole thing is um compounded because the diabetes goes out of whack and then it messes with my head and I get confused...little steps

Sherrie wrote:

I should add I don't find it satiating at all and why I won't do anything protein only.

Wow Sherrie!

Just goes to show how different we all are! I don't find fat very satiating at all. I can keep eating it till the cows come home and I end up getting ridiculous cravings I can't control. Protein fixes all of those issues for me :) The best I ever feel is when I do the BT protein only days. I would love to try and live on this forever! I feel amazing with heaps of energy at the moment! I am thinking about doing it for a full week instead of just 3 days and see how I go! My IBS appear to be gone, stomach bloating and pains are gone, indigestion is gone, energy has returned!