Jane Kennedy Recipes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Jane Kennedy Recipes

Jane Kennedy's Beef Stroganoff

500g blade steak
      sea salt and freshly ground pepper
      1 teaspoon sweet paprika (I use Hungarian)
      1 large onion, sliced
      1 garlic clove, crushed
      1.5 tablespoons olive oil
      12 button mushrooms, quartered
      25- ml salt-reduced beef stock
      1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
      4 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
      1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
      0.5 teaspoon cayene pepper
      0.5 teaspoon ground chilli powder

in a large bowl, season the beef with salt, pepper and paprika.

Heat a non-stick frying pan with 1 tbspn of oil and brown the beef in batches. Set beef aside.
      Add another 0.5 tbspn of oil and add the onion and garlic - saute over medium/low heat for 5 minutes.

Add 1 tbspn of water to add moisture to the pan and stir. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Add the stock and Worcestershire sauce. Add the beef to the pan and stir through.

Cover with a lid and simmer (on low heat) for 45 minutes. If you don't cover it, it evaporates. Bleeuuurrgghhh...

Take off the lid and cook for a further 10 minutes for the sauce to thicken.

Add the yoghurt, mustard, cayenne pepper and ground chilli and stir through. Cook for another 10 minutes.

Serve with steamed vegetables or cauliflower rice.

This recipe is amazing and so good for winter weather. I make up a batch on the weekends and measure out 150g serves for lunch/dinner.

Licity wrote:

Does anyone have a copy of Janes' moussaka and lasagne recipes?? I've never made moussake but Im keen to make this low carb version:)

Moussaka

Ingredients:

3 long thin eggplants, cut lengthways
      Sea salt and freshly ground peper
      3 tbs olive oil
      500g lamb mince
      1 large onion, chopped
      1 garlic clove, chopped
      1 carrot, chopped
      125ml (1/2 cup) white wine
      1 tsp dried oregano
      ½ tsp allspice
      ½ tsp ground cinnamon
      Pinch of nutmeg
      ½ tsp ground cumin
      Pinch of cayenne pepper
      250g (1 cup) tomato passata
      1 bay leaf

BECHAMEL SAUCE

300g light Greek yoghurt
      2 eggs
      Pinch of nutmeg
      Sea salt and white pepper
      35g (1/2 cup) grated parmesan cheese
      30g feta cheese

Method:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Place the eggplant on a tray lined with baking paper. Sprinkle with sea salt and drizzle with olive oil.

Bake for about 20 minutes. Take out of the oven and, keeping the eggplant on the baking paper, slide off the tray and set aside.

Heat 1 tbs of the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the mince and lightly brown. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Pour off the liquid and using the same pan, add the 1 tbs of the olive oil. Add the onion and cook for about five minutes, or until translucent.

Add the garlic, carrot and 1 tbs of water and cook for another five minutes.

Add the wine and let it sizzle, then add the lamb mine, oregano, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, cayenne pepper and sea salt and pepper. Stir through. Add the tomato Passata and the bay leaf.

Turn the heat down to a simmer, pop the lid on and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take off the lid and cook for a further 10 minutes to let some of the liquid evaporate.

Line a large ovenproof baking dish with some slices of eggplant. Top with a layer of the meat mixture. Add another layer of eggplant and the rest of the meat mixture.
      To make the white sauce, combine the yoghurt and eggs. Add the nutmeg, and a pinch of sea salt and white pepper. Pour the mixture over the meat and sprinkle with the parmesan and feta.

Bake for about 35 minutes, or until golden brown and the cheese sauce is bubbling.

Serves 4-6

Lasagna

Ingredients:

3 zucchini
      Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
      1-2 tbs olive oil
      100g pancetta
      1 onion, finely chopped
      1 carrot, finely chopped
      2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
      2 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
      2 bay leaves
      2 sprigs thyme, finely chopped
      400g coarsely minced beef
      200g coarsely minced pork
      2 x 400g tins tomatoes
      185ml (3/4 cup) red wine
      200g grated mozzarella cheese
      100g grated parmesan cheese

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Slice the zucchini lengthways and place on baking paper on a baking tray. Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil and bake for about 20 minutes. Don’t let it soften too much. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.

Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the pancetta until it just changes colour.

Add the onion, carrot, garlic, rosemary, bay leaves and thyme and cook until the veggies soften a little.

Add the beef and pork and cook for about five minutes, or until the meat changes colour.

Add the wine and let it sizzle, then add the tomato and 500ml (2 cups) water and bring to the boil. Turn the heat right down and simmer with the lid on for about an hour and a half.

