Net carbs - confused as to what to count

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Net carbs - confused as to what to count

So I must be doing something right since I just hit 10kg's gone today! (16.8kg to go and then maintain)

But ... I am confused. I know I don't have to worry about this with aussie products but with US products, if they tout "net carbs" or "digestible carbs" is that all I need to count, and what does "protected carbs" mean? Are the in witness protection or something ! Looking at something say like dreamfieldsfoods.com/pdfs/facts_angelhair.pdf for dreamfields pasta and am confuddled.

What do these terms mean, and more to the point just what do I count?

I tried doing a search on net carbs in the forums as I am sure I am not the only person who has asked the question, but I couldn't find quite what I was looking for, so I am sorry if you guys answer this question every other day :)
    • Re: Net carbs - confused as to what to count

Hey Rania!!!! :)

Net carbs are the total carbs minus the fibre, I have never heard of protected carbs though. Maybe an American site would have an article on it?

You could just try it and see if it effects you and if it doesn't just go by their net carb count?
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Thanks Sherrie,
      You're always full of info :)

I did some research into protected carbs and it seems equally amazing and a croc of ....

Apparently protected carbs are where the carbs have been modified so they are "not easily digestible". Supposedly then being used the same way fibre is. owever there is a lot of conflicting info re this so I am nto so sure.

Will try some dreamfields and see how it goes.

Just remember sometimes foods that don't absorb well don't make us feel too crash hot either so I would just judge it by how it effects you re the scales as well as how you feel generally.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.