Jane Kennedy Recipes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Jane Kennedy Recipes

I thought we could start a thread for anyone to add recipes from either of Jane Kennedys 2 books - 'Fabulous Food Minus the Boombah' and 'OMG! I Can Eat That?'.

Boombah-free Zucchini Pizza
      Makes 1 pizza with 2 serves
      1 large zucchini, peeled and grated
      1 egg
      100g grated light mozzarella cheese, plus extra to top
      2-3 tbsp tomato passata
      2-3 thin slices prosciutto
      small handful rocket
      Preheat the oven to 190C. Line a shallow baking tray or pizza tray with baking paper. Put the zucchini into a mixing bowl. Whisk the egg and add to the zucchini. Add the grated cheese and mix well.
      Pour the mixture on to the tray and bake for about 15 minutes, or until a pale gold colour. Remove from the oven, lift baking paper and pizza off the tray and leave to cool.
      Turn the oven up to 220C. Spread the passata over the zucchini base. Top with cheese, then prosciutto. Bake until the cheese is bubbling. Sprinkle over some rocket. Cut into wedges and serve.
    • Re: Jane Kennedy Recipes

Here’s Jane’s suggestion for a simple, low-carb replacement for rice or mashed potato.
      Ingredients: (serves 2 as a side dish)
      Half a head of cauliflower – that’s all!
      PREPARATION
      Step 1
      Break cauliflower into florets and place into a microwave dish with a lid. Don’t add water.

Step 2
      Microwave on high for (approx) 4 minutes.

Step 3
      Whizz the cauliflower with a Bamix or food processor until it resembles cous cous. It should be light and ‘fluffy’, not mushy, so you may have to experiment with cooking times. THAT’S IT.

The ‘rice’ soaks up the juices and flavours of whatever dish you’re serving…without the added calories.

For a potato mash replacement, just use the cauliflower rice and mix in low fat yoghurt and pepper and salt to taste.

Jane Kennedy's Tandoori Chicken:

2 lean chicken fillets
      1 tablespoon tandoori paste
      1 tablespoon Greek yoghurt
      squeeze of lemon juice
      few iceberg lettuce leaves, shredded
      drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
      splash of red wine vinegar or lemon juice
      lemon wedges

RAITA
      2 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
      1/4 continental cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
      1/2 tomato, seeded and finely chopped
      few mint leaves, finely chopped
      1/4 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped

1. Preheat the oven to 210oC. Line an oven tray with baking paper.

2. Wrap the chicken fillets in cling film and use a rolling pin or heavy can to bash them flat. Don't be too vigorous - you don't want them to fall apart. Cut each fillet into around 3 pieces

3. In a mixing bowl, combine the tandoori paste, yoghurt and lemon juice. Add the chicken pieces and mix with the marinade until well coated. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 10 minutes for the flavours to infuse.

4. When ready to cook, place the chicken on the oven tray and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.

5. To make the raita, combine all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve.

6. Toss the shredded lettuce with the olive oil and vinegar (or lemon juice). Serve the chicken with the salad, lemon wedges and raita.

Serves 2

You are in luck Licity as I actually have the chicken parma recipe with me at work. Here it is:

Ingredients:

4 x 140g skinless chicken breasts
      Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
      150g almond meal (I didn't need anywhere near this much)
      Zest of ½ lemon
      3 teaspoons butter
      1 tablespoon olive oil
      500g (2 cups) tomato passata
      120g grated light mozzarella cheese
      Cherry tomatoes, to serve
      1 iceberg lettuce, to serve

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180
      2. Flatten chicken breasts and season with sea salt and pepper
      3. Pour the almond meal on a plate and add the lemon zest. Coat each chicken breast with the almond meal mixture.
      4. Heat the butter and olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and reduce the heat. Cook the chicken for about 10 minutes on one side, then turn and cook for another six minutes. Drain on paper towel
      5. Transfer the chicken to a glass or porcelain baking dish. Pour over the tomato passata. Sprinkle with cheese and place in the oven.
      6. Bake for about 10 minutes or until bubbling. Serve with cherry tomatoes and some iceberg wedges

(I forgot to post the cottage pie pots recipe last night but will try to remember to do it later)

Hi there,

These look nice! Just looked the books up on Amazon. The "Oh My God I Can Eat That" is available to download on the Kindle. One reviewer mentions though that it does not have a table of contents which is a shame.

Cheers to all.
      Cheers,

Ozgal (LCHF looks like the plan for me)

It's all about the journey!

Hi again,

Just wondering if the second book is also suitable for low carbers. Saw this from an online review:

In Jane’s second book, OMG! I can eat that?, she shares some of her favourite recipes, just without all the unwanted fat.

For those who have both books - do they both follow the same theme, i.e. foods lower in carbs? I'm thinking of downloading the Oh My God one to my kindle but hope it's not low fat and higher in carbs than her first book.

Cheers.
      Cheers,

Thanks Sherrie,

Not so fussed about the fats being low or high...just wanted to check the "Oh My God" book was not based around low fat/high carb.

I managed to take a peek at the books in store today - both look lovely. Were $40 each where I looked so a bit pricey. Kindle download of "Oh My God" one is only $US 9.99 so will probably go for that.

Also went to Border's (Jam Factory, South Yarra) today. So sad - empty shelves everywhere. Any book going for $2 each or $1 a book if purchasing 10 or more.

Cheers.
      Cheers,

No worries OzGal, I also purchased the OMG book for my Kindle, but the other one wasn't available as an ebook so had to buy the real thing. Luckily I had a Dymocks voucher someone had given me as a gift so it saved me forking out the $40 for it!

As promised, here is the recipe for the cottage pie pots. These are really yummy and the mince mixture has heaps of flavour.

Cottage Pie Pots

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
      1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
      1 glove garlic, crushed
      1 carrot, finely grated
      400g lean mince beef
      1 tablespoon worcestirshire sauce
      1 tablespoon tomato paste
      Salt and freshly ground pepper
      400ml reduced salt chicken stock
      Sprig of rosemary, finely chopped

TOPPING

1/2 cauliflower, cut into florets
      1/4 cup skim milk
      1/2 tablespoon greek yoghurt
      1/2 tablespoon horseradish cream
      Salt and freshly ground pepper
      Handful of grated parmesan cheese

Method:

Preheat oven to 180.

Heat olive oil in a frypan over high heat. Lower the heat and add the onion, garlic and carrot to the pan. Fry for 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent.

Add the minced beef to the pan and brown it slowly, stirring frequently.

Add the Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, salt and pepper and stir through.

Stir in the stock and rosemary and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and set aside.

To make the topping, place the cauliflower florets and milk in a microwave-safe container with a lid. Microwave on full power for 7-8 minutes or until soft. Tip into a food processor and add the yoghurt, horseradish, salt and pepper and whiz to a smooth mix.

Divide the minced beef mixture between 4 x 250ml ramekins then top with cauliflower puree. Sprinkle with parmesan and arrange the ramekins on an oven tray. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden and bubbling. Serve immediately.

N.B: I used closer to a whole cauliflower for the topping, used full fat milk instead of skim and increased the milk to 1/2 a cup, and increased the yoghurt and horseradish to a full tablespoon of each. I still didn't end up with heaps of topping on each pie (there was just enough), but I think my ramekins might be slightly bigger than the ones she used. Even still, I would suggest increasing the topping quantities like I did to make sure you end up with enough (you can always throw any extra out).