To assemble the lasagna, take the zucchini slices and place a layer on the base of an ovenproof dish. Add a layer of the meat sauce and sprinkle a layer of mozzarella cheese on top of the meat. Add another layer of zucchini, a final layer of meat and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and the parmesan on top. Bake for about 35-45 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.

Serve 6

ozgal wrote:

Hi Melly,

Gotta love the Kindle! About to purchase Jane Kennedy's OMG ebook. The parma chicken sounds lovely - might try that first.

Cheers. :)

I definitely love my Kindle, the only annoying thing is that you can't copy and paste from the Kindle for PC program, so I have to type out all the recipes to save them on the computer. But I suppose you would have to type them out from a paper recipe book anyway, so can't really complain!

Hope you enjoy the parma, I really liked it :)

Hi Melly,

Purchaed the OMG kindle version last night. Have had a quick peek through. Gotta love Jane Kennedy's writing style - witty and humourus!

Some of her ingredients can be a little on the expensive side (at least for some of the first few OMG recipes). The recipes posted in this thread so far though sound lovely and ingredients are regular and not too pricey, which is great.

Just a tip when trying to copy paste from Kindle if reading on your computer using Kindle for PC. Just use a screenshot program. I love Screenhunter and have used it for years. Plus it's free. Here's a link.

wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm

Although you can use the screenshot to capture the Kindle for PC page you are reading, you will not be able to manipulate the text. Better than re-typing though.

Cheers and thanks for the recipes!
      Cheers,

Ozgal (LCHF looks like the plan for me)

It's all about the journey!

Hi Melly,

Purchaed the OMG kindle version last night. Have had a quick peek through. Gotta love Jane Kennedy's writing style - witty and humourus!

Some of her ingredients can be a little on the expensive side (at least for some of the first few OMG recipes). The recipes posted in this thread so far though sound lovely and ingredients are regular and not too pricey, which is great.

Just a tip when trying to copy paste from Kindle if reading on your computer using Kindle for PC. Just use a screenshot program. I love Screenhunter and have used it for years. Plus it's free. Here's a link.

wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm

Although you can use the screenshot to capture the Kindle for PC page you are reading, you will not be able to manipulate the text. Better than re-typing though.

Cheers and thanks for the recipes!
      Cheers,

Ozgal (LCHF looks like the plan for me)

It's all about the journey!

Thanks ozgal, I do actually take a screenshot of the Kindle pages but I still prefer to re-type it rather than just saving the screen shot in Word. I usually end up emailing a lot of recipes to people so I like them to be typed out properly :)

I love Jane's writing style too, very funny! I like the sound of a lot of the appetizers in the OMG book, haven't made any of them yet though. I need to have another look through the book and pick out some new dinner recipes to try, need to keep the variety going!

One recipe I definitely recommend from the other book is the cottage pie pots, which I posted the recipe for earlier. They are SO yummy and perfect winter comfort food!

You can't just copy and paste exactly as it is here it's copyright straight from her book. If you want to do that, get her permission.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

I do type them out, but what's the difference between typing it out and copying and pasting it? We type them out word for word so how is that any different to copying and pasting? I thought it was ok as long as we are giving her credit for the recipes (which we are).

melly845 wrote:

I do type them out, but what's the difference between typing it out and copying and pasting it? We type them out word for word so how is that any different to copying and pasting? I thought it was ok as long as we are giving her credit for the recipes (which we are).

Hey Melly, it's protected by copyright so if the author wanted to take issue with it she could. Mind you, I am not sure how that works for recipes but yes best to put in your own words. Ultimately it is free advertising for her on one of the best platforms (a low carb forum) but some get funny about it. I have had to take something down before because an author complained about it, can't remember what it was other then it was an article someone had copied and pasted and there was a link to them but they still threatened me.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Licity wrote:

Has anyone found or used the coconut sugar that Janes uses in her desserts?? I am interested to know the carb count, I have a feeling it will be higher than I hoped..:(

I actually have some coconut and palm sugar a brought years ago out of curiosity but I never did get around to trying them, they were rock hard cylinder shaped blocks which I found in an Asian supermarket. Definitely not low carb though!

Sherrie wrote:

Hey Melly, it's protected by copyright so if the author wanted to take issue with it she could. Mind you, I am not sure how that works for recipes but yes best to put in your own words. Ultimately it is free advertising for her on one of the best platforms (a low carb forum) but some get funny about it. I have had to take something down before because an author complained about it, can't remember what it was other then it was an article someone had copied and pasted and there was a link to them but they still threatened me.

Fair enough, I can see why some might get funny about it since we are sharing the recipes with people for free rather than making them pay for the book. Was just confused about how it was any different copying and pasting rather than typing it out word for word so thanks for clearing it up :)

I just wanted to let you know because it would suck if she contacted me and asked me to pull the thread down on you guys.