Flourless Almond Broccoli Souffle

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Flourless Almond Broccoli Souffle

[Blocked Image: http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz12/licorice_lilly/Photoon2011-05-10at1542.jpg]

these are some work, but honestly, the outcome justifies every effort, i can't remember when i've last eaten something so... so.... so.... scrumptious. light and fluffy and cheesy-buttery with a crunchy crust. if you love cooking and have the time to make them, you'll love them. on a sidenote, i was totally impressed that almond meal makes such a perfect bechamel sauce, this one, in my opinion almost deserves its own thread....

ingredients:

500 grams broccoli
      1/4 cup shallots, chopped
      1 clove garlic, chopped
      1 teaspoon fresh thyme
      4 Tbsp unsalted butter
      1/2 cup almond meal for ramekins
      3 tablespoons almond meal
      1 cup whole milk
      1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
      pinch dry ground mustard
      pinch ground cumin
      pinch ground ginger
      freshly ground black pepper
      salt
      1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
      4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
      7 egg whites

6 ramekins

preparation:

cook broccoli for 5 minutes in boiling salted water, drain, rinse in cold water and set aside to cool.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in pan, add shallots, garlic, and thyme. cook gently until soft, not brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.

blend broccoli and shallot mixture and measure out 1 1/4 cup of puree.

butter ramekins and coat well with almond meal 9 (keep leftover almond meal to sprinkle over souffles before baking).

make bechamel sauce: over medium-low heat melt 3 tablespoon butter in a medium sized saucepan. add 3 Tablespoon of almond meal and whisk to completely incorporate, continue to stir for a couple of minutes. very slowly add the milk to the mixture, little by little, whisking constantly. stir in 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the nutmeg, cumin, mustard, ginger, and some fresh ground black pepper. lower the heat to low and let cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

after 15 minutes, bechamel should have thickened, remove the from the heat and stir in the cheese. mix sauce and broccoli puree together in a large mixing bowl. taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning if necessary. stir in the egg yolks until well combined.

Preheat oven to 200°C and prepare to make a water bath. dish needs to be able to hold 6 ramekins and enough water to come half up the sides of the ramekins. boil water in a kettle.

add pinch of salt to the egg whites and beat the egg whites to firm but soft peaks. don't over-beat. first fold in one quarter of the beaten egg whites into the broccoli mixture, then the remaining three quarters.

fill ramekins with the mixture, leave 1-2 cm up to the rim. sprinkle leftover almond meal on top. Place the ramekins in the water bath baking dish. place baking dish on the middle rack in the oven and pour boiling water into the baking dish around the ramekins until the water comes up halfway the sides of the ramekins.

bake for 10 minutes at 200°C, reduce the heat to 180°C and bake for about 15 minutes more, until puffed up and golden brown. don't open the oven door until the souffle is just about done, or it may fall.
      - Thought creates reality and then says I didn't do it! -