Bipolar and grumpy

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Bipolar and grumpy

Hey guys,

I'm about as bipolar as they come....sanity is not my strong point at the moment as I'm a bit all over the place!!

I haven't been on meds for about six months (single mother, no money!!) but have an appointment to go back on them tomorrow. My dose of sodium valproate is HIGH!!!

Now, last time I was on these things, I stacked on weight like crazy. No change in eating habits, but I got steadily fatter.

Is there anyone low carbing and having any luck keeping weight under control on these meds? I am having a mild (okay, okay, not so mild!) panic attack at the thought of stacking on more weight.

Thanks guys....whinge done. Promise!!
    • Re: Bipolar and grumpy

sodium valproate is a problem in that it messes with what your body does with the carbs and causes cravings. that is why they have a problem with pt compliance with this drug, BUT low carbing will certainly help the gains to be a lot less. discuss this with your doc and ask him if there is anything else u can try.

Hey I haven't looked in to this much yet but I read mention that a supplement known as NAC can help with mood disorders such as schizophrenia and bipolar. Might be something worth googling :)
      I am taking it atm as well as various other stuff for my CFS/ME.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Dr. Emily Deans has some super information at her blog, Evolutionary Psychiatry, on eating for brain health, supplements, etc. I really enjoy reading her blog. She addresses bipolar disorder, and many things which help one feel much better, and have balance. What one eats determines a great deal of the brain chemistry.

Also, Emma Davies has a post at her blog about a ketogenic diet increasing GABA which is good for those with bipolar disorder.

Here is an article on how yoga increases GABA. I find a combination of Callanetics, stretches and yoga, to have great mental benefits. Also, walking outdoors, and rebounding. :)

Ran across this while looking for things on a diet for healthy brain functions. It lists supplements and herbs for those with bipolar.

That's what's in my bookmarks. Help this helps a bit.
      WOE: Dr. Richard Bernstein's VLC and no sweet fruits, and the 12 Steps of Archevore, per Dr. Kurt Harris' site.

Keep A Clean Food Plan through June 30th Challenge

Over 55.
      Eleven years of maintenance.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Silver: typing error ().

Thanks for those links, Silver. I also have Bipolar Disorder, luckily I've been able to go without meds for a while now as I hate them. I've found that eating this way has indeed helped to level things out. I still have little episodes but only little and they are quickly over. I have a feeling that once my weight begins to drop I will find my BD even more balanced.

[Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wlDZtl5/weight.png]

Mini Goals....Reward
      109..........start (24/09/11)
      99............restaurant (19/11/11)
      89............new tops
      79............body treatment
      69............??
      59............??

Carbs feed carbs; protein & fat feed the body - me -

This isnt really related to weight, but how do people/families of people with bipolar deal with it? My partner has it and up until recently hasnt had to be on meds but things started to slide downhill so he was put on some pills and it was just really really hard to deal with living with him.. he acted like an entirely differnt person to start off with and sometimes it was like he had 10 differnt personailities / rapid mood swings! .. and most of the time he looks glassey eyed "lights are on but no one is home" kinda thing.. I was never prepared for the side effects and it was hard to be around
      [Blocked Image: http://swlf.lilyslim.com/6BFTp8.png]

[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="1"]Goal 01: 75Kg .......................... accomplished!
      Goal 02: 70kg .......................... accomplished!
      Goal 03: 65kg
      Goal 04: 59kg[/SIZE][/COLOR]

My partner isn't bipolar though they thought he was at one stage but he suffered severe major depression including attempts on ending his life twice landing him in hospital and at that time we lived across from a railway line so it was quite edgy for a while there! They chucked all sorts of meds at him and cocktails of various meds going at once including lithium which is what they use for bipolar and he also had quite a lot of ECT. There was a time there where he was in a really bad way you could say, Maya was a baby then, we were in a country town and I don't drive so it was quite a challenge so I can certainly relate to some of it that's for sure, I was pretty much surviving on pure adrenalin!

Is he improving on the meds?
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

he did for a while but then started to revert so to speak .. so he stopped taking his meds :-/ i dont know what to do, i think he needs to go see his dr and tell her everything but he is very stubborn and gets moody easily and sometimes i am scared that if the house gets too crazy (3 kids) that it will set him off in an "episode" .. lately he just goes off into the bedroom and lays down when things start geting too much, its hard coz i try to do everything myself so that he doesnt have to do anything and therefor wont feel stressed, the doc did tell him that some people can live fine without medication or episodes for years but stress can be a cause for it all starting up.. which i think thats whats happeend with him coz he has been fine for years but this year has been stressful on everyone because so much has happened this year and im hoping if he isnt going to try another type/brand of meds then at least some of the major stresses we were dealing with have been dealt with so maybe he can get back to being the guy that i know and love best sorry for rant, i have tried speaking with my mum about it but its hard to talk to ur mum about this stuff and so i bottled it all in because i didnt want to talk to anyone about whats been happening :/
      [Blocked Image: http://swlf.lilyslim.com/6BFTp8.png]

[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="1"]Goal 01: 75Kg .......................... accomplished!
      Goal 02: 70kg .......................... accomplished!
      Goal 03: 65kg
      Goal 04: 59kg[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Yeah my mum used to think it was something you could just snap out of. The best thing I found for mine was self esteem. He was at his worst when he started just lying down, I hope things improve for you soon!

I have to go to bed as its way past my bedtime but I was stuck banning spammers, we seem to get so many more these days since I upgraded, I think they are attracted to the blog features. If you need an ear I'm always here as I know what it's like living with someone going through that. Garry finds chromium helps.