Fabulous Flourless Low Carb Quiche

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Fabulous Flourless Low Carb Quiche

made it today just based on guessing and it turned out amazingly!

[Blocked Image: http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz12/licorice_lilly/Photoon2011-05-06at1230.jpg]

for crust:

2 cans butter beans, drained, thoroughly rinsed and blended into a fine paste
      1 cup almond meal
      4 tablespoons butter
      1egg
      1 teaspoon salt

see revised and improved version further down!

for filling:

1 pound broccoli
      200 grams panchetta or bacon, cut in small chunks
      2 shallots, thinly sliced
      2 cups Gryere cheese, grated
      4 eggs
      3/4 cups thickened cream
      1/4 milk
      pinch of nutmeg
      salt and pepper

(variations for filling are countless! will try mince and mushrooms next)

preperation:

mix all crust ingredients together and stir until combined to smooth pastry. press in buttered pie pan forming a nice high rim. line with baking paper and fill with baking weights, rice or beans. blind bake for 15 minutes at 180 C. remove baking paper and poke bottom with a fork, return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.

in the meantime cook broccoli pieces in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain. roast panchetta and onions until panchetta is crisp and onions are translucent. mix with broccoli, season with pepper and salt.

sprinkle half the cheese on top of the cooled crust, top with broccoli ham mixture and sprinkle rest of the cheese on top. in a bowl, whisk together eggs, cream and milk, season with pepper, salt and nutmeg. pour over pie.

return to oven and cook until the filling has set, 30-35 minutes.

very tasty!
      - Thought creates reality and then says I didn't do it! -

The post was edited 2 times, last by lea ().

• Re: Fabulous Flourless Low Carb Quiche

hi sherrie,

the crust is crunchy/crumbly on the top and the rest is just like a flour pastry.... sheesh, there's an egg in the pastry too, i forgot that, added it just now...

the canned butter beans are surprisingly not cannellini, i thought they'd be, but when i opened the cans they were much bigger, like limas...

i'm going to experiment lots more with this, i can imagine bread and pizza doughs very well!

I will have a look in my pantry and see if I have any from when we were on the failsafe diet, I had beans coming out of my ears then :D
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

[Blocked Image: http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz12/licorice_lilly/Photoon2011-05-08at1405.jpg]

today for mother's day i made another quiche and taking my chances variated the dough. i think this is now the final and perfect version:

2 cans of butter beans, drained, rinsed and purreed into a smooth paste
      1.5 cups almond meal
      4 tablespoons of butter, melted
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon xylithol

mix together and chill in fridge for 20-30 minutes before using, blind bake like the original recipe....

for the filling i used:

3 big shallots, thinly sliced and roasted in pan until translucent
      120 grams salmon, cut in small chunks
      quarter of a big cauliflower, 1/2 head for a small cauli cooked for 5 - 8 minutes
      120 grams of goat's cheese, crumbled

4 eggs
      3/4 cup of cream
      1/2 cup of milk
      2 teaspoon lemon zest
      2 tablespoon fresh dill
      pinch of white pepper
      teaspoon salt

spread shallots cooled crust. put half of cauli on top, half of salmon and cheese then pour half of the egg cream mixture on top. layer again with rest of cauli, salmon and cheese. bake for 35 minutes. let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

it's seriously yummy. make it.

The post was edited 3 times, last by lea ().

Thanks Lea :) I will definitely try your quiches, the one in the picture looks fantastic! I made a Spinach and Fetta tart today - really just like a quiche with no base. I can highly recommend it ;)

Let me know if you're interested and I'll post the recipe :D

Cheers,
      Lisy

sure i am interested, thank you! i love the combination of spinach and feta! :)

my next quiche will be a traditional german one, called "badischer Zwiebelkuchen". the filling is bacon, onions and sour cream (and eggs of course), spiced with caraway and sweet paprika. i can't remember when i had it last, but i can hardly wait. can post recipe if anyone is interested.

You will love it! :)

I love the sound of the German quiche too so if you don't mind posting that recipe too, that would be wonderful.

All these great recipes!!! YAY! :D

Spinach and Feta Tart

Ingredients

100g onion, finely diced
      100g bacon, finely chopped
      200g frozen spinach, thawed
      200g feta cheese, crumbled
      350g ricotta cheese
      6 eggs
      ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180C (fan forced 170C)
      2. Grease quiche dish lightly with olive oil
      3. Lightly fry onion and bacon, add spinach and stir to combine.
      4. In a large bowl combine feta, ricotta, eggs and black pepper.
      5. Add the spinach, onion and bacon mixture – stir until combined.
      6. Pour into dish and bake for 30-40 mins until cooked and top started to brown.

ohhhhh! that sounds indeed very delicious and went straight to my list of next things to cook!

i will try to make the german quiche first before putting a recipe up... who knows, ingredients are slightly different here.... anyway, this quiche is a very traditional and also highly seasonal dish in germany. once every year shortly after the grape harvest, the german supermarkets and wine retailers sell something called "new wine". essentially it's the first wine made from the freshly gathered grapes and its fermentation has only just begun. it tastes very sweet, almost like a cloudy grape juice (but from my own experience i know it can still make you very drunk!!). this wine is traditionally served with "zwiebelkuchen", onion cake :).

[Blocked Image: http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz12/licorice_lilly/Photoon2011-05-11at1951.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz12/licorice_lilly/Photoon2011-05-12at1005.jpg]

as promised the german style onion quiche. it turned out beautifully and tasted exactly the way it should!

pastry:

2 cans of butter beans, drained, rinsed and purreed into a smooth paste
      1.5 cups almond meal
      4 tablespoons of butter, melted
      1 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon xylitol
      3/4 teaspoon ground caraway

filling:

250 grams panchetta (get the butcher to cut very thick slices, like rashers of bacon and chop into dice before frying)
      1.5 kg onions (sounds a lot, i know)
      4 eggs
      250 grams sour cream (can be fat reduced)
      1 teaspoon sweet paprika powder
      3/4 teaspoon ground caraway (or 1 teaspoon seeds)
      1 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon white pepper

preparation:

mix together pastry ingredients, press in buttered tarte pan, line with baking paper, fill with baking weights or equivalent and blind bake for 20 minutes at 180 C. take out, remove baking paper and weights and let cool. return to oven for another 15 minutes at the same temperature.

in the meantime fry panchetta for 5 minutes, add in onions (you'll need a big pan, pot or wok), reduce heat and fry until well reduced, about 20 minutes. don't let them turn brown, just translucent.

whisk together eggs, sour cream and spices. fill onions and panchetta mix in cooled pastry, pour egg-sour cream mix on top and return to oven for 35 - 40 minutes until golden brown.