Head issues with huge amounts to lose

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Head issues with huge amounts to lose

Hi all I was wondering how you get through the head barrier when you have a huge amount of weight to lose? I have to lose about 40-50kilos to get to where I'm confortable (which is still overweight according to BMI). My head just keeps saying omg it's so much to lose.....it's going to take forever....when will I see a difference etc etc. I'm sure you know the thought processes.

How did you deal with it? Is there anything I can be doing to make it easier?

TIA
      Nicky
    • Re: Head issues with huge amounts to lose

Hi Sweetroseau :)

First of all make small goals, when you reach the first one , make the next goal etc.

I find I take one meal at a time. Most of as forget that our weight we have put on didn't happen over night or in a few weeks.

Another thing that has helped me is starting to say, I chose NOT to eat that, instead of I CAN"T have that.

And if I chose to eat something off plan , I don't keep PIGGING OUT. I get back on plan the very next meal.

SO take one day at a time, they all add up,

YOU CAN DO THIS :)

Hey Nicky!
      I agree, just focus on one step at a time! It's too overwhelming if you think about the whole amount.
      I'm focusing on one week at a time at the moment and I now finding that, as I have stuck to the Atkins induction- that I'm not hungry mostly which helps me heaps. Also- I have a glass of water before I eat anything. I'm also carrying an old photo of myself that I look at to remind me of where I'd like to be eventually.
      Be kind to yourself & treat yourself to something special (not food of course) to celebrate any success.
      I'm also putting some $$ away (even a small amount if that's all I have) for every 200gms I lose- cos one day down the track I'm gonna need ALL NEW CLOTHES!:D

:) I really do understand how it looks at the beginning of trying to lose a large amount of weight...but you know you cant start without starting lol...

Um hmm I agree that breaking it up into smaller goals helps...but more importantly is to catch those voices in your head that say "if I'd only started years ago" etc is beneficial too..no point flogging yourself

What mostly works for me is I forgive myself every morning...whatever happened yesterday is gone...today is a new day and today I start again all fresh and with focus...it might sound silly but I feel 'guilt' has stopped me so many times...if I stuffed up then I may as well stuff up altogether and binge/pig out

Plus...as hard as it is...staying in a good head space makes all the difference...you are worth cooking for....you are worth the effort...
      You don't need eyes to see you need vision... Maxy Jazz....Faithless

[Blocked Image: http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/heartbar/slider-hearts/kg/130.3/75/107/.png] 155kilos 7/2009...I started this time 19/9/2010

Thanks for starting this thread Nicky, it's nice to know that there are others out there who find it all a bit overwhelming. Great to read such good advice, and helps to remind me to take it one meal or one day at a time, and get back on the wagon as opposed to turning it into a binge-a-thon. Also I think rewards do help. I have a stash of money earned during my time at a weight loss support group and am determined not to touch it until I reach my goal weight - then some new jeans for me!!

Thanks for the replies I really appreciate them. I will be using some of these when things get tough. It's good to see that people do understand the thoughts. I think breaking down the loss into small amounts is a good idea. So I'll be focusing on losing 5 kilo increments. Much more achievable.

Thanks xxx

Sweetroseau, it will always seem overwhelming if you look at the weight in total. Do 5kg milestones. Its so much easier mentally to achieve 5kgs than 40kgs. Each 5 lost is another 5 closer to your ultimate goal.

Also dont put so much pressure on yourself or be in such a rush, it's a lifestyle change. If you rush your weighloss, you will put it back on just as fast. Slow and steady is the way to keep it off. Aim for roughly 1 - 2kgs a week. Also something I did to help my partner lose 25kg, is I basically said the salad or veg was his main meal and the meat was the side dish. That was my way of teaching him portion control.

Best of luck :-))

I know its hard, but if you keep telling yourself you will fail, you will. Think positive. Just keep telling yourself "one day at a time". Then the expectation isnt so high. Some days are harder than others, but just remember even if you only lose 200 grams one week, be happy, its still 200 grams lost, NOT gained!!

Best of luck
      x

Angel33 wrote:

Some days are harder than others, but just remember even if you only lose 200 grams one week, be happy, its still 200 grams lost, NOT gained!!

x

Thanks Angel33.. That actually makes me feel heaps better about my 200g loss for last week! You're right I should be feeling positive because I have lost weight, not negative because I haven't lost as much as I wanted to. This whole LC thing is a tad more difficult than I gave it credit for. Nicky I heard somewhere that it takes 21 days to change habits, so I'm guessing (and hoping) that things will get easier for us after the first 3 weeks..

Loz xx

*smiling* you it's all about 'starting' and a small hiccup isnt a place to stop...you dont start again...you keep going...not in the morning not the day after...straight away...the thing is you can't stop as this is what you need to to do to care about you forever...

i sat with my daughter last night watching (would you believe) WWE Wrestling lol...it was her 30th birthday (big dinner party tonight) and she said to me "Mum I want you to be around when Im 60 so look after yourself because I love you" WOW she floored me...

so...being loved is delicious :) loving yourself is a bit harder...keep remembering you are worth it

[Blocked Image: http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/heartbar/slider-hearts/kg/130.3/75/107/.png] 155kilos 7/2009...I started this time 19/9/2010

hey deena, looks like you raised a great kid there :)

about the head games... it doesn't matter how long the journey so long you travel in the right direction (ugh, am i starting to sound like a broken record, or what :eek: *slumps*
      - Thought creates reality and then says I didn't do it! -

hey deena, looks like you raised a great kid there :)

about the head games... it doesn't matter how long the journey so long you travel in the right direction (ugh, am i starting to sound like a broken record, or what :eek: *slumps*)

the kid is 150% dag lol and I deserve her

yup direction is mostly one way lol...slight detours and sightseeing stops

Yep! I'm learning too! Got so excited re my initial loss, but now it's slowed down-yer right- HOWEVER, I'm sticking in there & realising (gees sometimes it's sooooo hard beleiving what u read here- but TRUE!) that it's an eating plan, not a diet!!
      I Have been SOOOO good- but have slowed right down, probably to where I should be but still!
      Am coping with heaps of pain due to osteo, that really depresses me , but I keep reminding myself that losing weight is gonn a help heaps!
      I wish I meet up with u girls & receive a BIG group HUG!
      I am really enjoying having the helpful recipes & links on this site. Thanks so much you awesome ladies!!!!!!!!:)

deenalicious wrote:

yup direction is mostly one way lol...slight detours and sightseeing stops

well, assume you have to cross a mountain (or many) along the way... you can try to go straight up and down again, which may leave you drained and tired (or you die from thin air on the top :eek:) or you can walk around it... or if you come to a river, maybe it's better to look for a bridge some way further upward or downward instead of swimming straight through and risking strong currents... :rolleyes:

This is a great thread! I also have alot to lose (about 40 kg's) and it seems like so much! I too am going to make my goals small and achieveable and not even think beyond them until my bigger goal is in reach. As long as I am losing (or even staying the same for that matter) I am not gaining, which is a positive and a step in the right direction. I have given myself about a year to lose it all. Admittedly I would like to have most of it gone by Xmas but will definately settle for half of it (20 kg's) being gone by then :)